Lets see your Lurchers!! Photos

Discussion in 'Lurcher Forum' started by Razcox, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    She is actually a lot finer boned than a full Grey and she has the Saluki temperament and the classic Saluki sing, not a bark but a real singing voice.
    She is quite a character.:grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. juliekelham

juliekelham

Name:
    julie
    shes lovely
  4. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch

It`s already been answered on the thread but just to clarify a couple of things, they don`t have to `look` like a sight hound type build to be a Lurcher, and these days, [ as opposed to hundreds of years ago ], any dog with any percentage of sight hound is a Lurcher regardless of what they look like or are built like, if there is a sight hound in there then they are a Lurcher.
    Lurcher is indeed a type not a breed and there are other type names also such as Whirrier which is Whippet x Terrier, [ but still come under the general Lurcher umbrella ], and as Nippy has said a sight hound to sight hound is a Longdog :grin:

This is my Lurcher, Fluke, he`s Saluki x Border Collie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Foo

Foo New Member

Name:
    Foo
    I have 2 working lurchers..
    Minxy is Deerhound X Collie/greyhound
    [​IMG]

And Foo is a Whippet X Collie 1st cross
    [​IMG]
  6. juliekelham

juliekelham

Name:
    julie
    minxy is lovely,i love the deerhound crosses
  7. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    Thank you, she is GSD x Greyhound (Dam) and Rhodesian Ridgeback (Sire), so spot on with the GSD but no staffy i'm afraid!
  8. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    Lurchers were originally (and most of the time still are) created for work as has been said already and they are not really a designer breed as they are a very worky dog rather than a 'pretty' dog, which most designer crosses are bred to be. They do not sell for much at all usually, if anything, most lurcher pups are free to good homes. Sadies mum was a working Lurcher, purposely bred for work, she was a greyhound/GSD first cross (as a matter of fact, the GSD was actually hipscored) but Sadie and her siblings were a complete accident. Her next door neighbors' ped Ridgeback boy got over a 6ft fence and into Sadie's mum's garden to romance her! So technically she is a lurcher/ridgie cross as she is not a sighthound/working 1st cross but is still classed as a lurcher, she was also the only one in her litter without the ridge. I believe a couple of her siblings went on to become working dogs but Sadie is just a pet.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  9. Foo

Foo New Member

Name:
    Foo
    Minxys dad was a very successful show dog but the owners never liked to mention the incident under the carport :shock: lol
  10. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    Sadie's dad was shown but i'm not sure how well he did, I was only 14 at the time and not really into showing but I do remember them saying he was regularly shown as I used to think these show dogs were all perfect dogs that never put a foot wrong and found it funny at the time how naughty he'd been. :shock:
  11. Foo

Foo New Member

Name:
    Foo
    Lol it was village scandal that 'them with the big deer dog up the road' had lost it lol It was found tied to Minxys mother under my friends carport lol not only that but they were both on a kids trampoline :lol:
  12. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Foo is lovley! But then i am biased about collie greyhound types. Dave (my OH) would happily steal your Minxy though!

Cassie is used to work as well but she is on a long summer hoilday at the min until the corn is cut and the sheep moved. Cassie can't be bothered with sheep (too large and slow) but even the sight of her sends them into a bit of a panic. I think it might be the black and white markings that remind them of BC!
  13. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    PMSL that must have been a very funny sight! :mrgreen:
  14. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    All lovely Lurchers/Longdogs, don't you just love 'em? :grin:
    Minxy's story had me :lol: :lol: :lol:
  15. Abbey

Abbey New Member

Name:
    Wendy
    This is Jake, he is a first cross Bedlington Whippet and is 1y old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He is just a little dude at 20" and weighing 11.8kg.:grin:
  16. Agility-mongrel

Agility-mongrel New Member

Name:
    Jo
    [​IMG]
    Dan (Black and Tan unknown cross lurchery type!) and Myrtle (as a pup, collie x type!)
    [​IMG]
    Myrtle as a pup again, she's grown a collie type coat with a beard and feathery grey trousers now! She still has tiny pin-eyes though!
    [​IMG]
    Dan with his Frisbee which we use to redirect his immense drive to chase anything that moves!
    Jo
  17. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    As a bit of Lurcher history. Only wealthy landowners were alowed to keep the noble sighthounds, deerhounds, greyhounds, etc. So sneaky poacher types would take their mutts over when they were in season and try to get them mounted by the posh dogs, then use the lurcher puppys for poaching. There was a time in the 15th and 16th centurys where owning a lurcher was illegal!

Here's Pharaoh
    A greyhound crossed with a Saluki/pharaoh hound

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And in his pegasus form :)
    [​IMG]
  18. Agility-mongrel

Agility-mongrel New Member

Name:
    Jo
    Are those wings actually attached to Pharoah somehow or is it computer trickery?!
    Whichever, it makes a great-looking photo!
  19. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    computer trickery:) It's a thing I do to teach people photoshop, I put wings on animals, so of course I had to do it for all my dogs:).
  20. tokyo

tokyo New Member

Name:
    mark
    This bundle of trouble is Olly, a Grey - Collie cross.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  21. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Some great dogs there

You can decide if he's a lurcher or not but here's Skye.

For anybody new he's a 1st cross - Deerhound X Old English Sheepdog

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]