Lhasa Apso . anyone own one? General Chat

Discussion in 'Lhasa Apso' started by rough, Aug 18, 2012.

1. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal

Lhasa Apso . anyone own one?

If so can you give me a little general info on them please. :017:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
  4. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    A friend of mine has 11 What would you like to know ?
  5. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    Hi Sal, I had a gorgeous little Lhasa Apso 'Cassie' for 15 years. She was a fantastic family pet, brave, loyal, up for anything and a wonderful companion.
    I let her get her full coat but it involved so much grooming and she got so muddy when it was wet that I chose to give her a 'puppy cut' when she was about 18 months old .... but they do need daily (if not every other day) brushing through.
    Lhasa's muzzles are longer than a shih tzu and therefore are not prone to suffer from breathing problems (or as likely to).

Naturally make sure you go to a reputable breeder and do some research as they (like most other breeds) do have some health issues which can be eradicated with good breeding.

They can be stubborn and you have to make sure you are firm with them when they are puppies.
  6. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    thanks thats great. i'm guessing they are great with children 6+??.

Its for my sister and i don't know anyone in the south that breeds them. Been to local show today never saw one there:009:
  7. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    thanks for replying. still researching but any breeder recomendations in SE or there abouts would be great:004:
  8. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    duhh i never thought to look:mrgreen: thanks Azz
  9. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    They can be incredibly stubborn-like all Tibetan & Oriental breeds. They are not the easiest of breeds to train as they are very quick to learn bad behaviour as well as good

They need daily grooming from day 1 & never ever have them clipped as this damages the hair roots, scissoring the coat is fine. If this is the root the owner goes down, the coat will still need daily grooming & regular trimming.

Suitable for children from 6 upwards errr yes if the kids are dog savvy.

To find a breeder I would suggest going via the Breed Clubs
  10. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    thank you very much. yes kids used to mine x will contact bred clubs8)
  11. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    Funnily enough I have two Tibetan Terriers and they aren't stubborn - well they haven't been allowed to be.

Also I did clip my Lhasa (No 8 on her body which left it about 1" long) as she got older and her hair was no problem and she always looked lovely and like a puppy even when she was 15yrs. In fact she was gorgeous!!!!:lol: Few dogs would put up with small children poking them etc, so providing children are taught from a very early age that they have to be gentle and to give a dog peace and quiet most dogs will be fine with small kids.
  12. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    i like TT's lovely dogs;-)