Leo Puppy Questions

Discussion in 'Leonberger' started by TeenageCanineLover, Nov 23, 2014.

1. TeenageCanineLover

TeenageCanineLover New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Azz likes this.

Leo Puppy

Hello Everyone!
    My circumstances are in a near-to-perfect condition to add a second dog to my canine family.
    My family have been researching this breed for more than 2 years and feel like time wise and space wise we can offer this breed a place in our lives. However, I do have a few queries about this breed.
    1. I have a small female Yorkie, 3 years of age. I understand that the size difference is in fact monstrous but fully believe that with the correct supervision, determination and training this should not be an issue. Would the Leonberger in your opinions be suited to this?
    2. What brushes would best be used to groom a Leo? I have heard of the Furminator, would anyone recommend this?
    I understand health testing and am aware of LPN, HD, ED and other issues. Thank you. I look forward to hearing your replies. xxx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Emma!

I am afraid that I cannot give you any advice as I do not know anything about Leonbergers but hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will be able to do so.

In the meantime

Good luck with your search for a Leo - and I look forward to hearing about your little Yorkie and seeing pictures of her! :)
  4. TeenageCanineLover

Name:
    Emma
    Malka likes this.
    Thanks xx beautiful dog by the way. xx
  5. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    LOL trust me your female Yorkie will correct the pup as to rough play. But do keep a eye open to the pup not taking the hint.
    My questions would be are you getting a male or female? Is your Yorkie same sex aggressive? Personally would advise a male pup as there is less of a chance of these issues with different sexes.

Al the giant sized dogs I've had have never had a issue playing with small dogs.
    Current Mouse at 150 -160lbs plays with a 20lb terrier and has never hurt her. Old EM I had was a peak 240+ and played with a 3lb teacup poodle.

You will be very surprised how the giant breeds are with small children and animals, there extremely gentle.

While I have not met many Leo's know a few BMD and hear the temperament is close and both wonderful with there families.
  6. TeenageCanineLover

Name:
    Emma
    Thanks for your reply. xxx
    We are definitely interested in getting a male as we don't want to risk same sex aggression. Your stories about your dogs and their size difference really reassured me. It's encouraging.
    We also had been looking at BMDs and I understand where you are coming from!
  7. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Hi and welcome

I have a tiny Chihuahua who meets and plays with big dogs, including Mastiffs. He lives with a very big and clumsy Standard Poodle and they find ways of playing so Chico doesn't get hurt (I don't know about poor Pepe though, who often has Chico hanging from his ears!)

I do know a lady near here with two Leonbergers - we haven't bumped into her since having Chico, but I have no worries about him playing with them. They have wonderful temperaments. When I see her I shall ask her about grooming and the Furminator.

Hope it all works out for you!
  8. TeenageCanineLover

Name:
    Emma
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate your reply.
    That's good to hear as well that the difference in size does not affect the dogs being able to play and socialize, that did worry me!
  9. TeenageCanineLover

Name:
    Emma
    Also would anyone know how much they shed? This would not bother me but I do know that it concerns my mother. Thanks x
  10. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I don't know about that. But they are such a lovely colour, that I'm sure it would look most attractive if they left hair everywhere!
  11. TeenageCanineLover

Name:
    Emma
    Ha! That is the point i will be using to sell my mother on the dog! Brilliant stuff thank you! Personally i don't mind shedding because i feel that the reward you will get in having a loving dog will be well worth it!
  12. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Will check but believe there a twice a year blow out and not a world class shedder like a Newfie or long hair saint. In other words brushed weekly and daily during blowout.
  13. TeenageCanineLover

Name:
    Emma
    That's great thanks. I'm pretty sure its spring and autumn blowout. I was just concerned about them being a "world class shedder" as you put it!!
  14. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @TeenageCanineLover - Emma, Pereg is short-coated but she sheds all the time as well as blowing her coat - although that is mainly on haunches for some unknown reason - huge tufts of blonde hair that I just pluck out! She is black and tan, although more tan with a black scruff and saddle, but the tufts that come out are blonde!
  16. TeenageCanineLover

Name:
    Emma
    Also does anyone who owns one know the daily exercise requirements?
    I'm loving this forum as i prefer to learn about the breed from actual owners of the breeds rather than random all breed websites I could find on the internet that aren't very personal such as wikipedia, dogtime etc .
    Thanks a mill xx
  17. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Finger of thumb for excise for puppies is 5 mins for every month old they are, so ideally first walkies should be between 15-20 mins long {puppies being 12-16 weeks old}
  18. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole

and Little Eddie.
    Hello Emma, have you thought of asking the Leonberger Club for advice? Their details are on the Kennel Club website. I think a Furminator might take out too much undercoat - Yes, you would save on the shedding, but possibly lose out on that lovely full coated look. You need to be careful with all the giant breeds not to do too much exercise too soon, but breed club members will usually give good advice, (I would always ask my questions to more than one member). You have just missed Discover Dogs for this year, but have you thought about visiting a Championship show where the breed is scheduled? - I don't know your area, but Crufts schedules all fully registered breeds. (Again the KC website should have this info.). This will give you a chance to see more than one Leo in the flesh, and provide the chance to talk to enthusiasts.
  19. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    6JRT is exactly correct it is 5mins per month old for the first year.
    here's a shot of him and 2 of the dogs he rough houses with. You would think they where killing each other but there is never a drop of blood or even a wimper.

Attached Files:

20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Emma - Carole is right about the Furminator. It is ideal for a short-coated dog like Pereg, who does have an undercoat on her back and haunches [not on her head, front legs or belly though], as is a shedding blade. I do not know whether a shedding blade would be any good for the coat of a Leonberger although the dog trainer who helped me with Pereg when she went through the "Kevin" stage used a shedding blade on his Golden Retriever. But of course a Goldie does not have a coat like a Leo.
  21. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I can remember the owner of the Leonbergers here having to do very short walks to begin with - much shorter than both she and the dogs would have liked!