Malinois? General Chat

Discussion in 'Working Dogs Forum' started by snicrep, Sep 15, 2021 at 1:15 AM.

1. snicrep

snicrep New Member

Name:
    GEORGE

Malinois?

We've recently rescued what seems to be a belgian malinois or possibly a dutch shepherd. Hes younger than a year and very friendly. We have alot of other dogs, mostly smaller and they dont want to play with him because he's like an overbearing child to them. He has unusual markings that ive not seen on those 2 breeds. Has anyone? Heres pics. Note the black spots.

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Looks like he has a stray merle gene from another breed. It would be interesting to dna test him for breed. If you did, do let us know the result.
  4. snicrep

snicrep New Member

Name:
    GEORGE
    Im looking into doing that. Ill post any result.
  5. snicrep

snicrep New Member

Name:
    GEORGE
    Found a good test for 159 dollars. Wisdom panel. Anyway it doesnt really matter.
  6. snicrep

snicrep New Member

Name:
    GEORGE
    Heres another view of him hard at work. IMG_20210914_224746_567.jpg
  7. snicrep

snicrep New Member

Name:
    GEORGE
    I researched merle genes. It doesnt seem like he's that and i hope not. Theres several health issues that go along with that. Also blue eyes are common with that gene and hes got brown. Im getting the dna test anyway out of curiosity and it can reveal any health tendencies. I thinking hes just tri-color or has a mix in him. Im not looking to breed him so it really doesnt matter. I guess we'll have him neutered although i hate to put him through any discomfort.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    The health issues normally result from mating merle to merle.
    With your boy it looks more like a touch of the type of dappling that you get in breeds like Dachshunds or Catahoulas. It could be something from way back.
    I once had a very well bred Golden Retriever with a black spot on his muzzle; a rare occurence but they do occasionally happen.
  9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Looks like a brindle to me. Sometimes rather than striping, a brindle coat will have splotches o f black like that.
  10. snicrep

snicrep New Member

Name:
    GEORGE
    Thanks for that info. I like his markings. It makes him very unique