Looking to get a Staffy... General Chat

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by Jadey, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Kazz

Kazz New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Look I have fought myself not to reply to this....but buy a pup from reccomendation you will have a puppy that will grow into a very recognisable breed (and there is a a biggish anti Staff movement out there) and you want a WELL BRED HEALTHY PUP...who will grow into a well balanced adult....lots of that is down to the owner. But if you start with a good pup your chances are 99% better than a poorly bred pup....Speak to Leadstaffs, take advice from your local breed club. Ask people who have staffs you see in the street where they got their pup from.....people are always willing to say "the good and the bad"......take each with a pinch of salt. BUT for God's sake take advice, I would also say try not to commit to a colour.....as no good dog is a bad colour.....

People who have pups from good breeders are pleased to say where they got them from.

Take care and please please please think before getting a pup make sure you are sure of what you are buying....and get the health results checked.....the breed is the best on the planet sadly some of the owners/breeders the breed attracts.....are the lowest on the planet.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Lensons Kid has no health tests accredited to it on the KC web site.
    Can you get the KC name of the Dam.

You have a reply to your PM

I am the secretary of one of your local breed clubs Merseyside and I am very illin to help you find a pup but it is unlikely to be blue.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2010
  4. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    The website you sent to me the pups they have on the ground the Dam is hereditarily clear for L2 hga sire untested health status unknown
    No test mentioned for HC or PHPV health status unknown for these conditions on both sire and dam
  5. Kazz

Kazz New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Please be guided by leadstaffs....no one in the breed wants a new comer to be confused by the glossy ads.....etc.....as I said No good dog is a bad colour....if you want a Staff then have a staff a good one...blue is not a common colour, but it is also not worth paying over the odds for. Colour does not make a good dog, neither does the price you pay.

Good breeders want a good forever home for their pups. People charging above the going price for a certain colour or trait...step away.

As always its buyer beware but but you are being offered help by a decent person in the breed please accept.

Please be guided....no one in SBT's wants you do be unhappy with the breed.
  6. DeVlaeminck

DeVlaeminck New Member

Name:
    Tom
    Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if I go over old ground.

Staffies are high energy dogs, or at least they can be, they can also be destructive if bored.

The upside is we've always found them very healthy, playful, friendly and reliable.

They also have a tendency to be dog aggressive - not to say they all are but if being able to let your dog mix with others is a must have then I'd say don't get a Staffy - or at least get a rescue that is pretty much known to be dog friendly.

I wouldn't say don't go for a certain colour - but personally I'd be more wary of blues especially non KC reg ones as 15 years ago blue was a rare colour and I think some of it has come in via related breeds. I also think lots of blues have probably been bred for colour first and foremost - and if that is the priority then temperament and health must by definition be further down the list. Having said that there will be pure Staff blues of good health and temperament out there.
  7. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Just to clear up the blue myth.

The original blue is a dilute gene. So a blue is really a black brindle dog were both parents carry the he dilute gene as it is a recessive. So both parents must carry it.

It is genetically impossible for a blue to have a black nose and this is he reason it does not always do so well in he show ring.

Breeding for colour alone, what ever the colour, can mean that other faults are over looked and sometimes quality of construction is sacrificed.
    Dogs continuously bred together wth the recessive to recessive gene have shown higher incidence of allergies and other illnesses associated with a lower immune system.

So if I really wanted a blue I would be looking for one in a litter from two Black Brindles and not from a breeding were the blue colour was the main criteria
  8. Jadey

Jadey New Member

Name:
    Jadey
    Thank you for the replies i apologise i haven't been online for a while i've been busy :(

Me and my OH have been talking and when looking round even litters of puppies that have a black brindle mum and/or dad which have had blue puppies in the litter are still being charged at £800 when the rest of the puppies are £400... the litters of puppies we're found where they are blue puppies have had health tests done, good temperments ect... are still £1000 just because they're blue and although me and my OH love the colour i personally don't think they're worth so much more than other colours and we can't afford to spend £1000 on a puppy just for a certain colour.

So we're looking to just find a good breeder if anyone knows any around lancashire and we'll go from health tests, temperments ect... and just choose the puppy we like regardless of colour.

And when we've saved up a bit more money and we're settled into a house with nice garden we might look into getting and paying a bit more for a blue one as we still have our hearts set on owning a blue staffy.

It's like my aunty at the moment is looking at getting a labrador and won't have any other colour than chocolate... i suppose everyone has a favourite :)

But thank you everyone for all your advice and help and i'll be posting some pictures of the puppy as soon as we get him... just deciding on names now hmm...

:grin:
  9. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Fantastic

I am really glad you have taken the time to do your research and not just one out and got anything reardless.

Give me a day and I will find out what is available. It was a boy you wanted ?
  10. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    I have a litter with one pup left. I don't have it I have found it.
    The sire is Wayfare the Governor -dam Steelaway Flash

I have asked for contact details so you can talk to each other directly.

They are red with white chests I can email you pictres if you pm me your address

I know the Sire but not the Dam
  11. Jadey

Jadey New Member

Name:
    Jadey
    Thank you :)

I have been doing a lot of research it's all i do when i get onto my laptop!

I have pm'd you!

And yes we're after a little boy but would prefer around 2nd/3rd week of June as my OH is going to Canada for 7 weeks and won't be back until 5th of June and obviously he wants to be there when we get him ect...

If you know of any puppies that will be 8 weeks around that time or anyone who has a pregnant bitch who's puppies will be 8 weeks in June would be helpful i'm still looking :)
  12. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Just thought I would let you know
    There is a puppy from a good breeder L2 and HC clear both parents unaffected for PHPV.

He is 11 weeks now and next week he will have had his 2nd injection so will be able to go out almost immediatly. As you don't have your own garden thought you might want to know.
    He is in Darlington and is a tiger brindle
  13. Jadey

Jadey New Member

Name:
    Jadey
    Thank you for letting me know i will talk to the OH about this tomorrow night when he gets home :)
  14. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Sent you more information and a picture by email
  15. irishbluestafy

irishbluestafy New Member

Name:
    joe
    does anyone else find it hard to find another blue staff to breed there dog with as it seems there are more boys than girls :/
  16. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Do you own the Male.

No responsible breeder would breed blue to blue.
  17. Samm1551

Samm1551 New Member

Name:
    Sam
    fieldy, CaroleC and Azz like this.
    Sorry to hijack Jadey but I just wanted to thank Leadstaffs for the information on checking health test results on the KC website. I just did that for a puppy that my husband and I are seriously considering and it shows that the sire and dam have had the relevant health checks and are clear.

Health and temperament are the most important things to me at the moment (maybe slightly obsessive about it).