Miniature Schnauzer would be my next breed! General Chat

Discussion in 'Miniature Schnauzer' started by Magpyex, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Magpyex

Magpyex New Member

Name:
    Megan

Miniature Schnauzer would be my next breed!

Hi all :)

I'm not looking for a puppy any time soon! But I think when I do look to get another dog, Miniature Schnauzers would be my breed of choice. Basically, I'm just looking for a little bit of information on them :)

Firstly, do you think they would be a suitable breed for my lifestyle? I have a Miniature Pinscher/terrier cross already and we walk quite a bit (about 4/5 miles a day, sometimes more depending on where we go) so would a Miniature Schnauzer be able to keep up with that? I understand it won't be able to walk that much at first but once it is fully grown, would it be able to walk that far (or further?) without a problem? I also like doing obedience training, agility and want to do HTM at some point in the future, is a Miniature Schnauzer likely to enjoy doing those sorts of activities?

Secondly, what sorts of tests should a breeder be doing? What illnesses are common within the breed? I've noticed lots of adverts for puppies mention eye tests but is there anything else I should ask about/look out for?

Finally, how do I go about researching lines? I'd really like to get a dog whose sire and/or dam have been proven in obedience, how do I go about trying to find this?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2010
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Megan :)
    Yes they suit any lifestyle and are happy to walk 4/5 miles a day.

The lady who bred and showed the Eastwight Minis used to do a lot of obedience work with her dogs and Minis are often good at agility. They are very intelligent little dogs and quick to learn.
    Illness and tests ..
    Any puppy you buy should have had its eyes tested at 6 weeks of age and you should get a copy of the test certificate.
    The tests carried out of the sire and dams and the date of testing should be printed on the KC registration certificate, it should say Eye (date)-unaffected by CHC,GPRA,HC.

Here is some information on eye testing..
    other information here..
    http://www.dogsey.com/miniature-schnauzer.htm

If you decide to have a Mini the place to start looking for a breeder is the breed club. If you contact the Secretary of The Miniature Schnauzer Club (Google it) she will provide you with a list of approved breeders who have signed up to the breeders code of ethics. Be prepare for an interrogation from the breeders who choose prospective owners with care before placing them on a waiting list for a puppy. Also be prepared to wait of a puppy, good breeders breed very rarely but they may be able to put you in touch with someone else from the club who is expecting a litter. Most good breeders will be happy for you to go and meet their dogs.

A good place to learn about the breed is at Championship dog shows where you can meet lots of dogs and chat to the breeders, they should be able to advise about those who does obedience /agility .

The breed club holds a number of its own shows/fun days each year, the next breed Championship show will be held on Saturday 2nd October 2010 at Stoneleigh in Warwickshire which is not all that far from you :) .
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2010
  4. Magpyex

Magpyex New Member

Name:
    Megan
    Hi Minihaha, thanks ever so much for the very helpful & informative reply! :)

I'm not in any rush to get a pup just yet so waiting for the 'right' breeder to have a litter certainly isn't a problem :) I do have one further question regarding this though! As I won't be in a position to have a puppy for at least another 2/3 years (Due to university etc. I don't think any good breeder would approve me for a puppy!) is it still worth getting in contact with breeders now?

I'd really love to go to one of the championship shows, thanks for telling me about the one in Stoneleigh, I'll definitely pop along if I can! Would I be able to bring my dog along with me or would it be best to leave her with a friend?

Again, many thanks for the information, it was just what I was after :)