Malinois Pitbull mix - very rare dog breed! Anyone else with similar? Photos

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by mrmueller, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    And why do they call them 'HYBRID dogs? Hybrid is the result of two different SPECIES - two dogs are same species.

Affenhuahua
    Chiweenie
    Labradoodle
    Boradore
    Maltichons

Wot the 'ell?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Well while I don't support these "hybrid" dogs I don't support "good" breeders also. Breed for greed, NOT for need. The world does not need more pure bred dogs, half of which end up in shelters anyways. Dogs in shelters need homes, and I say that if you claim to love dogs (not just a particular breed) then you won't breed your dogs for money but instead will head over to the shelter and give a hopeless dog some hope. If you really only care about the dogs, then why charge for the dogs? Because you had to pay for them? I refuse to accept that as okay. I only have rescue dogs and I have mutts because those are the ones that need my help the most. When my 14 year old mutt dog Brownie leaves me, to the shelter I go for my next dog. I'd not have it any other way. Also if you claim to love dogs, you'd never say "I hate (insert breed here)". I've heard Labrador/Collie etc. owners say "those dogs are monsters and don't deserve to be pets" but then turn around and say they LOVE dogs because their Labrador is a "good girl". That's why I stand up for pit bulls and Rottweilers and other "dangerous" breeds. I just don't understand some people. I think "real" breeders are what caused these BYB to even come about. They are annoyed that purebred dogs are "above" their mixed dogs and have retaliated by changing "mutt" into "hybrid" and are now charging for them. All in the flow of things. Just my opinion, sorry if this offended anyone.
  4. Monci.t

Monci.t New Member

Name:
    Monika
    Dont get me wrong she is very lovely dog but i dont agree with cross breeding. There are more cons in cross breeding than pros and surely handling dogs with personalities like yours must be very difficult. It is just my personal opinion but i have come from a background with pure breeds only and thats what i believe.
    I know that every breed was created by crossbreeding anyway but we already have so many breeds. But if you do a research on crossbreeding in the past it has always been a part of an experiment that was controlled for many years until it was established that the breed is consistent and has a purpose in the dog family. That is why we have groups of dogs (toy, utility, working etc). So do you think it is right to cross breeds without any control? Do we really need any more breeds? I strongly disagree but people have to ask those questions themselves and i am certainly not going to tell anybody what they should or should not do....
  5. Bryan1846

Bryan1846 New Member

Name:
    Bryan
    I have the same mix. She's about 6 months and very very intelligent. I think they are a great mix. 2014-06-29 19.50.13.jpg 20140724_224011.jpg
  6. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
  7. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Lots of pros cross breeding dogs,your never guarenteed the exact characteristics your looking for though,and what I don't agree with is the Trendy breeds that cost a fortune,years ago if it was a cross it would be called a mongrel!
  8. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    What a striking looking dog - beautiful!
  9. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
  10. ShawnM

ShawnM New Member

Name:
    Shawn
    Our Belgian Malinois just gave birth the other day to 9 pups, the father is a Dalmatian. Both very loving dogs and hoping the pups will be the same.
  11. ShawnM

ShawnM New Member

Name:
    Shawn
    CaroleC likes this.
    Here is a picture of one of our Belgian Malinois/Dalmatian mix pups. I think they are gorgeous pups and have taken on more of the Dalmatian look.

Shawn

Attached Files:

12. ShawnM

ShawnM New Member

Name:
    Shawn
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
    Here is a picture of one of our girls and her mom.

Shawn

Attached Files:

13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What a sweet picture! :007:
  14. ShawnM

ShawnM New Member

Name:
    Shawn
    Thank you; the pups are sweethearts like their parents. We won't be having any more puppies, it is just too hard to let them go as they become part of the family.

Shawn
  15. Honey5

Honey5 New Member

Name:
    Honey
    Bumping this old thread to add we adopted a pitbull-looking dog from a shelter couple years ago, had a DNA test done, and it came back Belgian Malinois/American Staffordshire Mix (they don't recognize "pit bull" as a breed on the test, so it will spit out AmStaff).

While I would never condone creating this mix (or any other, nor backyard breeding pure) on purpose with all the dogs in shelters, I'm pleased to say I think we hit the jackpot temperament-wise with this mix! He has the lovable, sweet, cuddly nature of a pit, and an intense focus and enthusiasm during training that I'm told might be the Mal side. He appropriately alerts us when strangers approach the home but is welcoming with guests, great with kids, cats (but not squirrels).

Most amazingly, he learns almost instantly and seems to remember after being told once! For example, the first day we brought him home from the shelter (keep in mind, he was a 15 month old dog, had been in shelters since puppyhood-originally found wandering the streets-never been fostered) we said "no" just once when he hopped on the couch. He has never, ever, tried to go on any furniture since! I've never had such a well-mannered dog!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  16. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Keep in mind that they DNA test are not 100% accurate. Dops DNA is extremely close from one breed to the next.

Do you have anymore pics? I do see the Pit like features, but also some of a mix.

Everyone has their own opinion & realize some people are very much against breeding but their address good, responsible breeders out there. It is unfortunate the shelter situation but I still think breeding good dogs is important.

He could very well be Belgian mixed with AST or Pit but Pit and other breeds also can learn quickly & be very obedient. Despite the reputation, possible high energy, high prey drive & dog aggression Pit Bulls can make great pets due to being people oriented and biddable.
  17. Honey5

Honey5 New Member

Name:
    Honey
    Oh I agree, I've had pits before, everything good about him could also be a pit trait! I'm basing my malinois comments off feedback from Mal owners, as I have no experience with that breed myself.

Yeah, I realize the tests aren't 100% accurate, but 90% or so is good enough for our purposes :) We had the Wisdom Panel done. We did it mostly for fun, but a teensy part of me, at the risk of becoming overly paranoid, wanted to keep an eye out for possible genetic predispositions. Our previous pit mix died from a cancer very common in boxers-kinda wish I wish had been on the lookout :( .

http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=23206

He looks more pit than anything to me. The shelter labeled him as a "cattle dog mix" (not common here either BTW) which was just their guess based on his large ears and presumably their desire to avoid labeling him as a pit. I was fully expecting the test to say he was inconclusive or a mix of a million things. I would not have guessed Belgian Malinois because it's not a common breed. However, at the local training club, I had already been asked if he was a Mal mix by folks who own them (I get asked the same by GSD owners though). I assumed it's his fur texture or perhaps ears when fully extended (sorry don't have an upright ear pic handy but here's a better headshot at least). Pics also don't show he is 77 lbs, about 26" at the shoulder. His fur looks black in pics but he's actually a dark sable, not that that helps. But, he is quickly turning grey on the chin even though he's not yet 3 (vet said that's a Mal thing too). I should ask those Mal owners what physical traits they are picking up in him, he looks a bit different than the other pit/mal mixes on the forum here. They all seem to have the pointier Mal nose, my dog's snout is more rectangular. I will say he had the ganglier looking legs like they do when he was younger, and he had a very lean, ribby appearance, but he recently filled out. It could be because he's male, or he's just pulling more pit traits. He does have a really blocky head. Or the test is waaay off..

However, his overall appearrance, premature graying, ears, Mal owner and vet comments all seem to jive with the test results, so I'm reasonably certain the test isn't too off base, as shocking and improbable as the results seemed! (Well the malinois part-AmStaff is no surprise in a shelter dog in this area).

I could see this combo happening, and winding up in shelters though. I wouldn't be suprised if some unscrupulous breeder tried to mix a pitbull and a Malinois thinking they would get some kind of bad@ss "protection" or fight dog and wound up with a litterful of cuddly sweethearts (to their dismay) and subsequently abandoned them :/

Attached Files:

18. Honey5

Honey5 New Member

Name:
    Honey
    Just adding, the shelter situation really is unfortunate! I always adopt! The shelters here are filled with predominantly pit-mixes! They are great dogs, but it breaks my heart when people go out of their way to make more when so many are being destroyed!

My dog had been transferred between shelters in 2 states, and despite having a great temperament, he was nearly unadoptable, statistically, due to his appearance. He was a big, dark colored, male pit "type", his chances were very slim! I just can't imaging buying a dog from a breeder right now. I know others feel differently, and I respect their opinion even if I can't fully wrap my head around it. I just hope they find a responsible breeder if that's what they choose, but many do not bother. It's no different than buying a designer handbag to some people.
  19. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    It is certainly hard to judge a dog by just pics vs meeting them in real life. Of course his demeanor & presence we know nothing about either. So I'm sure the people you know have a much better idea to give you accurate judgement.

Windom Panel while it can be wacky is one of the most accurate ones so that's a plus at least.

I always think it is great to also consider genetics of your dog. Good to hear. What type of cancer if you don't mind sharing?

Anything is possible but yeah I would have never thought to label him a cattle dog. Lol. The Pit or bully type breed is evident but the coat type & thick tail is a couple mix type traits I'm seeing. Erect ears are common in Pits and other breeds but his fur does seem to have a different texture compared to short haired breed. It's probably more noticeable in person.
    I would have never guessed him that large either! He doesn't look black to me, he looks dark gray/blue or maybe seal. Even in pics the lighter base coat should be apparent with a Sable colored dog.[​IMG]
    Sable male

Oh yes that's Malinois with the gray. Though other breeds including Pits can have it (and my Corso had gray by 5), it seems pretty common to start very early in BM though.

With the added pics yeah the head/face is where I see a lot of Pit like traits. It's just this expression about him, I don't know.
    [​IMG]

Even without Belgian facial features it could still be right I suppose. You never know how a mix well turn out. Pits should be lean, muscular and only a few ribs showing. I think the long standard I have printed calls for only 2-3 ribs being visible.

They can make some knock out protection dogs but probably not from some run of the mill breeder. Lots of people have no clue what they are doing. Maybe it was an oops litter but you never know what some ignorant person try to do who has no business breeding.
  20. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I understand Pits or at least Pit like/bully type are very common in many shelters as they are popular but that doesn't mean we should let the breed diminish. Without breeders they would be lost. As you know bybs will keep breeding their dogs away from standard and with possible issues and still filling shelters. But I didn't mean Pit breeding specific. I'm against what imo I'd deem irresponsible but I think responsible breeding is very important to dogs overall.

If you look at the Malinois side of it. While they are in rescue (due to people not being able to handle them mostly & having obtained them from worthless breeder) they are not an extremely common breed and not very often found in most shelters at all. They are a serious working breed, a high caliber dog for military duty. Therefore people need to specifically breed Belgian Malinois & Malinois mixes for Police/Military purposes. While some dogs needing home could make the cut it is better to use a dog that you know has a high chance of success, but not only that even if one wanted to use a rescue some stipulate in the contract no bite work & such. So to try to save a dog for such purposes would be a breach of contract.
  21. Honey5

Honey5 New Member

Name:
    Honey
    Those are both very good points for responsible breeding of both pits to maintain the breed standards and Belgians as a working dog! I think the sheer volume of "hobby" breeders trying to make a buck out here has warped my view dog breeding quite a bit, but you make a valid point.

As far as his coloring, I could be using the terminology incorrectly. He has black tipped fur, with beige at the base. There are other hairs interspersed that are all beige. What would you call that?The GSD folks we train with called him sable (they call their agoutis sable too though) so I figured that was ambiguous enough. Maybe there is no properly defining a mutt, but I would like to be able to call him something because I always hesitate on paperwork! He's not really black, brown, or gray! I attached a pic, still not the greatest (I know he looks dark gray or seal, he is so dark, the beige is only apparent on close inspection) But I think his shading is a little more evident on his neck here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015