New Owner Introductions

Discussion in 'Presa Canario' started by Kaate, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Kaate

Kaate New Member

Name:
    Kate

New Owner

Hi all :)
    I am due to get a little 20 week old Presa in 2 weeks! I am so nervous, but also so excited :) Any tips or words of advice for a first time presa owner? I am struggling to get any sort of pet insurance for him!
    Thanks all :)
    Kate :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Hi Kate

Is there any kind of breed club which could give you advice?

The idea of owning such a powerful dog must be very daunting. Do you have experience of similar dogs?

I hope all goes well for you and your new dog.
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    @Janet mentioned it in the other thread, the breeder is definitely a good place to start. Give them a call today - I am sure they won't mind :) it will act as a good starting point.

Also make sure the breeder has carried out all the health tests - hip tests are important.

As I mentioned in the other thread it has become difficult to get insurance for Presa's in the UK. You may well need to call the providers to ask if they insure the breed. It's actually one of the reasons I would think twice about getting a Press again - so difficult to find insurance.

Have you got pics of the pups and parents? Would love to see! :)
  5. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Congratz on the new pup.
    Temper and energy level wise they can be a lot like a Cane Corso.
    Biggest thing is to start training the day they come home.

They can be a very stubborn breed and most mastiff breeds can be.
  6. muddymoodymoo

muddymoodymoo New Member

Name:
    muddymoodymoo
    Have you tried PetPlan? They have a list of dogs they won't insure and a list they might. Can't remember on which list they had the Presa. :D

What made you choose such a powerful breed?
  7. Bev paul

Bev paul New Member

Name:
    Bev
    Be very strict from day one, they are very stubborn but very loving, my girl loves cuddles just off me tho likes other women but not so keen on strange men she is very friendly and playful with other dogs if they are friendly but if they bark or growl at her she wants that dog and doesn't give you any warning just lunges straight for it so be ready.
  8. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hello,
    First of all welcome to Breedia. I'm sure you'll settle in well. As 2 weeks have already passed since you posted. Everyone on here loves some good doggy pics. ;) Did you decide to get him/her?
    Jane
    xx