New Puppy Questions and Concerns Questions

Discussion in 'Pomeranian' started by edenrosiie, Jun 2, 2016.

1. edenrosiie

edenrosiie New Member

Name:
    edenrosiie
    6JRT's likes this.

New Puppy Questions and Concerns

I just recently added a new member to the family his name is Presley (named after the King of Rock n Roll of course)! He is 2 lbs of pure black fuzz and is the cutest thing. I always wanted a small toy-breed dog like him, we always had larger breeds and the other pomeranian we have is much, much larger (possibly mixed? rescued from a puppy mill so we don't know any details). I actually did purchase him from a breeder (Don't know if you can really call her that, she just sold me puppies her dogs had by chance if seemed) since no shelters had a puppy of a small breed that I needed for my situation. I am a college student, and Presley is actually coming with me to school as an Emotional Support Animal. I was diagnosed with MS in April, and my doctors and parents thought it would be a good form of therapy and something different insead of another medication to tack on to the several I am on currentlt. Right now, Presley is driving me up the wall! I have never had a dog this young (he is 11 weeks), and I wish I knew if this is the kind of temperment he will have as an adult or if it is just regular puppy stuff. He seems to always want to be with someone and playing, and has started the barking/whining nonstop if he is left alone (which scares me considering he will be alone for a few hours while I go to class). Presley is potty trained pretty well, however, which I am very happy with. Except I don't like him on my bed because he seems to still like to pee on towels/blankets for what seems like no reason (he could go two minutes before). He wakes me up early for breakfast, and I can tell when he is ready for lunch and dinner. He does get nasty sometimes and growls and BITES. Again, something I believe is normal for puppies but I just don't know to what extent. My shepherd mix puppy was very hyper but calmed down and i'm hoping this happens with Presley as well. Other forums and articles online say Pomeranians tend to stay this way: yappy and hyper but my other Pomeranian is very cuddly and is a great dog. Believe I may want to try clicker training but don't know where to start really, he does know how to sit and stay, learned that pretty quick. He also responds to his name. I think I am just the type of person who wants to know everything before it happens, I love this dog to death already and know I will definitely have my hands full! Any advice or answers to my questions will be very helpful, i'm hoping this guy will help me with the stress of my disease and what comes with it. He already has been a little blessing and source of joy.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC and edenrosiie like this.
    Your puppy as learnt that yapping/whinning gets him attention best way to stop this is ignore the pup, when he does the yapping/whinning to gain attention walk away from him & he will soon realise that yapping/whinning is not acceptable, [make sure first that the pup don't need to go toilet] the getting nasty & growling is not normal puppy behaviour this needs to be stopped now before he gets any older, he as learnt that getting nasty & growling gets him what he wants ie in charge of you.
    [playing/teething bites normal but sharp yelp will stop pup from biting]

Having a helping/companion dog is brilliant I have a JRT that is my epileptic & diabetic system alert dog, he has been trained to detect if I am going to have an epileptic seizure & if my sugar levels starts falling or if they are going to high.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    The biting is normal puppy behaviour but should be discouraged, either by redirection or a sharp no followed by ignoring him, patience and consistency is the key.

To get him used to being left alone start when you are home by putting him in a separate room or crate if you are using one with a stuffed Kong’ if you freeze it beforehand it will last longer at first leave him for about 15/20 mins then let him out, do this several times daily gradually building up the time he is left.

PS love the name
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    One more thing try not to get into habit of picking your pup up & carrying him everywhere, as this can start your pup to become aggressive with anyone that comes near you, [can be known as small dog syndrome] its far better to let him walk so he don't come over protective of you.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    edenrosiie likes this.
    I posted but then realised I was on the wrong thread, so deleted it. Sorry :oops:
  7. Amberad

Amberad New Member

Name:
    Amber
    I have all of the same problems with my pom. Mostly the nonstop barking/whining. It would be easier for me to ignore it if I lived alone but I live in an apartment with 2 other roommates. After a while I feel I have to shut him up somehow.