Malinois or GSD Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Katrina.G, Aug 11, 2021.

?

Is this puppy a malinois or a GSD?

Poll closed Sep 10, 2021.
  1. GSD

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Malinois

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Katrina.G

Katrina.G New Member

Name:
    Katrina

Malinois or GSD

Good afternoon!

On May 30, this year we got a puppy that supposed to be a GSD.
    But when he started to grow, I noticed that he has some visual traits that are similar to Malinois. That was until mid July - when he started to change again - now I’m not even sure what breed he is. Could someone help me out , and understand what breed my pup is ? The first picture is of him 2,5 months old

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Katrina.G

Katrina.G New Member

Name:
    Katrina
    That’s him 3 months old

Attached Files:

4. Katrina.G

Katrina.G New Member

Name:
    Katrina
    4,5 months old

Attached Files:

5. Katrina.G

Katrina.G New Member

Name:
    Katrina
    4,5 months old, right now

Attached Files:

6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka and Toedtoes like this.
    He looks like a sable Gsd.
    It’s not unusual for sable Gsd’s to start off blond coloured as the grow they develop the darker sable pattern.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Malka likes this.
    Looks like a shepherd to me also. Malinois are usually more narrowly built. He's got a lot of ears to grow into!
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Definitely GSD.
  9. tundraman

tundraman New Member

Name:
    phil
    Malka likes this.
    gsd
  10. Katrina.G

Katrina.G New Member

Name:
    Katrina
    Thank you for the replies, a lot !
    I know it’s hard to tell, but doesn’t it look like he is not a pure GSD? I had one before and he was already more buff by the age of 4 months old, and his fur was also longer and more dense. This guys fur is really smooth and short.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes and Malka like this.
    He looks a lovely pup to me, but I much prefer the leaner continental type to the roly-poly balls of fluff. Did you see the parents?
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    You cannot really compare - even litter mates can be totally different and your pup is still a baby. I am a twin - my twin sister and I are not identical but we do not even look like we are sisters let alone twins. We also have an older sister, and not one of us looks anything like the others - or like either of our parents.
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Toedtoes and Malka like this.
    Different dogs, different coat textures, even among related dogs you can get coat variation.
  14. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    I'd have said a cross between the two, but I'm not a breed expert by any means
  15. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    If you really want to know you can do a DNA test
  16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I don't see anything that doesn't say shepherd. Is there a reason you are questioning his pedigree?
  17. Katrina.G

Katrina.G New Member

Name:
    Katrina
    At the time I got a bit worried I started to dig through forums about Malinois and their typical visual traits. I came across this picture of a Malinois. And I noticed that little black arrow on the proximal part of the tail of that pup. So my dog had it too for a while. Also the colour of his coat at that time was similar to my dogs coat. The white spot on my dogs chest - and depigmentation on his paws/ nails ( also white). All of that is together got me wondering, if I’m raising a Malinois or a GSD. I guess it is a pretty big deal. Of course I love him the same amount - Malinois or GSD. But the training part varies, we wanted to take a cat too, but Malinois aren’t too good with other animals, aren’t they? The picture is of the Malinois puppy I found on internet.

Attached Files:

18. Katrina.G

Katrina.G New Member

Name:
    Katrina
    And this is the picture of my pup at that time. See that little black arrow on the tail?

QUOTE="Katrina.G, post: 233989, member: 43023"]At the time I got a bit worried I started to dig through forums about Malinois and their typical visual traits. I came across this picture of a Malinois. And I noticed that little black arrow on the proximal part of the tail of that pup. So my dog had it too for a while. Also the colour of his coat at that time was similar to my dogs coat. The white spot on my dogs chest - and depigmentation on his paws/ nails ( also white). All of that is together got me wondering, if I’m raising a Malinois or a GSD. I guess it is a pretty big deal. Of course I love him the same amount - Malinois or GSD. But the training part varies, we wanted to take a cat too, but Malinois aren’t too good with other animals, aren’t they? The picture is of the Malinois puppy I found on internet.[/QUOTE]

Attached Files:

19. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Did you get him from a breeder with pedigree?
    Did you see the mother and other pups?

8wk sable Gsd pup
    606b0fd24d0a6307e17f2246c1a47899.jpg

w7g0xill8gh51.jpg
  20. Katrina.G

Katrina.G New Member

Name:
    Katrina
    Okay,that sure do looks like my pup Happy to see that. I saw them but I’m not sure that I can trust that they are the real parents.
  21. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Why did you have doubts they were the parents?