My 12 week old Dogue!!! Is he at right weight? Questions

Discussion in 'Dogue de Bordeaux' started by Weeble68, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Weeble68

Weeble68 New Member

Name:
    Weeble

My 12 week old Dogue!!! Is he at right weight?

My Dogue is 12 weeks and just went to the vet and he weighs 23 lbs. Is this a good size? His father weighs 140. He is on Now Fresh grain free food and also The Honest Kitchen.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    The weight is fine.
    A lot of people look at the huge end puppies and forget there a lot of reg and smaller ones.

As long as he is eating well and pooping well, you go by body condition, and let nature take it's course.
  4. Weeble68

Weeble68 New Member

Name:
    Weeble
    I wish this thing would let me upload a photo from my phone. His paws are massive and his bone structure is thick! Those stupid French mastiff dog weight calculator say he will only weigh 55 lbs lol! He's 12.5 weeks he's prob at 27 lbs now. He's larger then my French bulldog that is really big for a frenchie. He weighs about 30. I know weight doesn't mean a thing but what's a good way to tell? The vet says he's gonna be huge.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    As LMost says, if he is eating well, poo'ing well, and seems healthy, then I say ignore the French Mastiff dog weights. Because no DdB is going to "go by the book" and you have a baby. And unless your vet is an expert in DbDs he really will not know for sure how much your puppy will end up weighing.
  6. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Ignore the weight calculator. When I did it for my Pei it calculated her adult weight would be 26 kgs (57 lbs). She's now 2.5 years old and weighs 17 kgs (37.4 lbs).
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I agree. I know little about DdB's, but have seen quite a wide divergence in size/type. If his father weighs 140 pounds, chances are he will tend towards the larger end of the scale.
    I would just feed according to his appetite and waistline.
  8. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    General rule of thump with Mastiff breeds is add both the parents weights and divide by 2.
    Yes there will be those that break this rule.

Just enjoy him now, train, socialize and train, oh and socialize.
    Make sure not or over exercise and keep rough play to a min. (there bones are soft when young.)

Trust me in to short a time you will have a very large dog on your hands, building skills and a bond with him now, is way more important than his weight.
  9. Mat Thomas

Mat Thomas New Member

Name:
    Henchy
    How did your puppy end up I've got a male the exact same weight