Mongrels (x breeds) Discussions

Discussion in 'Gundog Forum' started by Discussion Thread, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Luz

Luz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    To Mick & Jane :grin: :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Luz

Luz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Thanks everyone for your lovely comments. xx
  4. Buster & Bella

Buster & Bella New Member

Name:
    Alana
    [​IMG]

This is Buster. His mother was a big tan staff but we do not know the father. Vet says Lab but others say Ridgeback! the only thing that makes me think it is not lab is his dark muzzle?
  5. Cumbrian Lass

Cumbrian Lass New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Lots and Lots of stunning dogs :smt049
  6. Chellie

Chellie New Member

Name:
    Chellie
    Jess, have you heard of The Crossbreed and Mongrel Club? This club puts on confirmation shows for CB and M around the country that end in an annual show for all of the winners. All classes are for crossbreeds only except the novelty classes when pedigrees can take part. Sort of turns the exemtion show on its head!!!!
  7. jess

jess New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    no i hadnt heard, thats cool... do you have any website addresses?
    have i seen pic of your gsdx?
  8. Chellie

Chellie New Member

Name:
    Chellie
    The website address is www.crossbreed-and-mongrel-club.org.uk. I haven't put any photos of the dogs on the site yet as I tend to access it from work and can't do it from here but I am going to try and get some on ASAP.
  9. jess

jess New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    It's a great idea, i had heard of SCAMPS before.... shame we don't have something like this in scotland. I couldn't enter anyway, as i don't vaccinate :-(

Have a small arguement against this statement though!

"A Mongrel Dog is the result of a crossbreed dog mating with a crossbred dog"

My parents and I got a pup each in December, different litters but both husky x gsd... they were a purposeful mating and we have their 'pedigrees' going way back to great great great grandparents. Now they are both crossbreed dogs, but if they were mated together (not going to happen, but just for arguements sake....) we would have an idea of what the pups would look like (there is only gsd and husky genes there) apparently we would have 'mongrel' puppies.... how is that fair!
    Therefore i think the statement should read:
    "A Mongrel Dog is the result of an unknown crossbreed dog mating with a crossbred dog"
    HMm.
  10. Chellie

Chellie New Member

Name:
    Chellie
    The vaccination thing was scrapped as it was hard to police!!! I don't label mine either crossbreeds or mongrels, they are just my babies!!! Wouldn't care what they were as long as they are happy and healthy.
  11. jess

jess New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    i know i know, i just think certain people think a dog is better cos its a 'pedigree' and they raise their eyebrows when i tell them i have a crossbred dog with papers. Doesn't mean much to me either, (and i personally believe they are healthier).

If they are not bothering about the vaccinations then thats great, do you think they will ever do one in scotland... should i join and then make an affilated scottish club?!! Got the perfect place here, they hold regular agility shows here....
  12. jess

jess New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    when do we get to see pics of your dogs, i can't find them on dogweb!?!
  13. Chellie

Chellie New Member

Name:
    Chellie
    It would be great if you could set something up in Scotland. I used to run the website and write the newsletter, puppies take up too much time now, but we used to get loads of requests for shows up there. Maybe you could go to the Lake District one and camp out there, it is great fun and a good holiday too.
  14. jess

jess New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    thats weird, we were mentioning the lake district as i spent 2 hours in Windermere and thought it was beautiful. When is it on there? (website doesnt say anything about 2006 shows?)

Def. interested in setting something up here, i was invloved in rescue so know a great many dog people! Where does the money go to? I am a member of CHC (canine health concern) and have always promised to have some kind of charity thing for them, this would be great at raising awareness for this cause!
  15. Chellie

Chellie New Member

Name:
    Chellie
    Jess,

It is running from 24 - 31 July. It is on the website under events diary. The whole week has organised activities that you are free to take part in such as showing classes, agility classes and heelwork to music (these change from year to year but there is always something on), there are group walks on the beach, bar-b-q's etc that are all optional. They all take place on the campsite (except the walk on the beach of course!!!). The show is organised by Peter Wilson who rescues Trailhounds and rehomes them. It all ends with a show on the last day that includes pedigree classes but also the SCAMPS heat classes that are only for 'dogs of mixed heritage'.

If you were to want to organise a show yourself all you need to do is to contact the Chairperson of the club (details on website) and he will let you know how to do it. ALL of the money raised goes to the charity of your choice so you can certainly donate the money to CHC.
  16. Bodhi

Bodhi New Member

Name:
    Dizzy
  17. Luz

Luz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2006
  18. Cumbrian Lass

Cumbrian Lass New Member

Name: