Latest on first weekend with sam and question?? Questions

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by BeagleDad, May 11, 2009.

1. BeagleDad

BeagleDad New Member

Name:
    Dan

Latest on first weekend with sam and question??

Well we've had Sam since last Wednesday and it's been almost too good! :lol:

After a few days of settling in she is now much more alive, still not as much as I imagined, but much more alert and getting used to us and her surroundings etc.

Basic training is not bad at all, but have Beagle Deafness Syndrome when calling off a scent :lol:

Two questions if I may, she keeps trying to eat bark and anything really, she choked on some this morning. How do I stop this? How do I help if she really really chokes?

Also she eats grass which I thought meant she had something missing from her diet or was not feeling too well? Is that true?

THANKS ALL :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. IsoChick

IsoChick New Member

Name:
    Shelley
    Glad you're still having a ball with Sam!!

In terms of her eating bark etc, you need to start a 'leave' command with her, and use it as soon as she starts showing interest in the undesireable object. Does she eat it when she is on walks, or is it in the garden?

In terms of the grass eating, my two do this all the time :roll: Sometimes they do it and make themselves sick, other times, nothing happens. Max munched a whole load of grass yesterday afternoon and spent the time laying upside down on the lawn - not a care in the world!! He wasn't sick or anything, so goodness knows why they do it!!
  4. BeagleDad

BeagleDad New Member

Name:
    Dan
    Well not just bark, can be anything! On walks, and then all of a sudden she has started eating stuff out of the garden. She brings them in to eat!

To teach a leave command, when I say leave what do I do?? I guess try to get the stuff out of her mouth?

Thanks 8)
  5. IsoChick

IsoChick New Member

Name:
    Shelley
    I was always taught the leave command using treats...

OK, so take a treat in your hand (something Sam really likes) and offer your hand palm up. Don't say anything.

As soon as Sam goes to take the treat, close your hand quickly and say "Leave it" in a firm voice. Don't allow any nosing of your hand.

Try this a few more times, and see if she gets the hint. When she just sits/stands and looks at the treat in your open hand; you can then give it to her. Don't let her 'take it' from your hand though, offer it to her.

This could take a while - one of my boys picked this up really quickly, the other kept nosing my hand and giving me a paw :roll:

I then change to putting the treat on the floor and giving a 'leave it' command - your aim is to have the dogs sitting or lying near the treat and not trying to eat it.

This also could take a while!

You can then go on to walking past food (on a lead) and giving the leave command.

Always remember to praise when Sam 'leaves it'.

I use this command for all sorts - undesirables on walks, plates/food left within reach, nosey dogs in the kitchen/garage/garden etc.

If Sam has something already in her mouth, the leave command probably won't work. You can offer her a swap for a high-value treat or toy, so that you don't take the offending article for yourself, without giving her anything in return, but rather swap it for something of equally high value.
  6. BeagleDad

BeagleDad New Member

Name:
    Dan
    Ok thanks, that's really helpful..... she is really good at waiting for food and treats until I say ok but that's using the stay command once she is sat waiting.

So, onto the leave command.......
  7. Hannaho

Hannaho New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    Hi ive got two beagles ,
    my oldest choked on a stick and lucky my partner was there and got it out (he had to use a blunt knife because it was that far down)! but shes fine and tried to eat the stick again lol.

ive never known a beagle not to want food all the time they dont seem to refuse anything they find and mine always bay at anything

if you tell sam to leave the food she should listen to you but i dont think you can stop her barking its just in the breed to bark or bay at whatever the find! even if its a bee or a fly in the garden!

hope everything goes well she look lovely

oh and alot of people say never let a beagle off lead, - ive never ever had a problem with mine there recall is great alot better than my mums jackrussell!!!
  8. BeagleDad

BeagleDad New Member

Name:
    Dan
    Hi Hannaho

Thanks for that at least I know she's not doing anything odd lol!

Don't want to stop her barking, when she does, I was refering to her eating tree bark.

Started work on the recall with a 100ft training lead so we'll see how she goes. After never being off lead for first 6 years of her life, could be an interesting one!
  9. JIMMY LAW

JIMMY LAW New Member

Name:
    JIM
    If you can walk with other dogs and their owners you will find this alot easier with the recall. It gets my blood boiling when you hear that Beagles should never be let off a lead they have been bread to run all day long. Sam sounds like she is quite calm so a pack enviroument should work ok. As for the bark eating just try treats and a command to leave.Quite a few Beagles i know eat bark including one of mine, if she is chewing sticks and eating it, this is when it can be dangerous to there insides. Also do not let her eat the rubber balls or tennis balls, as i know of Doberman who died eating tennis ball rubber and getting lodged in her insides.
  10. BeagleDad

BeagleDad New Member

Name:
    Dan
    Cheers Jimmy, had amazing week. Got her off the lead for first time in her 6 years! Wonderful. Also stopped all problems with barking etc as she just wanted to play.

AMAZING to see her come to life and run etc etc.

Cheers
  11. Bonwillan

Bonwillan New Member

Name:
    iain
    We have three Beagles they eat grass all the time, its a bit like walking a heard of sheep at times. As for recall you can train Beagle to recall to a whistle, we did this with our first Beagle and her recall is now very good. Just blow the whistle when its food time or when she is down the garden and when she comes to you give her a tasty treat and she will soon catch on the the whistle is good, news. It tends to cut through the Beagle deafness somewhat aswell.

We do dog agility with our three and they really enjoy it plus it gets them tired very quickly.