Mdr1 Health

Discussion in 'Collie (Rough)' started by Sarah03, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Sarah03

Sarah03 New Member

Name:
    Sarah

Mdr1

Hello everyone I am now the proud owner of a precious little rough collie named Albus. He is Mdr1 and my vet gave me sentinel for heartworm prevention, but after doing my own research I am reluctant to give it to him because of the mixed information regarding the Milbemycin oxime. I normally trust my vet but this time walking in with Albus it was like walking in with a unicorn as every tech and vet came out to take a peek and a pet, as they said it had been years since they seen a rough collie. Some of the younger vets had never even treated one. I just really want to do whats best for him and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also they gave me bravecto for flea and tick prevention. Thank you from both my family and Albus!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Did you get Albus from a breeder? If so, I would ask them about it.

If not, you might call a few breeders and ask about it.

My Tornado-dog is a distant cousin and says hello to Albus. He is mostly JRT with a bit of collie. He's the black and white dog in my avatar.
  4. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Good article from Washington State Uni.
    www.colliehealth.org. multidrug-sensitivity/
    This vet says that the dose for heartworm protection shouldn't give a problem. Worth noting the other drugs that may be problematical too.
    *For some reason the second half of this link isn't showing as live. Try typing the full title into Google.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Wow, what a stunner. I love rough collies, such clever dogs that have a knack of training their owners :)

No advice on the meds. I do know that some years ago Milbemax was frowned on in the collie world, but I don't know if this is related to the heartworm treatment