"New" NI breed standard, anyone care to discuss, co my head is spinning!!

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Borderdawn, Jan 22, 2009.

1. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    Similarly, unless they have been traumatised, Sibes are the least aggressive dogs I have ever come across.

As far as the breeders/Breeders were concerned, I really don't know what their status within the breed was. They all owned several dogs though, and weren't just one-dog pet homes.

Mick
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Some are though and it would appear increasingly. One bit and ripped an owners ear, same one was rehomed but couldnt live with children or other dogs, her daughter was rehomed and couldnt live with other dogs either (yes two litters bred from this bitch) there have been several others, but I agree in "some" cases environment and upbringing can play a part. You must also understand that the temperament description has also been changed in this new standard. It used to say "friendly and placid, never showing any guarding tendancies. Will submit when challenged" but now it says: "Friendly, placid and outgoing" thats quite a leap you know! I think you will find many do show guarding tendancies and some are dog aggressive, certainly not all, but its a big step from one description to the next!
  4. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private

There are bad breeders out there, we all know this. There is also alot of ignornace out there. Some people probably think it is ok to cross their dogs simply for the sake of it.
  5. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Mick, of course non of us need dogs to live. But we live in a world of choice and freedom. I wanted a dog, the NID fitted what I wanted perfectly. I could've chosen any other dog breed but I felt non fitted as well as the NID. Personal choice.

Yes, Liz, you have hit the nail on the head IMO xxxxx
    However, if I had to choose between a Mal and a Husky I would choose the Mal, met some adorable ones at Crufts a few years back (and the owners were very honest about the breed and its characteristic, confiriming what I have read on the net) xxxx
  6. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    yeah we do try and paint the worst picture possible....but no I wouldn't believe all you read on the net
  7. susanatlasinski

susanatlasinski New Member

Name:
    Susan
    I have tried to avoid getting caught up in this thread as what I'm thinking in my head and what comes out of my Keyboard are often 2 different things and I don't want to upset or offend anyone.

Firstly, I am 100% against xbreeding, I feel that there is already enough breeds to choose from without "inventing" anymore. There is also too many xbreeds in rescue without adding to this. I personally feel that deliberately breeding xbreeds using any breeds is just a way for the breeders to make money.

I love all dogs no matter what breed, cross or mongrel, I owned a Siberian Husky cross for 18 years (she came out of an accidental mating with the local lab x collie and I got her for free) so don't please don't think I am only interested in pedigree dogs.

As far as I'm concerned, the NI is now an established breed with a large amount of dedicated owners/breeders, which is here to stay whether we like it or not, though there is still a lot of inconsistancy in type within the breed but that will hopefully come, providing the breed club/clubs and dedicated breeders get their act together.

This thread was originally about the breed standard which was obviously written by people who have little knowledge of canine anatomy/construction and until the breed clubs can sort this then they will go nowhere.

I think the part about chest was taken roughly from the Sibe breed standard. it states:
    Chest deep and strong but not too broad, deepest point being just behind and level with elbows. Ribs well sprung from spine but flattened on sides to allow for freedome of action.

Like Mick and Jemma, I was also horrified that my beloved Sibes were being used to create this new breed and worried about the welfare issues. I now accept that they are here to stay but sincerely hope that the breed club etc get their act together and sort out the health issues and write a standard for a breed that is healthy and is balanced in not only body but temperanent too.
    I met an absolutely gorgeous NI at work last week, he was such a sweetheart but sadly had horrendous HD, so sad for such a lovely dog. This is the type of thing that the breed people need to be addressing.
  8. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Well rounded, sensible, open and constructive post. Thank you xxxxx
  9. gemma riley

gemma riley New Member

Name:
    Ragapawz
    you got it out much better than me :lol:
    I agree about the part of the standard that you highlighted aswell

I to have a husky 'thing' not sure what he is LOL but I call him a sibe. He may even be an NI 8) 8) :lol:
  10. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I also agree thats where their wording comes from, although if the rest of the construction is all in one dog, I pity the poor thing. I suppose though, you could look at it for waht it is, a mixture of several different breeds and all of none!
  11. Ambermile

Ambermile New Member

Name:
    Arthur
    First thing I thought of when I read this reply was that I have two kids here... and two from a previous marriage as well :shock:

Hey Ma, I'm a Breeder :mrgreen: