My Presa, Police and Palaver. General Chat

Discussion in 'Presa Canario' started by bexxy1985, Jun 26, 2011.

1. bexxy1985

bexxy1985 New Member

Name:
    bex

My Presa, Police and Palaver.

hi im not sure if this is the correct section to post this but...

I have taken time out of my day to visit our local police station with my puppy Freya's KC activity papers waiting for someone to give me any information on her risk of being picked up on the DDA list, as she is a Presa Canario. Only to be told that they didn’t go looking for those types of dogs they would wait and see if an incident was reported about her first before seeing if she fits the DDA characteristics, and that would be done by a vet as all they would do is search the internet for information and wouldn’t know where to start looking. I told the officer that both her parents were DNA AKC proven presa and both registered to the KC activity register as is she, and would that be sufficient to keep her from being picked up. I was told they did not know the answer to that question and that I seem to know more than they do about the breed??!! then laughing the officer told me he was sorry he couldn’t answer any of my questions and that if they needed a training course on the guidelines of DDA characteristics then he would know where to come??!!
    How infuriating I asked about the exemption list for dogs that have the physique of the bully breed but are actually another breed entirely and they had no clue about this? Just seems a little disappointing, I had hoped for them to note it down and get back to me but that wasn’t the case. They didn’t even look at her insurance papers KC papers or the vet’s report I guess there just too busy these days. :cry:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Have you any photos - would love to see her
  4. bexxy1985

bexxy1985 New Member

Name:
    bex
    yea sure

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

shes 17 weeks on monday :)
  5. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Oh, shes gorgeous and BIG for only 17 weeks. She looks a total sweetheart & very placid.

Thank you for sharing her photos!

Cute baby too!
  6. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Any dog with or without a pedigree can be registered with the KC on the Activities register-the wording of the certificate actually states that the registration doesn't guarantee the dogs offspring being accepted for registration with the KC
  7. bexxy1985

bexxy1985 New Member

Name:
    bex
    Oh I know that she’s already on their register forms been sent and several conversations with the KC about her already it’s just that you don’t have to have a purebred to register with the activity register. That’s why I went to the police station to query there policy.
  8. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    The same applies to AMerican Bulldogs
  9. Snoringbear

Snoringbear New Member

Name:
    Simon
    Probably not what you want to hear but having DNA proven parentage and any form of paperwork is no defence against the DDA. It's based solely on appearance anything else is disregarded. If you're concerned then it would be best to contact these people - http://www.ddawatch.co.uk/
  10. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    She is gorgeous!!

Don't see why u went to the police tho :? When U bought her this must of been on your mind? So its the chance u take...I don't think she will look 'type' tho :)
  11. bexxy1985

bexxy1985 New Member

Name:
    bex
    Well it seems that the police have decided they will only investigate her breed if there is an incident with her and as for the DDA characteristics well they have said they would seek the opinion of the vet that treats the dog if there not satisfied with the diagnosis of her breed then they will seek and independent vet to re-check so in short if she has a good temperament (she has) then there should be no problem

All in all a good outcome :lol: :grin: :lol:

I did know the risks of this breed but I went to the local police station because recently Scotland yard sent out paperwork to all stations explaining this was a pit-bull on steroids dog very big very aggressive and more of the unsavoury characters are getting them to become guard dogs for their illegal activities and for the police to be aware that this "pit-bull on steroids" can take a man down easily

beccy
  12. bexxy1985

bexxy1985 New Member

Name:
    bex
    thanks :lol: thats my yongest Ethan aged 3 he is stuck to Freya like glue
  13. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Gorgeous pup :007:
  14. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    I agree with someone else - DDAwatch etc

Why would you go to the police with her and her paperwork if you thought they may seize her?

Even 'pitbulls' on the register can be ok if neutered and muzzled...only if its a problem. (though have heard terrible stories surrounding amnesties)
  15. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass
    I'm not aware of a list of breeds such as you describe, not least as the DDA is based on appearance, not breed so other breeds or crosses are not specifically excluded.

What I am aware of is the Index of Exempt Dogs but that is an entirely different thing.

Under the 1996 DDA amendment illegal Pitbulls can be made legal if ordered by the court to be put on the Index of Exempt Dogs (IED). This can be following their having been found to be Section 1 Pitbull types (including pure bred Pitbulls) and then being granted a contingency destruction order and exemption under Section 4a, if their temperament is deemed appropriate, and assuming all the IED requirements are met.

Alternatively an owner can themselves apply to the court, through the police, under Section 4b of the DDA, to have their Pitbull put on the IED, when all the same conditions apply, including temperament assessment, being insured, neutered, microchipped and tattooed, muzzled and held on a lead by a responsible adult when out in public places.

There can be a risk in this. If the dog does not have a good temperament, or the court does not trust the owner to follow the exemption conditions at all times, that the court will order the now-admitted illegal breed dog to be put down.

Once on the register the dog can not be rehomed to anyone else, ever.
  16. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Off topic slightly .. But i read the thread title at first as ,''My presa ,police and pavlova .''
    My mind boggled ..lol''
  17. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Has you brain been turned to meringue?
  18. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass
    Lol :lol:

I now have a mental image of a food fight with dogs, police, pavlovas and cream everywhere :lol:
  19. sashaleigh

sashaleigh New Member

Name:
    Sasha-Leigh
    I don't get why you went to the police with her,there are 4 dogs on the banned breed list,PitBull,Dogo Argentino,Japanese Tosa and Fila Brasiliero.
    So there would be no reason for them to take your dog at all? Unless she had attacked a good few people and/or dogs.

She is cute,is she barnican bull lines?
  20. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    To be quite honest, i find it hard to understand why you would go to the police station if there had been no reported incident with your dog. With regards to police veing too busy to deal with your query...yes they are! And quite rightly so!

Sorry, i can only laugh at that! Highly unlikely!

Lovely pup tho, going to be big!
  21. sashaleigh

sashaleigh New Member

Name:
    Sasha-Leigh
    The dogs your talking about that were referred to as "pit bulls on steriods* are the Sanders Kennels ones,not the type you have.
    [​IMG]

Here is an origional presa from irema curto kennels in canary islands
    [​IMG]

sorry to go on again,its just I have this breed and I think going to the police to ask if its going to get seized implies that their is something to worry about,your pup may be placid but do you have any idea what they do to those dogs when they get sent their? I've had friends whos dogs have been taken and have came back different dogs,have been their childs best friend and once they have come back theyve started growling at the kids and being dog aggressive,I've seen dogs come back with infections and long nails,showing they havnt been walked-no wonder the dogs won't pass the test it will be going nuts.