Kidney Disease Questions

Discussion in 'Shih Tzu' started by Julie Marlow, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Julie Marlow

Julie Marlow New Member

Name:
    Julie

Kidney Disease

Hi, I have a 6 year old male shih Tzu called Doug who has just been diagnosed with Kidney Disease, we are trying a new diet to see if that helps, I am so upset, so any advice help with diet etc would be much appreciated
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I 'm sorry to read that dog is suffering from failing kidneys. Six isn't very old, so this must have come as a shock to you. When I was younger the accent was always on bland foods for kidney problems in dogs, - rice, potato, boiled chicken breast or white fish. These days there are prescription kidney diets, which I imagine will be what your vet will have supplied. Apart from warning you not to feed any shop bought treats, I think you probably would be better following your vet's advice on diet, as he/she will know the extent of kidney damage that your boy has suffered.
  4. Julie Marlow

Julie Marlow New Member

Name:
    Julie
    Thank you for your reply, we have just had more blood tests and although I have followed the Royal canin renal diet food and cooked fresh vegetables etc nothing is helping I feel so lost as what to do but thank you for your words