Names for an NI General Chat

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by poser, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    Hero is really nice,

I like echo spelt Eko and zero too...
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Moonstone

Moonstone New Member

Name:
    S
    Welcome to Dogsey, and I like the name Hero too:grin:
  4. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    LOL, I like Hiro better, though...syler is one scary dude....
  5. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    Because no one actually wants any breed of terrier, or huskies, malamutes, hounds, pit bulls, or many of the other hunting breeds. :roll:
  6. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    Way to go on your new pup :) Can't wait to see pictures!!
  7. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Eh???

Can you explain that to me?
  8. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Name:
    Jessica

I think she was saying that all of these types of dogs hve a very high prey drive, so i guess no one wants them like you said :lol:
  9. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    Thanks for spelling it out! :grin:
  10. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I always say I won;t name a dog till I meet it and get to know its personality.....that being said - Tassle was named 3 months before she was a twinkle and Siren was 6 months :shock:

I am also a great beliver in names reflecting on the dogs personality......so naturally ....with Siren I have a very noisy pretty dog :lol:

Enjoy your pup :D
  11. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Yeah..she obviously missed what type of dogs I have
  12. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    Or I was just pointing out what a stupid comment that was...especially since you, myself, and many others on this forum have a "high prey drive dog" and many of those people wouldn't trade their pet for the world, and would gladly get another of the same breed, regardless of high prey drive....why would that stop a new person from getting the breed of their choice?
  13. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    You were pointing out a stupid comment:lol:

My point was to this comment..

Now I am sure that as much as we love our prey drive dogs we would'nt say that we love the fact they have it..

I would also go so far as to say there are breeds with better temprement than the NI
  14. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Better in what way though?? Thats the point isn't it Louise... Obviously for Poser the NI suited their lifestyle and home more than, say, a peke :) It doesnt mean either has a "better" temperment, that is a very sweeping statement. You choose a breed for the temperment that suits your personal circumstances and lifestyle and, believe it or not, people dont always have the same opinions about breeds as you :)
  15. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    and that is your opinion, which some may not agree with...
  16. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Some people are so rude, and should keep their petty, irrelevant to this thread comments to themselves (as if their opinion means much anyhow:roll: )but unfortunately their lack of manners seem to stop them behaving with even basic common courtesy.

Congratulations on your new boyxxxx
  17. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I appreciate the point about temperaments being suited to lifestyle etc... but in all honesty Jessica, the only thing you can say for the majority of NI's is that that have high prey drive. Dont forget the founder of these animals said they are none aggressive, submissive when challenged and ideal pets, how misleading is that!
  18. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I dont know Dawn, i've spoken to lots of people who own these dogs and tell me that they are the most wonderful pets. Yes, they have a high prey drive, but so do a lot of hounds and terriers and their owners deal with that. Im sure there are some breeders and owners who make their NIs temperments a bit suspect but i think its wrong, at this point when the breed is still being established, to say that they cannot make ideal pets :)

But, as i dont own the breed i dont claim to be an expert in these things, im merely giving an opinion based on information by those who do. And i just think it was incredibly rude of Louise to attack Poser for absolutely no reason as, quite frankly, no one on this forum should EXPECT to be priviledged to personal information about other members dogs and shouldnt try to bully the information out of them.

That is the thing that really annoyed me. I dont know enough about the breed to discuss their suitability as a pet in depth. OP seems to have researched that enough so i shall let them explain that if they feel they want to :)
  19. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    The problem with them Jessica is NOT the dogs, its the breeders who have "promoted" these dogs as pets. I have seen websites stating, "easily trained" and "can be let off leads" even "will live happily with other animals" its ridiculous. This is why these animals are in rescues all over the country.

Im not saying those things cant be said of some, but really, if I claimed that Borders wouldnt chase things, or you said that Labradors were good guard dogs, would we be misleading people? I think we would.

The fact remains that 2 guarding 3 high prey drive breeds have been used and breeders claim they make good pets, that IS misleading and its a downright lie in many cases, ultimately of course the dogs will suffer as sadly they already are.
  20. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    as you never had an NI as a pet, nor will you ever have one as a pet, how can you judge how they are as pets? and by responding "look at all the dogs in the rescues" well, that is a statement that can be used for ALL breeds....we don't have NI, but the main dogs in our shelters are Labs and Lab mixes...does that mean that Labs on this side of the pond are bad pets? No. It means that they are a common dog in this area, and more people want the dog, but don't want to train, thus the dogs end up in shelters. My "high prey" dog is a wonderful pet, but not everyone would agree that huskies make good pets, now would they?
  21. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    The fact is though Dawn that the experience I have of my own dogs is that they are easy to train, can be let of lead and do live with other animals and so of course I am going to stick up for my dogs when you say otherwise.

My dogs are wonderful pets to me so it is not necessarily a downright lie to say that.

I will admit that we do put an awful lot of time into our dogs and will agree that they would not be the breed for everyone, but for me I will stick to my opinion that they are a wonderful pet.

Also just to be awkward we did used to have a labrador that was an excellent guard dog :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.