King charles spaniel and heart murmers Health

Discussion in 'King Charles Spaniel' started by pippam, Jan 6, 2012.

1. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a

King charles spaniel and heart murmers

No more common then in cocker spaniels, nearly all the cocker puppys that get returned to breeders are down heart murmers from what ive notticed.

is it true to the spaniel types or mostly the king charles?? They seem very prone to getting heart murmers is this down to problems associated with age? Or is it more to do with poor breeding??

Almost all the King charles spaniels I know have had a heart murmer at some point in their life it seems fairly simple to treat depending on the level/grade??
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Ae you talking about King Charles or Cavalier King Charles? Where are these dogs from? Are they from byb or show breeders? Who diagnosed the heart murmurs?

Your post is confusing and very generalised.

ETA a vet cannot diagnose a heart murmur in a very young pup. Many pups have what's known as a double heart beat (this from my vet) that is perfectly normal and healthy.
  4. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i presume you are talking about cavaliers, king charles arent that common...

decent breeders wont breed from dogs that have heart problems, and there are tests to see if they have one or not.

its the BYB that do not care about genetic problems as they like to make the money and sell to the general public who just want a pet.

for instance my friend has just bought two cavaliers from the same litter, and the parents have had no health tests done. but its ok "because they are just pets"

also this thread should be in the toy section rather than utility.
  5. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    I guess what I should have put was are heart murmers age related or genetic?? Are they common amongst a specifc breed type??

I ask because my friend had a king charles and when it got passed the age of 5 by this time it had been re homed but the previous owner still checks up from time to time however, she came from a KC pedigree breeder who had health tested.

A friend of the same friend had a King charles spaniel too but this was from a BYB and never had any health problems despite were it came from and the fact it was very obese, despite being walked and fed the right food.

A lady I have met recently has a King charles cavelier rescue dog that its disabled owner gave up after not being able to cope anymore and her dog was around 5 when it was diagnosed with a mild heart murmer.

I had seen on rescue sites cocker spaniels diagnosed with mild heart murmers and this were puppies o.0''
  6. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    to be honest i dont know much about it because the breed i own doesnt as a rule have heart problems.

certain breeds can be affected, i know boxers have to be heart tested.

again im not too sure on the genetic v age debate. it can be genetic, thats why parent should be tested from, but i imagine there are other factors that could cause one too.
  7. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I assumed she was talking about the CKCS - I have only ever met two King Charles, they are not common at all (round here).
  8. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i thought that, ive never seen a king charles unless its at a show. even then there arent many off them.
  9. Nikki

Nikki New Member

Name:
    nikki
    I've got ckcs and he's 19 months, I'm his fourth home sadly so I had him vet checked and he hasn't so far got a heart murmer.

I do have his pedigree and have been trying to track down his breeder but to no joy!

I know he was originally brought from somewhere in london and the name of the breeder but I can't find anyone under her name breeding them so I gather he could be from a BYB.

When I spoke to the vet she said that 95% of cavaliers she has seen have had heart murmer and was quite shocked that Max didn't have one. Fingers crossed he won't but I gather he could get it when is gets older.
  10. Nikki

Nikki New Member

Name:
    nikki
    I don't think the king charles have the same problem as the cavaliers?
  11. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i know. its just that in the original post, it wasnt stated that they were referring to cavaliers, as it said king charles spaniel.
  12. Nikki

Nikki New Member

Name:
    nikki
    Sorry i was just asking as I wasn't sure my self:blush:
  13. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    its ok thats why i pointed it out :lol: :lol: as anyone that reads just the first post doesnt really know which breed is being referred too :lol:
  14. Nikki

Nikki New Member

Name:
    nikki
    I think people get confused between the two :) There's not a lot of different apart from the nose area:lol:
  15. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Jodeeuk will hopefully see this
  16. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i was thinking that :lol:
  17. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    It was the King Charles Spaniel that my friend had thats why I was asking

the one I met recently had a King Charles Cavalier which was the later.

I didnt know that about that the King Charles was so rare o.0
  18. Nikki

Nikki New Member

Name:
    nikki
    I've never really seen a king charles but I've seen lots of cavaliers :grin: so I think they are quite rare :-o