Lhasa Apso or Shih Tzu - What breed should I choose? General Chat

Discussion in 'Lhasa Apso' started by Paddy_MC, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Paddy_MC

Paddy_MC New Member

Name:
    PaddyMc

Lhasa Apso or Shih Tzu - What breed should I choose?

I want to get a small, lively dog, but am undecided between a Lhasa Apso or a Shih Tzu. I have read conflicting characteristics on both. Some books and websites that Lhasa Apsos have a low level of aggression and have a low tendancy to bark, others say they have medium or high tendancy to bark, likewise with Shih Tzus.

Can owners of both dogs give me any more accurate information on the barking and aggression towards both people and other dogs.

Thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. shaza

shaza New Member

Name:
    Sharon
    Well I own a Lhasa Apso, not really sure how much help I can be to you. They say Lhasa's dont bark a lot, and I have to say it's true in my case. But they also have a very strong character. I really believe it's down to how they are trained, as with any type of dog.
  4. cocomo

cocomo New Member

Name:
    mollie
    i have an elderly shih tzu x and in her youth wasnt very barkie pretty much only if nessecary but she did used let the neighbouring cows know at night when she was off to bed by running to the wall and barking but now that a housing develepment has gone up where the cows used to be shes gone quiet , she really only barks to be let back in

the above is cleary agreat help!

i agree with shaza its down to training tho we didnt train to stop barking at the now non exsistant cows she just stopped!!!
  5. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    i have a lhasa cross dax... she has a very dominant character, wary of strangers.. and barks if she thinks she hears something. But not sure from which side of the cross it comes from.

My sister has a shih tzu x who again barks at noises and strangers... but who is the soppiest most loving dog i know. But again not a true example of the breed because of the cross (poodle/bichon)