Leo Puppy Questions

Discussion in 'Leonberger' started by TeenageCanineLover, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Lovely shot. Chico's head often disappears completely into Pepe's mouth - I must try and get a picture of it!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. TeenageCanineLover

TeenageCanineLover New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Thanks for your replies.

Yes I am aware of the 5 minutes per month of life rule. :!:

I have frequented the Leonberger Club of Ireland website which is the national and only Leo Club in my country. I also emailed a breeder a long while back but did not find the information that they gave me too satisfactory. :roll:

There are not many all-breed dog shows around lately, just one in the summer that I know of locally but this summer I arrived too late and missed the Leos!!! :021: :089: Also the Leonberger shows are over for this year and I wasn't aware of them taking place until they were over :(

I also wasn't aware that the Furminator could damage the coat if it takes out too much, so thanks for that tip off as they are quite pricey here so wouldn't want to waste that on a damaging tool.

I should probably rephrase when I said exercise requirements I really meant are they a hyper/active breed. I have received several contrasting answers from owners of similar breeds so am quite confused.

Any help is much appreciated. :041:
  4. TeenageCanineLover

Name:
    Emma
    Ha thanks! I myself am not an extremely active person but would definitely put the needs of my dog and future dogs before my own desires (to laze on the couch!) I just would not want to get a breed that I would be in over my head with, in that I wouldn't be able to keep up with it's physical needs and end up with a giant, restless and in turn destructive because of boredom dog!!
  5. TeenageCanineLover

Name:
    Emma
    Also, would anyone be aware of the amount of food required daily to feed an adult dog of this size?
    I've been told it is not as drastic as one might presume by the appearance of the dog, but would love to know a rough figure? Adult males weigh about 140-170 lbs.
    Thanks in advance xx
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    You really are doing your homework Emma - well done!

Again, not having a large breed I cannot help you and in any case I feed raw, but first I would check with whatever breeder you choose what he/she feeds their dogs on - and not to take too much notice of amounts recommended on commercial dog foods.

Whatever you decide, I would recommend getting a pair of electronic kitchen scales - a cheap pair as they are no less efficient than an expensive pair unless you are a professional baker - and weighing food, not just going by "x cups of x food".

I am not sure how much the above helps you, but perhaps it is another thing for you to think about? I really wish I could help you more.

You really are going about the right way of acquiring a new member of your household!
  7. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I haven't any idea about how much food they need - I'm sure a breeder could advise you, or someone here who has very big dogs. I think you're right about it not being as much as it might seem. I did know someone who had several German Shepherds and a Pyrenean Mountain Dog, and she said there wasn't much difference in the amount they ate.

With regards to exercise, I might be wrong but I get the impression from the ones I know that they tend to get their exercise more from playing with other dogs than from going for very long walks. I know the owner is always delighted when she sees Pepe my Standard Poodle coming - he's always up for a game! As soon as I see her again, I'll try and get some more information from her - I know she is a very experienced Leonberger owner, and these aren't the first ones she's had.
  8. TeenageCanineLover

Name:
    Emma
    I appreciate all of that information and thank you for your replies

I do have a scales and I also agree with you when you say to not always go with the commercial dog food recommendations.

Thank you also @Malka for noticing my efforts, even though I am only 16 I fully believe that a matter as such should not be ruled by the heart but by the mind and it must be thought through and researched thoroughly before making such a huge commitment.

Thanks @Janet for your info too x That's what I was also thinking - more exercise through socialization and play time rather than a vigorous hike etc

It has always been between a Leo or a Newfoundland. I have to say though Newfoundlands are much easier to come across, less expensive to purchase, have a wider network in my country and vicinity and they also seem to be easier to research. Any thoughts?
  9. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Only thing bad about Newfie's is they are world class shedders.
  10. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I don't think that's what Emma is hoping to hear!
  11. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Food wise is by judgement and build. Mouse per month is 150 dollars US a month to feed roughly
  12. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    I actually can't think of a breed that sheds more or close to the amount.
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I think the GSD would come close :lol:
  14. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    When I used to go to Obedience Training Clubs, you could always recognize the GSD owners even if they hadn't got their dog by their side, because they were nearly always covered in hair!
  15. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    IMAG0675.jpg

Well obviously none of you have ever owned a Shar-Pei! This is what came off Georgie when she went to the groomer in September - and she wasn't even shedding her coat. Come April, I'll get twice as much! (Pei are half the size of a GSD).
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Loose hair can be easily coped with.
    All your clothes and furnishings just need to be the same colour as your dog.
    If more than one colour of dog, - mingled clothing, Berber carpets and never ever wear black.

If I had written, 'Forty Shades of Grey', it would have been about my clothes!