Lock jaw Discussions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by bolty, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

Exactly, the point is simple, you use your dogs "Drive" and tenacity to grab something he .she refuses to let go off, then you have to resort to using a "tool" to open the dogs mouth , because the dog in is such prey drive (human induced) that you cant get it to " release " any other way!

Chaz, thanks for the picci, and for the explanation, have to say my mind was in overlord trying to figure it out.:lol:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    i think my Tupac may enjoy these 'athletic days' any links tera? ;-)
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    No it is not, you have encouraged your dog to be so reactive to prey, you have to resort to using a stick to open his mouth when you want a release.

The Staffie/bull breed temperament has evloved over many many generations from the "baiting" boar or wild game, they are no longer needed nor bred to do such a job, most breeders are with selective care breeding their dogs for the family home, the last thing they want to see in their dogs is a high prey driven dog that will attack and attach itself onto prey, with such verosity that said owners need to use a break stick to get them to releaes.

You are NOT using the dogs natural insticts, YOU are training a dog to such a degree of reactiveness , you cant break him from his prey any other way.

You can chose any breed or cross breed and get the same reactivness, if you bait it enough!

You say they are not aggressive , but in work mode, well if you are so sure you are not encouraging aggression, why not use your hand to take the prey out of the dogs mouth, instead of a big stick:roll:

P.S I am all for activities / sports with your dog, but to be honest ,havign looked at some videos, I dont get it , why make your dog pull all that weight ??? what does the dog get out of it,

As I thought earlier, macho men playing macho games, with their dogs, only the poor dogs are the ones doing all the macho stuff, poor things!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
  5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    My Boxers would do this when they were young, but to be honest Chaz, its not something I would encourage any dog to do, if the fall badly they can do serious damage to their backs, I always wondered if Bandits back and hip problems were down to him doing this as a youngster, he woudl jump up at a tree branch and hang on for dear life, twisting and turning till it 1) broke and he fell to the ground, 2) he let go and fell to the ground, he had a particular bad fall on day , and I thought then, he wont be allowed to do it again,

Its nto something I would allow any of my dogs to do again.

Would you pick your dog up from the neck toss him around for a bit, then throw him, lets say down steps, that to me is what you are allowing your dog to do, come back down to hard ground from a height, they dont always land on their feet, and even them they will put undue pressure on their legs and joints.
  6. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    I'v given up talking to you now Jackbox. You really know your stuff don't you lol I wish one day I'm as informed and educated as yourself on subjects I have no clue about.

I'm off to tell an Astronaut how to land his space shuttle.

Tupac check your PM box ;)
  7. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    flirt poles and prey drive games and training are great for dogs.

i havent paid attention to all of it, as its turned into one of those dogsey moral handbagging threads again, but are we saying its wrong to use a stick to prise open a jaw latched upon another dog?
    if thats the case, why was that a problem again?
  8. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Because you might damage the dogs jaw!!
  9. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    im assuming the dog is damaging the other dogs limbs?

so you risk damaging the jaw of the aggressor to save the vic?

wouldnt you end up damaging the aggressor dog by any means you use to stop him anyway?
  10. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    I know, I was the one arguing that a responsible bullbreed owner should own one. The thing is they wont damage the dog at all, unless you twatted them about the head with one!!

But apparently it's not a safe thing to have around it's just trying to be macho.
  11. longford

longford New Member

Name:
    james
    A break stick is not a safe thing to have round if you was to get a visit !

A frames is a pathectic sport that wrecks the dogs joints that is a fact!
    I have dogs that will hang on spring poles etc but I can command to let go, but if its fired up and gone into another dog different matter finger up there bum will get them to release lol:lol: .
    As for using springpoles etc there is nothing worse than watching a dog not with its back feet on the ground as it causes so many injuries that is a fact and so many young dogs have been ruined.

Best form of exercise is road walking and letting them lose on some small game in the fields.
  12. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Nope it isnt you. There are many many Pit Bulls that do attack work, working trials, protection work etc... ALL release on command.
  13. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Thank goodness for the fact that at least some of us can see the obvious fault in the use of the break stick (apart from the danger to the animal that is)

If you have trained for a bite and the only way to get a release is to use force you have failed in the object of your exersice!
  14. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    I have dogs that will hang on spring poles etc but I can command to let go, but if its fired up and gone into another dog different matter finger up there bum will get them to release lol:lol: .

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You don't really do that do you ?
  15. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    :lol: :lol: :lol: glad you asked that one, can you imagine:shock:
  16. longford

longford New Member

Name:
    james
    This method to be only tried in emergency situations (when everything else fails) yes I have had to do this once ;-)
  17. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Makes you wonder what possible pleasure could be gotten from owning such a dog.:-(
  18. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Maybe the pleasure in in the act one has to do to such a dog......... Sorry, could`t resit, because the picture it paints in ones mind , makes it boggle:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2010
  19. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    TBH I thought that one as a way of getting them off was as much folk lore as lock jaw:shock:
  20. johnderondon

johnderondon New Member

Name:
    John
  21. longford

longford New Member

Name:
    james
    when you dog is chomping on someones terrier and you cant get there jaw open as they have chomped down on its head that hard and you know if you dont get it to release the other dog aint going to last much longer you will try anything!
    This was the only dog I could not get to release its jaw with my hands the other dog thanked me for it as it bit me several times:roll: