Lock jaw Discussions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by bolty, Oct 22, 2005.

1. bolty

bolty New Member

Name:
    Shane

Lock jaw

this is a mith (i think it is), the jaw's of any dog do not lock they just have a verry good grip, when a staff bites and "lockes on" the jaws do not LOCK they juat have some heavy back-up (big jaw mussles) that help them to stay put.
    am i righ to say this? (if not put me right :grin: :grin: :grin: )

Shane
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Anne

Anne Global Moderator

Name:
    Anne
    Your right Bolty, there jaws don't lock but those big cheek muscles have the power to have a very good grip.
  4. Saz

Saz New Member

Hi Shaun, you are right, as Anne has already said its the powerful muscle around the jaw line. Gets me how Kai will just look at me as if to say ya cant open it :shock: so relaxed with it :lol:
  5. bobbie3917

bobbie3917 New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    your right again :)
    if any breed of dog had a lock jaw it would die cos after it had locked its jaw how could it eat its food LOL
  6. Saz

Saz New Member

LOL :lol: :lol:
  7. bolty

bolty New Member

Name:
    Shane
    maby there would be a releaes somewhere :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  8. bobbie3917

bobbie3917 New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    well its true LOL
  9. bolty

bolty New Member

Name:
    Shane
    what is true? the releaes, maby you could tell me where it is case he wants to "lock on" :grin: well on 2nd thought dont tell me :smt078(why is this little head being sick out of his eys?thats what it looks like :lol: :lol: :lol: )

but no what bit do you mean is true? the eating thing coz i was not saying your wrong just having a giggle :grin:

Shane ;-)
  10. bobbie3917

bobbie3917 New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    i was saying what i said was true
    they hold on to things like they do cos if they were in a fight or on a bull they would be thrown around if they could not hold on then they would get killed
  11. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    what i thought is that the staffy can 'lock on' but they can unlock themselves, but humans cant unlock thier jaw!

im sure im wrong but i swear i read this somewhere
  12. bobbie3917

bobbie3917 New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    no, to lock there jaw they would have to dislocate it and then how do they put it back? if we dislocate something we need help putting it back and it really hurts, think about it how can u get your jaw back in place on your own?

its a myth
  13. Russ

Russ New Member

Name:
    Russ
    no such thing as lock jaw, jaws like a vice yes but not lock jaw.
    Just distorted media scare mongering :evil: :evil:
  14. Roxy

Roxy New Member

Name:
    Roxy
    The jaw-lock is definitely a myth. The original Staffordshire Bull Terriers would bite the bulls nose and hold on until the bull dropped, dogs that let go of the bulls nose were not considered 'pure-bred' and either put down, but definitely not bred again. After many genereations of this they came up with a dog with a fierce bite and a high threshold for pain, but definitely still a dog with the same anatomy as other dogs and not a super dog, with a mechanical jaw.
  15. candie

candie New Member

Name:
    sally
    compared to my 2 labs my 2 staffs have much more powerful jaws and stronger cheek muscles so they literally do latch on and cling on when fighting, and are very hard to prise apart.so although they are techinically built the same as any other dog , i think they are a lot more powerful in the jaw area!! :grin: :grin:
  16. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley

nope your right! just this is what i heard but im sure what i heard is wrong!
  17. dennysmum

dennysmum New Member

Wish i could have a lock jaw for the other half with only me having the key :twisted: He He

Just think peace and quiet :grin:

Supere glue just doesn't have the same effect (i know,tube split other end,got it on my fingers, got a hair in my mouth, :shock: yes very painfull bleeding lip :smt107 )

:grin:
  18. bullterrier

bullterrier New Member

Name:
    Stefan
    No such thing as lock jaw, only strength & tenacity.
  19. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    It's a myth Shane :D
    [​IMG]
  20. Adele4dan

Adele4dan New Member

Name:
    Adele
    Def a myth, Iv prized Gregs jaw open to get things out he should'nt have! Before I owned a staff someone told me the only way to unlock their jaw was to stick your finger up their bum:shock: ! YUK! Thankfully its a myth! :grin:
  21. SBT

SBT New Member

Name:
    SBT
    I don't think a dog with a locking jaw and a head that splits could be alive