Licking paws excessively Questions

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Jlhoke, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Jlhoke

Jlhoke New Member

Name:
    Jami

Licking paws excessively

My current Jack has been licking the tops of his paws excessively, to the point they are becoming red and he’s losing fur! My previous one had something similar that turned out to be yeast. I have taken him to the vet and he has now had an antibody shot, Zyrtec, 28 day course of oral ketoconazole in addition to topical spray and shampoo, but no luck. Anyone else experience anything similar? We struggled to find the correct diagnosis with my previous one and I thought for sure it was yeast as did the vet. We haven’t made a dietary changes and his food is grain free.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Bev Ann and CaroleC like this.
    How old is your dog? What is the protein source of his food? What brand? Does he get treats, and if so have they changed recently? Chicken is the most common allergen in dogs food.
  4. Jlhoke

Jlhoke New Member

Name:
    Jami

He turned 1 at the end of July. His food is Wholehearted Beef and Pea, grain free. We definitely don’t give him chicken. He does get treats that are new, but they didn’t change until after he started licking and his other treat has been the same since the beginning.
  5. Angus and Piper

Angus and Piper New Member

Name:
    Steven
    Bev Ann likes this.
    Allergies is what causes that .
  6. Bev Ann

Bev Ann New Member

Name:
    Bev Ann
    My 15 yr old JR suddenly started licking incessantly too. I was told "allergies" but being treated isn't the same as finding the source... My RunWay is on Senior Iams and has always been an Iam doggo...good luck!!