Malinois? General Chat

Discussion in 'Working Dogs Forum' started by snicrep, Sep 15, 2021.

1. snicrep

snicrep New Member

Name:
    GEORGE

Malinois?

We've recently rescued what seems to be a belgian malinois or possibly a dutch shepherd. Hes younger than a year and very friendly. We have alot of other dogs, mostly smaller and they dont want to play with him because he's like an overbearing child to them. He has unusual markings that ive not seen on those 2 breeds. Has anyone? Heres pics. Note the black spots.

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Looks like he has a stray merle gene from another breed. It would be interesting to dna test him for breed. If you did, do let us know the result.
  4. snicrep

snicrep New Member

Name:
    GEORGE
    Im looking into doing that. Ill post any result.
  5. snicrep

snicrep New Member

Name:
    GEORGE
    Malka and Helidale like this.
    Found a good test for 159 dollars. Wisdom panel. Anyway it doesnt really matter.
  6. snicrep

snicrep New Member

Name:
    GEORGE
    Malka and Helidale like this.
    Heres another view of him hard at work. IMG_20210914_224746_567.jpg
  7. snicrep

snicrep New Member

Name:
    GEORGE
    I researched merle genes. It doesnt seem like he's that and i hope not. Theres several health issues that go along with that. Also blue eyes are common with that gene and hes got brown. Im getting the dna test anyway out of curiosity and it can reveal any health tendencies. I thinking hes just tri-color or has a mix in him. Im not looking to breed him so it really doesnt matter. I guess we'll have him neutered although i hate to put him through any discomfort.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    The health issues normally result from mating merle to merle.
    With your boy it looks more like a touch of the type of dappling that you get in breeds like Dachshunds or Catahoulas. It could be something from way back.
    I once had a very well bred Golden Retriever with a black spot on his muzzle; a rare occurence but they do occasionally happen.
  9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Looks like a brindle to me. Sometimes rather than striping, a brindle coat will have splotches o f black like that.
  10. snicrep

snicrep New Member

Name:
    GEORGE
    Malka likes this.
    Thanks for that info. I like his markings. It makes him very unique
  11. snicrep

snicrep New Member

Name:
    GEORGE
    Well.....i just received the dna results, not only does my dog have NO belgian whatsoever, he has 16 breeds in him. 50% gsd, 4% is white swiss shepherd, which is just white gsd. So he's 54 % gsd. Pretty much any common dog is in there ranging from 1 to 7%. 61% are herding breeds. But there is somehow 1% poodle (not standard) and gasp...chihuahua! Oh, we'll never be able to show our faces on the street.
    Just kidding. All those breeds made the best all-around dog i could ever want. Ill be calling him a gsd mix now. I spoke with a customs agent who was at the park training one of their dogs. He said i should hope he wasnt belgian. He personally has gsds. And says belgians are hyper-motivated. Oh well. My dog still looks like a belgian with weird markings. He's got to be good lookin cause he's so hard to see.
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Wow! That's the most breeds in a single dog I've personally heard of.

You can't go wrong with a GSD mix. They are great dogs.

He looks very flexible. My Tornado-dog can curl up real tight like that (and can pretty much turn back over himself like a weasel). Tornado-dog is JRT with collie, shih tzu and pekinese. I wish he had even just a bit of GSD in there to counter the JRT.

IMG_20210410_154046-819x819 (2021-07-08T14_01_51.000).jpg
  13. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka likes this.
    Love the Beatles reference
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes and Malka like this.
    Fantastic - you couldn't have imagined it. I agree with your chap at the park, Malinois are super active and intelligent, but they do tend to be a full-time job!
    You love him and he is a good looking boy, so that's a win win. Thanks for letting us know.
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Toedtoes likes this.
    I think he is extremely handsome, however many different breeds are in his dna! :007:
  16. snicrep

snicrep New Member

Name:
    GEORGE
    Toedtoes likes this.
    (Major fan) my dog (dusty) has a coloring that makes him hard to see in low light, and he's good looking. So that would've practically written some of those lyrics.
  17. snicrep

snicrep New Member

Name:
    GEORGE
    All but the gsd are in the single digits percentile-wise.
  18. snicrep

snicrep New Member

Name:
    GEORGE
    Pekinese? My 1st dog was a peke. So i have a warm place in my heart for them. The cutest puppies too.
    Your dog looks awesome, but "tornado-dog"? I wonder how he earned that nick name.
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    So they don't really count then, do they!
  20. snicrep

snicrep New Member

Name:
    GEORGE
    Malka likes this.
    Id like to think that, especially the chihuahua and poodle.
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    snicrep likes this.
    Somehow I cannot see either in your lovely lad! My two previous dogs [the one in my avatar was the girl before my current one] were both mutts of unknown origin. My current little one is a definite [accidental and unwanted] cross between a rather surprised maiden Standard Dachshund mom and a randy little Minpin.