Miniature Schnauzer Discussions

Discussion in 'Miniature Schnauzer' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Bellasmummy

Bellasmummy New Member

Name:
    Rou
    Hello everyone

What a lovely thread! Loved all the pictures and stories about your minis. I was hoping for some advice please, new dog owner here and keen to be the best I can be for my little Bella! Apologies in advance if I am taking the thread off track.

We got Bella in January and she's coming up to 6 months in a couple of weeks. She's very settled, loves humans and she enjoys playing with other dogs. We would love to get a companion for her, someone to be mischievous with and we love every mini Schnauzer we have seen. Having read about them over the weekend, they seem to be the right type of breed to put with Bella - what do you think?

The other question was about how long you'd wait before getting another puppy. The books I read suggest waiting until the first one is a year old. Is that the general point of view based on your experience?

Finally, if you would like to recommend any breeders in Essex, please let me know. Hope this is allowed and I not breaking any forum rules :blush:

Many thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Mother*ship

Mother*ship New Member

Name:
    J
    Hi BellasMummy,

I think a Mini Schnauzer would make a fine companion to a Cockerpoo, I had my Schnauzer first and did think about a Cockerpoo for my next dog before I fell in love with my Affens. :grin:

The thing to bear in mind is that Schnauzers are essentially terriers so might have a higher prey drive or be a bit less biddable than Bella. Remember every dog is an individual and there will be variation even within a breed. I only mention this because of my personal experience, see the next paragraph...

I would wait a bit longer if I was you, it's quite possible Bella hasn't had her teenage stage yet so you might want to hold off until that has passed! :lol: :lol: :lol: In my Pepper's case it still hasn't! :lol: :shock: :lol: But then she isn't a well bred Schnauzer - she's a type all of her own. :roll: :grin:
    In the meantime work on your bond and training with Bella so if you do get another dog it learns all her good habits.

Check the Schnauzer Club for info on the health checks you need to see...
    http://www.schnauzerclub.co.uk/health.shtml
    They can also put you in contact with breeders in your area.

Keep us posted!

J.
  4. mummysnoo

mummysnoo New Member

Name:
    Frances
    I have a Mini black Schnauzer who is 2 this October, this is my fourth, but the others have now gone to Rainbow Bridge, I just love the breed.
  5. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Frances :grin: , Minis really are delightful little dogs aren't they . Please post lots of pictures of yours ..8)
  6. Kevin Colwill

Kevin Colwill New Member

Name:
    Kevin
    A little point that might be of interest...in the USA the Miniature Schanuzer is put in the terrier group.

I wonder if any Miniature Schanuzer/Schanuzer owners have people come up to you assuming your dogs are terriers? As a Kerry Blue owner I spend a lot of time explaining my dog is not Schanuzer.
  7. malwhit

malwhit New Member

Name:
    Malcolm
    People think my black Labradoodle is a Giant Schnauzer, and sometimes they even think the 2 Minis are her pups (especially when they are hairy!)

My male Leo has a lot of American lines in him. He is definately more terrier in type and temperament than my other Minis, who have been more laid back and easy-going.