Lock jaw Discussions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by bolty, Oct 22, 2005.

1. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Are you taking the mickey ? So because your "so called" high prey dog opens his mouth when you put your fingers in it means every other dog will do the same ? Why would people have used BS's in the 1st place, if only they all knew what you do!!! lol

Have you any experience with a high prey drive bullbreed or terriers ?

Flirt poles and treadmills are conditioning tools, anyone who uses them for 100% of their dogs fitness regime is like you say "lazy"...The point I was making is that people only have a negative outlook on BS's because of their association with dogfighting, as do flirt poles and treadmills...apparently.

At the end of the day a BS is a piece of wood ( a hammer handle with a tapered end ) that is used to easily open up a dogs mouth...and that's it.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    yes when i put my hand in he does because he has good bi he is gripping not trying to kill the object.

anyhoo..whoh steady boy:roll: ... did i say that everydog should do the same? no! did i say that what you should do? no! i was making an obsevation!!!

did i have state my opinion on bs? no!!

i stated my opinion of treadmills as i know what conditioning is i own working sleddogs among my pack :roll:

take a chill pill..read posts properly before jumping on peeps...then u might not sound like a sterotypical owner ;-)
  4. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Sorry for jumping the gun, I was wound up by people like Jackbox who clearly have no idea on this subject and have a polerized view on certain things he/she has no knowledge of and thought you was the same.

Bulldogs aren't trying to kill when they're holding onto something, unless they're in a dog fight situation, they're doing what they were bred for...Holding and not letting go, they are bred to hold Hogs/cattle that I can imagine are bloody hard to hold onto. Bullterriers and terriers try to kill by gripping and shaking as again this is what they were bred for, it really annoys me that certain apparent dog loving people on here will demonise a bit of essential kit (for certain dogs, not all) that will one day possibly save the dog or another animals life if an accident was to happen.

The more people are educated on bullbreeds the better, they're not evil killing machines but quite a few that have the traits they were bred for need carefull ownership that sadly is hard to find in this day and age.
  5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Oh dear, you certainly cant take a different opinion to yours can you:shock: :shock: without reverting to insults.:roll:

I have no idea what a "flirt pole "is, so will pass on that one, as for treadmills, as Tupacs2legs says, they are for lazy owners in the most part, (I can see the use for long distance work) but a treadmill is NOT going to break a dogs jaw or severely injure his mouth by a over zealous owners, behaving like mr macho:roll:

You are not the only person to own a prey driven dog or a bull breed you know, yet I have never had to resort to sticking a piece of wood into my dogs mouths to get them to open and drop.

Not sure why you think peopel think bull breeds are evil killing machines, many many people own them and live perfectly happy lives and have never needed to use a stick to open their dogs mouths.

You seem to be saying if you own a bull breed you need to carry a breaking stick round with you, "just in case" its needed!!

Well in that case, I stand my my opinion, anyone who has that mentality should not own a dog never mind a bull breed:roll:

Teach your dog a release, if you have to carry such a tool around with you for emergencies, then your dog should not be off lead or allowed to get to other dogs if you are worried its going to be in such a prey mode!

BTW, refrain from the insults, its demeaning of you:-(
  6. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Again you seem to think they are an evil tool used by evil people, why ? If it is a safe painless way than why do you have such a problem with it, is it because of those ridiculous RSPCA reports you have read ?
  7. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    What RSPCA reports:-/

My opinion is bases on the fact that IF you have to resort to use a TOOL on a dog to get him to open his mouth, then you are doing something wrong!! YOU (general, not you personally) has failed,

Its a big macho man thing, he needs a big macho tool to fuel his ego!!
  8. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    No it isn't, you really just don't get it!! as you have probably never met a dog like I am describing..I see plenty at every bullbreed athletics day i attend..The dogs get so worked up and in drive that when they do finally catch the lure they wont release, simple as that. Nothing macho about it, some dogs have the traits they were bred for and that is not opening their mouths so what's best to use a BS designed to open a dogs mouth without any harm or just wait untill it gets so tired of holding on it passes out or chokes to death ?? There is no macho anything involved, like I said I know more women that use it than men as they feel safer knowing that if an accident was to happen they are equipped to deal with it as quickly an as humanely as possible.

You just have a bee in your bonnet about something and can't accept I'm right, I don't even know why I'm still argyuing with someone who has no clue about the subject she is arguing about.

So I'm an electrician and my father is an accountant, should I tell him how to do my books knowing hardly anything about what he dos and how he does it ?

No.
  9. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    The bee is firmly in your bonnet, who is right is down to an opinion. you have yours I have mine.

I dont need to participate to know that if a "sporting dog" needs to be prized away from his target with a stick stuck in his mouth , its an unpleasant sport, one which involves people who like to use hard man tactics on their dogs.

The tool is not harmless, for someone to have to report to such measures in getting a release from their dog needs to rethink another hobby for their dog!

Not forgetting you implied, that anyone with a bull breed needs to carry a breaking stick , "just in case of accidents"!:shock:

Macho individuals, putting their dogs into a sport that needs a breaking stick , stuck into a dogs mouth to undo something you have encouraged it to do, says it all really, it is far from OK.:roll:

Just my opinion ofcause, if you dont like it fine, no need to answer if it upsets you to much.
  10. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    I accept that you have your opinion but my opinion is that you are wrong in your way of thinking that using a BS is in someway a bad thing...Do you think choke chains and prong collars are evil too ?

Could you explain to me why it is such a horrible thing ?

So is the lure racing/weightpull/longjump/verticall climb put on by clubs up and down the country far from Ok ?

I'd like facts and any proof to any harm inflicted on a dog by the use of a breakstick.

Also I'd love to know why everything has to be a macho thing, my girlfriend isn't very macho. Infact she's extremely pretty and takes very good care of herself, so is she trying to be macho if she was to use one ?

You really have it stuck in your head that they are a bad thing and somehow by you keep repeating yourself that it backs up your polerized views.

I's like to hear your response to my questions but please don't ask me any further questions as I don't think we will get anywhere anytime soon.
  11. longford

longford New Member

Name:
    james
    Just to add being in ownership of a treadmill flirtpole and breaksticks along with a bullbreed and mags is asking for trouble 8) it falls under the animal welfare act and they will use it against you (rspca)
    tera your wasting your time :roll: and I would go back to game dog or southern athlectic boards;-)
  12. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I have not asked you any questions, other than a general inquiry as to what a "flirtpole " is :? (not sure I want to know):roll:

Your the one who came back all "wound up" because others dont agree with forcing a dogs mouth open with a stick, for most of us its a unacceptable practice,

Your right on one thing though, we wont get anywhere anytime soon, you think prizing a dogs mouth open with a stick is harmless and part and parcel of a sport , I dont!
  13. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    a flirt pole is a very long object that young buxom lasses offer your way so they can get better tips.

personally,i luv 'em
  14. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    lol at prizing and forcing, your very good at trying to make simple innocent things seem really bad. I'd hate to have such a negative outlook on life. It must be hard hating so many things you have no idea about.

You should really have a little knowledge on a subject before attempting to argue a case you have not one little tiny bit of a clue about. But I'm guessing your going to anyway.

Goodnight.
  15. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    I must be amazing, Punch was a bull terrier, and when he had that attack and went for Honey I managed to get him off using my hand and using the right part of his jaw, now if I didn't have to chuck Honey and Diesel out of the room I might not of then made me mistake, as I wouldn't of been so distracted, but there you go, you learn from yours mistakes, but I must be so strong in doing that ;).

Don't like break sticks, too many stories of them going wrong, to the dogs suffering, prong and choke collars can cause harm to the dogs too, so don't like them, I don't see why people feel the need to use them tbh, weightpull I think is fun to see, although am wanting to see it in the flesh, not seen a lot of the vertical climb etc, but I have seen the drive in a playing staff, and I love it, I love how you can hold the toys up off the floor and play with them and the dogs will jump and hang on, I've seen a lot of terriers do this too, I wouldn't do it for long, but boy, it wears them out quick, espcially if you are spinning around at the time so they have no idea where it will be, lure coursing, go for it, great fun, would love to do it myself with my non bully breeds, and I use to go with my old dogs to a local show where all dogs were welcome to try, terriers, whippets, Deerhounds, even the GSD's and cross breeds had a go.

But lock jaw, unless you are a person, and you have tetanus, yeah, but a breed of dog, no.
  16. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ..is it just me.... but if said dog is 'working' and grips but wont let go of the object because it is so wound up that u have to use a stick.... isnt that an 'out of control dog rather than a trained dog???:? :?
  17. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    This is a flirt pole, I know of a few people who use them, and not just for bully breeds.

[​IMG]

Heres some info on them, they are in themselves fun, I mean even cats play simalar, I suppose it just matters how intense the play gets, and whether you are comfortable with it.

http://www.cosmos-staffords.co.uk/Training/Flirt_Pole/flirt_pole.html

JTS I haven't looked at the whole site, so don't know what else is on there, just looked at the flirt pole section.
  18. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    I would say, yes bullies can be stubborn, but the owner should be able to control the dog without having to resort to practices that if go wrong could go very wrong for the poor dog.
  19. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    my lot would love the flirt pole... me thinks i may be making one this avo ;-) :)
  20. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Me thinks mine would love it too, but I don't think it would be a good game to try in a flat :lol:, but if you make one, remember photos ;) :mrgreen:.
  21. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    No, it's in drive not wound up, totally different things. If the dog was acting aggressive and trying to redirect his bite towards a human or another animal then yes it would be out of controll but just showing a trait the breed was selectively bred for is not out of controll by a longshot.

People are acting like it's the owners making the dog not want to let go, like I have said a thousand times it's what the dog was bred for, it's like saying a husky is out of controll for wanting to pull it's owner down the street..They don't all do it but some of them do.

I would love to see more breeds attend the athletic days I have, there is allready collies, lurchers and small terriers aswell as the bully breeds excelling at weightpull.

The flirt pole builds prey drive and is a complete body workout but can be stressfull on dog with week joints...but be carefull your dogs may not want to let go mwwauuhahahahaa!!!

Also it is a training tool used by dogfighters to condition their dog so automatically comes with that attached like a breakstick, treadmill etc.

I use a horse whip with a carrier bag tied to the end so even if they didn't want to let go I can still pull it out and all they're left with is a bit of plastic bag to spit out.