My Minis Flying ears Health

Discussion in 'Miniature Schnauzer' started by RosieLove, Feb 15, 2007.

1. RosieLove

RosieLove

Name:
    Jessica

My Minis Flying ears

Hi

I have a 9 month old gorgeous mini schnauzer but since her adult teeth came through her ears 'fly'. I don't know if this is connected but they only started to fly when i collected her from her first cut at the groomers?
    Can anyone advise how get them floppy again? I have read on some sites you can tape them down but don't think Rosie will like that!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Rosielove :) Minis do sometimes fly their ears when teething and at 9 months your Mini will still be teething, the ears should be ok again when teething has finished.

If your Mini has very light ears (small and very thin) or if it comes from American stock where the ears are cropped so carriage isn't important there can be a problem.

It can help to just trim around the ears with scissors to get the shape rather than clipping them all over if the ears are flying during teething, this gives them more weight . Some people do stick the ears down with tape but I don't really think that helps much and can cause problems with allergy/the puppy scratching which in turn can lead to heamatomas.

Pleas post some pictures ...:grin:
  4. RosieLove

RosieLove

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanks for that - do you kmow when teething finishes - she seems to have all her adult teeth?

I have some photos of her when she was young , when i figure out how to upload them i will !!

Rosie doesn't seem to have the characteristic furry legs that minis usually have either- is this down to breeding? Bless her she is beautiful but at the minute is looking like she may have been the runt of the litter!!
  5. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Rosielove :grin: firstly how to post pictures..
    Click here :razz:

Regarding the teeth, I can't say when your puppy will finish teething, it varies from breed to breed and dog to dog, most puppies will have all their adult teeth in place by nine months, but they are still teething until the teeth are fully through .

What colour is your Mini? The furry legs are called 'furnishings' or 'feathering',the length of the furnishings is to some extent down to breeding and coat type, the dogs with good wire double coats sometimes have less furnishings than those with a softer coat (the softer coats are not correct anyway) again it varies. The blacks tend to have less furnishings too.

Trimming the body coat accentuates the furnishings, they won't be very profuse at nine months anyway.:)
  6. duboing

duboing New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    :lol: Sorry to laugh, but we've got an Irish terrier with the craziest ears you've ever seen She's coming up for ten months old now, and both ears are fully erect :blush:

Check this out:

[​IMG]
  7. suey

suey New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Meg and Azz like this.
    Hi Lexi has flying ears but I was dissapointed at first but now I love them it makes her more individual CNV00046.JPG
  8. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    suey likes this.
    Hi Sue :) it's nice to see Lexi again....
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    suey likes this.
    I think they look nice too @suey :)
  10. suey

suey New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Azz likes this.
    Thanks Meg and Azz it's good to be here
  11. Mother*ship

Mother*ship New Member

Name:
    J
    Meg and Azz like this.
    All the better to hear you with... Pepper's ear are all over the place!

IMG_1251.jpg
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I think that Mini Schnauzer are gorgeous, whatever their ears decide to do! :grin:
  13. Floppyears

Floppyears New Member

Name:
    Karen
    I guess I have the opposite problem. My Westie Roly has floppy ears, but at least it's not something that effects them in any way, unlike his various skin problems:mad:
  14. Floppyears

Floppyears New Member

Name:
    Karen
    I've just learnt how to put a picture in (with out help from my husband). So here is a picture of my floppy eared boy. 2013-06-26 11.34.45.jpg
  15. suey

suey New Member

Name:
    Sue
    He is adorable I love Westies