Lock jaw Discussions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by bolty, Oct 22, 2005.

1. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Listen...Staffs, Pits, American Bulldogs, Presa's etc do not have locking Jaws they, just bite real hard with alot of force and tenacity and don't want to let go.

If your dog does this whilest playing you need to buy or make a breaking stick..If you don't know what a break stick is imagine a hammer handle with a wedge shape on the end that you can put between the gap of your dogs rear teeth and twist gently to make it release :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Oh and another good way which we use at athletic field day for when a dog might catch the lure is water squrted up the nostrils...But please don't belioeve the one about jamming your thumb in it's bum, you'll just get a smelly thumb haha
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

YOU ARE JOKING RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

So when your Staffie is playing ball or tug and he gets a little to into the game, you need to keep a broom handle near by to prize it into his mouth wedge it open,!!!!!!!! I take it there's no risk of breaking its jaw or penetrating the membrane on the vulnerable part of his mouth/tongue,

Have you ever heard of training a dog to "leave" "drop" and bite inhibition, as a puppy, !!

I cant believe a responsible Staffie owner /breeder is giving out such techniques on this forum.

From what I understand such measures are used by the "fighting" and "macho men brigade!!!!!!!!

Disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2010
  5. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Totally agree,
    My three have been taught bite inhibition and the drop it command.
    I can remember back in the 80's where the RSPCA attended an organised dog fight,the rspca didn't have a clue what they were doing and tryed using a breaking stick to part the fighting dogs......
    The one dog ended up with a completely shattered jaw and ended been put to sleep,all because it wasn't used correctly.

We have owned SBT's for nearly 20 years, and never had a breaking stick,never will either.
  6. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Charlie :) not much information there..

..How old is the dog, is it still a puppy ,
    ..locked onto what exactly a human, another dog,
    ..in what circumstances ?
  7. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    1. I don't own Staffy's..
    2. I knew the pc brigade would be all over this :lol:
    3. What if someone had got the dog at say 2 years old and it was never taught to out ?
    4. I do teach the leave/out Command and it works very well, My dogs are always trained well. But like I say at the staffy athletic trials I attend alot of well trained dogs won't out so a breakstick or bottle of water is used.
    5. It doesn't damage the mouth at all, that just shows how little knowledge you have on this subject.
  8. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Sorry but I actually cracked up at the RSPCA breaking a pitbulls Jaw with a breakstick, your meant to use it to open their mouths and it works very well....not to beat them about the head with...God I hate the Rspca
  9. charlie x

charlie x New Member

Name:
    charlie
    hi my staffy is 2yrs old, we have had her from a dogs home, she has never showed her teeth or locked on to anything i just would rather know what to incase she does... i dont think for one minute she would ever do a thing like that as i have had her for nearly a year and we are slowly but surely managing to train her and she is such a kind, loving natured dog. i just like to be prepared just in case of... As i have heard about their very strong jaws and how they cant latch on. xx:grin:
  10. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    If used incorrectly they CAN damage the dogs mouth!

I don't see what is funny about a dog having it's jaw shattered :shock: and then as a result been pts :-(
  11. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    It's funny because it's probably not true if it came from the Rspca...Just think how hard you play with your dogs ? Could you actually break its jaw trying to pop it open with a piece of wood ??

A choke/pinch/halfchoke/tug toy/flirtpole/springpole..... nail clippers can damage a dog if used incorrectly...

People only have a disliking towards break sticks because they are associated with dog fighting, why do you think dog fighters use them ?? Because they work and they work well without harming the dog..
  12. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    I just saw that you own Boxers Jackbox...How would you possibly know about the drive, tenacity and shear determination some Sbt's have got ? I know some Sbt's who's eyes look like they're about to pop out of their heads and scream and howl like a fox at the very sight of a lure, weightpull etc and some at the very sight of another dog...Now I'v seen some staffs who's OB is on point with a schutzund dog that still wont out from a tug or Lure, it's just a bulldog thing that has been bred into them for Generation after generation.....Even some of the most titled ( scutzund 3 ) American Bulldogs & Pitbulls wont out, so what do you do ? just hang around waiting or use a breakstick ??
  13. k9luva

k9luva New Member

Name:
    michelle
    My 3 yr old staffy had a fight with a neighbours dog:-( I could not get him to leave go. Thankfully the damage was minimal as it was through the railings. He has always been a friendly dog with ppl and other dogs, adores children and normally obedient and responds well to command. I am now concerned as i have heard it said that once a dog has had a fight or as they say, tasted blood they are ruined and are likely to be aggressive. Can anyone advise is this true or not? I really hope not.
  14. Adam P

Adam P

I don't believe the Jaws lock, they just hold on more strongly than other breeds and attempts to get them off generally increase the level of drive.

I advise people with staffies ect to do lots of leave/out with the dog on gradually more exciting toys. I recently finished working with a staffie bitch who would hold onto household objects and her body builder owner couldn't make her let go. By teach her out/leave from scratch and building up she now drops anything on a single command.

I find you can trigger an out or leave by pushing the lips GENTLY against the teeth or into the teeth if the dog isn't too in drive.

K9luva

Hard to say without seeing him. If he's still socialable with others I wouldn't be concerned, he was probably very worked up by the situation. If he's begining to get aggressive I'd advise you contact a decent trainer to help him over it.

Adam
  15. dave g

dave g New Member

Name:
    dave
    Theres no such thing as lock jaw, they just say it about dogs that have a good bite and can hold on without letting go, like pitbulls...
  16. bolty

bolty New Member

Name:
    Shane
    W0W lol, this thread was put on 22-10-2005 and its still on the first page 8)

I no that no breed can "LOCK" there jaws :lol: , I put this thread on just to get people talking :blush:
    might have sounded like I was asking the Question but no ;-)

has been a good read :024:
  17. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    A thread resurrection , this happens from time to time!!;-)

No its not true, the fight could have been a one off, some form of territorial behaviour through the fence,

But to be safe, just be a little more careful with him, there is a small chance he may become more aggressive IF he is allowed to get into any more scrapes, but from "tasting blood " NO,

Sometimes when they have been involved in a fight , it may make them a little more weary of other dogs and this will then channel a reaction, so the more good encounters he has the better for him.

Funny what old threads bring back up ,isn`t it, because I would have missed this completey.

The fact I dont own a Staffie , does not exclude me from understanding 1) a dogs jaw does not lock 2) breaking sticks are used by an element of society that should not own dogs in the first place!
  18. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    You are a tool you know that right!! Just saying what you just did clearly screams out you don't understand.

I think explaining to you would be a waste of my time as I think no matter what I said you'd still be in the RSPCA mode of thinking that breaksticks are for evil dog fighters, but for others that aren't so narrow minded to think anyone who uses a break stick shouldn't own dogs I'll explain.

Any dog (not just bullbreeds) with really high prey drive, wether it was bred to be that way or not that when gotten hold of something that it won't let go of be it a rabbit a lure at an athletics day or even the neighbours cat etc a breakstick is the quickest/safest and most painless way to open up your dogs mouth. No kicking the dog like I have seen before, no screaming at it..Both of which will stimulate the dog to hold on more, and definately the old finger up the bum trick!! for obvious reasons lol.

If you own a dog that is how I just described a breakstick is an essential tool to have around.
  19. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Infact at every athletics day for dogs I'v ever been to there is always one around just incase, now these well experienced dog folk wouldn't use one if they were so horrible and dangerous would they. All you do is straddle your dog grab it by the collar and with the other hand insert the BS into the gap between the rear teeth and twist gently and it will open the mouth.

Now what is so terrible about that ?
  20. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    So are people that use a flirt pole and treadmills evil dog fighting irresponsible dog owners too Jackbox ?
  21. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    funny enough i have a very high prey drive dog that 'grips' and wont let go...... i put my own hand where you would put that stick....he spits me out and the offending article ;-) (or should that be offended article lol)

no just lazy :)