Limber Tail Health

Discussion in 'Dalmatian' started by polkop, Jun 4, 2015.

1. polkop

polkop New Member

Name:
    terry

Limber Tail

Hi

Has anyone had any experience with limber tail as prince seems to be holding his tail down today instead of it being in the usual dalmatian position.

I am calling the vets in the morning to have him checked out but would like any advice you have on how to deal with it until then.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It does happen in Beagles too, (when it is called Beagle tail). Merry had it for the first couple of days after she came to me, but I'm sure that was just her way of showing insecurity. I have heard of other cases being blamed on the whiplash effect of dogs shaking, and often occurs after coming out of water.
  4. polkop

polkop New Member

Name:
    terry
    It could be shaking I am just hoping that he has nothing more serious and with it being late on I can not get hold of a vet until tomorrow on the plus side he seems to have no pain so that makes me think it is not a fracture.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Just had a look in my Beagle book. The Health section is written by a breeder/vet. It says that violent shaking - usually after bathing or swimming - bruises the nerve and muscle, and stops the tail being lifted. It usually only lasts a day or so, but if it persists the dog may need an anti inflammatory from the vet. Also suggests checking the anal glands, in case there is pain making the dog hold it's tail down.
    If it has only happened today, I wouldn't worry yet.
  6. polkop

polkop New Member

Name:
    terry
    Ah OK thank you so much for your help. :)
  7. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Wow I never knew about this. That is kind of scary.
  8. polkop

polkop New Member

Name:
    terry
    It is when I noticed it my first thought was that he may have broken his tail but after looking online it seems to be this limber tail thing it is supposed to be harmless overall however I think getting it checked out is the best bet as if it is not this I want it treated asap.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I hope he will be OK after a sleep.
    This was Merry on her first full day with us.
    Eyesopen.JPG
    Perfectly OK in all other ways, slightly touchy, but certainly no pain.She was like this for almost 48 hours - no problems since - her tail has been spring loaded ever since!
  10. polkop

polkop New Member

Name:
    terry
    Yep that is pretty much what his is looking like he seems to be getting a little pain from it if touched now but from what I have seen that may happen I know it is silly but it really plays on my mind if he is hurt or otherwise not functioning as his usual self.

Awesome looking dog by the way. :)
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thank you! She is a joy. Her breeders had given her a shampoo and groom, thinking that it would help Eddie accept her - so she could possibly have shaken herself dry. Coincidentally, their top winning dog had the same condition at a Champ. show that weekend. Never happened before, and not since.
  12. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Its usually called "swimmers tail" for exactly the reasons given, violent shaking after bath or swimming, basically they give themselves a dead tail, but it usually rights itself after a few days............. if not them seek vets advice in-case its something more is going on.
  13. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Funnily enough with Shar-Pei its normally called either "cold tail" or "cold water tail" ... don't ask me why!
  14. polkop

polkop New Member

Name:
    terry
    I have finally found out when he first got the injury it was pretty much instantly after playing with a pull toy yesterday this is because he shakes all over when he is playing with it but I did not put it together until this morning.

He is in all other ways fine this morning and nothing I can see that indicates anything other than this so I am just going to have him on shorter walks for the duration of the healing process and hold off on calling the vets unless he gets worse in any way.

Thank you all for the help. :)
  15. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    polkop likes this.
    K9 had droopy tail I took him to the vets were they give him a injection & within 2 days he was holding his tail high again