Miniature Schnauzer Discussions

Discussion in 'Miniature Schnauzer' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Discussion Thread

Discussion Thread New Member

Miniature Schnauzer

Miniature Schnauzer
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    THE MINIATURE SCHNAUZER.

Schnauzer-like dogs had been around for a very long time, the first deliberate breeding of a Miniature Schnauzer is thought to have come about by crossing the Standard Schnauzer with the Affenpinscher. The breed of Miniature Schnauzer was first recognised in Germany in 1899, they were used mainly for ratting. If you think of the sanitation arrangements around at that time I am sure their services were in great demand.
    Miniature Schnauzers are highly intelligent little dogs, easily trained and eager to please they make wonderful companions and good little guard dogs. They do not shed their coats and many live to between 12-16 years. They come in colours of a) Pepper and salt b) Solid black c) Black and silver.
    There are a few white ones around but they are not as I am aware recognised the KC.
    Hereditary Health Problems affecting the Miniature Schnauzer .
    Cataracts (both Hereditary and Congenital Hereditary forms) and Generalised Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA), can occur in the Miniature Schnauzer. Information on testing for these conditions may be obtained from The Schnauzer Club Of Great Britain website.(S.C.G.B.)

THE MINIATURE SCHNAUZERS AT VARIOUS AGES

A Miniature Schnauzer puppy 8 weeks old

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Puppy at 3 months old and bitch aged 2 years
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A bitch aged 13.
    [​IMG]A group aged between six and nine months

[​IMG]
    A group of bitches,one 9 months old the rest fully grown
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2008
  4. Emma-836592

Emma-836592

lovely pictures Mini :D:D
  5. bobbie3917

bobbie3917 New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    great pic
  6. olive

olive New Member

Amazing pictures. I was wondering if all Schnauzers ears sit like that naturally. I know that Irish Terriers ears are a real nuisance for breeders, with erect ears, drop ears and "flying nun" ears, showing up alot in litters. In America and probably over here, breeders and owners glue the ears to the head during teething - my Olive would have had a fit if I had tried anything like that :shock: .

I just love Schnauzers, all sizes. They are "wow" dogs, you just can't help but be impressed when you see then.
  7. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Olive :D yes with some there is a problem with 'flying ears' some of which came from the imported American stock where ears are cropped so 'flying' ears arn't a consideration. When choosing a puppy I go for 'thick' ears rather than the lighter ones and then you do not tend to have a problem . :D Thank you all for your the interest
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2007
  8. Naomi

Naomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    Wow Minni fab pictures. They are so cute. I love the little 'beards'
  9. Asti

Asti New Member

Name:
    Alison
    Lovely pictures. Asti is the first mini I have ever had and after having her I can't see us having any other breed in the future now. They are such delightful, loving little dogs and they are full of fun, all they want to do is please you.
  10. Schnauzerbabe

Schnauzerbabe New Member

Name:
    Sue
    I too have my first Miniature Schnauzer and i certainly am hooked on the breed Lexi though does have (the flying ears) mentioned before but I wouldn't change her for the world and as she is only a pet it doesn't matter at all
    Sue:)
  11. mollygemma mum

mollygemma mum New Member

Name:
    Elaine Shervill
    I would not, be without one.
    they get under your skin.
    It's a bit like fishing with them they throw out the line, you get hooked and that's that.;-)
    Great dogs total fun and love:grin:
  12. Mother*ship

Mother*ship New Member

Name:
    J
    I have a black Mini Schnauzer called Pepper, I love her to bits but I have to say she's a real handful, no one told her that Schnauzers are supposed to be terrier looks without the terrier temperament! I think she's the most gorgeous dog but she's no where close to breed standard and doesn't really suit a schnauzer trim.

Here she is...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm hoping to get an Affenpinscher this summer, one of the foundations breeds for the Mini Schnauzer and actually I think Pepper may be a throw back...:grin:

J
  13. Schnauzerbabe

Schnauzerbabe New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Lovely photo's of your gorgeous Pepper ... Hello and let me introduce Lexi to you
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    once bitten forever smitten with this breed
    Sue and Lexi
  14. Mother*ship

Mother*ship New Member

Name:
    J
    What a stunner! who cares about ears, she's lovely. Pepper's ears are all wrong, they fold about half way up instead of close to her head but she looks so cute when she looks up at me and they flop back. :lol:

J
  15. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Lovely to see all your Minis :grin: little mischief makers every one of them I can tell !!! :lol:

Later pictures of Amy (aged 2/15 years)..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2008
  16. lovezois

lovezois Fondly remembered

Name:
    Eunice
    Hope you don't mind a hound person coming in on your terrier thread,but I just had to say they are all little cuties.
  17. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    (*whispers lovely to see a hound person here, but can I just point out for any passing reader Minis aren't terriers in the UK :shock: :lol: they are 'utility'*)
  18. mollygemma mum

mollygemma mum New Member

Name:
    Elaine Shervill
    Picture of my two the one on the left is molly P&S and the one on the right is Gemma P&S

[​IMG]

Gemma
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2008
  19. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Miniature Schnauzer puppy 'Milllie' from eight weeks to 7 months.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    ]

Edited to add..Millie sadly died of kidney failure aged 9 months old in March 2008 just a few months after I posted these pictures. ...:-(
    She was the brightest of puppies and had the potential to become a very special dog..
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
  20. Trixybird

Trixybird New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    Oh dear oh dear, I have fallen in love :) What a fabulous girl Millie she is, and mollygemma mum totally transfixed!
    More pictures from all you owners please x
  21. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    Bout time too Mini ! It seems ages since you posted pics of your little beauty :smt018 :mrgreen: