Looking to get a Staffy... General Chat

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by Jadey, Feb 24, 2010.

1. yodaisblind

yodaisblind New Member

Name:
    Tony Storey
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris

I know you are trying to be helpful, but can you explain the reason for this advise.
    And if you think this is more important than than both parents being either health tested or genetically clear for L2 and HC and eye tested for PHPV.
  4. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Have you entered your pup ?
    They may not let unentered dogs in, we do at Merseyside but we are in the minority of clubs that allow it.
  5. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    I don't understand that either, and seriously what do vets know about breeding ?
  6. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    And nutrition:lol:
  7. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Tony :) , you posted the same link yesterday in connection to dog food, today it is a trainer do you have an interest in this business ?
    Please read our Posting Guidelines, we do not allow advertising and link drops.

I would recommend anyone looking for a trainer to choose one belonging to a recognised organisation like the APDT. They have a list of approved trainers on their website.
  8. Vicki84

Vicki84 New Member

Name:
    Vicki
    I have been taught (animal science degree) that in-breeding should be avoided in all animals as it limits the gene pool and causes hereditary problems. This has been proven by extensive scientific research.

I never said that this was more important than health tests. I think health tests are priority along with temperament.

I am certainly no expert on breeding dogs, but I am basing my opinion on what I have been taught along with my own research into the effects of in-breeding.
  9. Vicki84

Vicki84 New Member

Name:
    Vicki
    Please can you explain the difference between line breeding and in-breeding. I was told it is the same thing?
  10. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Inbreeding is the breeding of closely related dogs,i.e, mother to son,daughter to father,brother to sister,

Line breeding is the breeding of dogs that share common ancestors but are not closely related, i.e the dogs may share the same gt grandsire.

Surely if you have been researching the problems caused by Inbreeding / Line breeding then you should now the difference ;-)
  11. yodaisblind

yodaisblind New Member

Name:
    Tony Storey
    Sorry i did not think that putting a link to a website would do be wrong as i have seen a lot of people do it in fact there is another one in this post as well as for the question do i have an interest in this business the answer is no i only done this because the girl is local and about the food the web site is cheaper and i was only trying to help somebody out
  12. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    In breeding is close relatives ie brother sister mother father in any combination.

I would not in breed.

Even if you line breed sooner or later you need to out cross at some stage.
    If you inbreed or closely line breed any genetic health problems will out. The breeding does not make the problem. Just a higher chance that it will show its self .

If a dog has a genetic fault it can stay hidden forever, it does not go away. Breeding two together with the same genetic fault and it will have a higher chance of showing its self.
  13. Vicki84

Vicki84 New Member

Name:
    Vicki
    The research I did for my degree looked at scientific papers. Line breeding is not a term used in scientific research.

I understand that you are separating inbreeding in closely related dogs to that of more distant relatives, but it is all inbreeding! If you look at the general definition of inbreeding it will say that it is the breeding of related animals and is not specific as to how closely related they have to be!

I personally do not think that there should be any inbreeding/line breeding within a 4/5 gen pedigree and would look at this when choosing a puppy for myself. But this is just my opinion and anyone reading this should take it as such and judge for themselves! :)
  14. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Why ?
    Surely if the breeder knows there dogs,lines etc then why not line breed to keep the type and consistancy ?
    I personally don't have an issue with line breeding and don't see it as a major issue,what I do see as a problem is the amount of idiots owning the breed and breeding purely for colour for fiancial gain without the relavent breed specific tests.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2010
  15. Vicki84

Vicki84 New Member

Name:
    Vicki
    I have already given my reasons for this opinion
  16. yodaisblind

yodaisblind New Member

Name:
    Tony Storey
    now now none of this is any good for jadey if you want to debate this start a new tread and debate it there i think that would be the best solution
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2010
  17. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Can I ask do you know the health status of your puppy regarding L2 HC and PHPV.
  18. Vicki84

Vicki84 New Member

Name:
    Vicki
    Of course - all clear. As I stated previously this was one of my priorities :)
  19. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Which ones are clear?
  20. yodaisblind

yodaisblind New Member

Name:
    Tony Storey
    look this is a personal attack and if this carries on i will talk to site adminstrator as i said before this chat need to be on helping jadey with her search for a puppy

i dont belive the status of our puppy has anything to do with you and i will take the mater further if you carry on to verbal attack my partner

this should be the end of the matter
  21. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    I am simply asking a question which should have been very easy to answer given the knowledge of genetic and breeding suggested.

If health is your priority then the health issues of the breed you have bought should tattooed on your eyelids.

Also advise has been given to a person looking to buy a pup and making sure that the information given is correct is I believe helping her to make sure the decision is based on sound information.
    Then the decision is hers to make.