New colour for a Weimeraner?!! Discussions

Discussion in 'Weimaraner' started by Kerryowner, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I saw the Newfoundland x Weim pups too, they are 3/4 Weim or something like that.

Why do you say no Weimaraner can be blue? Granted, it's a disqualifying colour but according to the literature, blue Weims have been occurring for decades.

Personally, I prefer the blue ones, but thats simply because I do not like brown (as in liver/choc colour) or the dilution of brown (lilacs in collies) and since i'm not into showing, as long as it was a good dog, I wouldnt be bothered.

I wouldnt pay extra for one though, but I can see how buyers can be duped.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    It is impossible according to genetics for a pure bred Weimaraner to be blue, there is loads of info on it.
  4. rune

rune

The lilac comes from two recessive genes---the brown and the dilute. So lilac to lilac should only ever produce lilac, since the other genes would not be present. If they were they would be dominant and therefore the dog wouldn't be lilac.

rune---who doesn't know much about genetics but did have cause to look into lilac!
  5. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    But it must be pure enough if the KC are willing to register it as a Weimaraner, surely?
  6. janie1975

janie1975 New Member

Name:
    Janie
    We have just bought our pup from Patsy & Stephen (Gunalt) and he was £800. £1200 sounds extortionate!! People may think £800 is ludicrous too, but it's the peace of mind and lifelong support as well as a good breeding line that we went for.

I've seen the blue ones advertised recently as well, a mixed litter of grey and blues. I wouldn't touch a blue one with a barge pole personally. Like someone said earlier, just encourages people to buy them to match their curtains and the novelty will soon wear off and could end up in the same situation as staffies, ie. rescue centres full of them when people realise how much hard work they entail!!
  7. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Well the 4 Breed Clubs have been arguing the case with the KC for some considerable time.......
  8. Andrew Mathison

Andrew Mathison New Member

Name:
    Andy
    I am on my third Weimaraner bitch since 1977. The latest is a "blue", from a very reputable breeder in Germany, where Blues are fully acceptable.
    She is at least as intelligent as my previous two silver greys were, and a beautiful colour that fools any digital camera. I call her dark bronze, but she appears to be black in most shots though...
    Great personality, good with children (but never alone with them), loves women and accepts men!!
    I can certain recommend the German Breeder "Weltkulturerbe" fully.
  9. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hello all,
    I heard blue Weimaraners are quite the common thing nowadays. Shame they don't fill up to their nickname anymore.:(
    Jane
    xx