New spectacles lenses again General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

New spectacles lenses again

Mutter mutter, groan groan, but at least it is only two pairs this time. Well, just my computer spectacles as I always need spare ones for everything and I did have the necessary frames so at least I did not need to buy new frames.

So at the moment I have only one pair of the then previous prescription specs with my computer lenses, which are not really perfect but better than nothing, and Amit has taken a couple of frames to reglaze - saves me having to go for a sight test and at least for the moment I have one pair, even though I have to squint at times to read things on the monitor.

Old age does nasty things and sight changes being one of them. Especially when I rely on my computer so much.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    You do seem to need a lot of specs. Mind you, your falls must be a big contributing factor! It must be a big expense if lenses are as dear as they are over here. I have never looked into reglazing, but I do make my glasses last for much longer than I should do.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Not really a lot of specs Carole - just that I need different lenses for different things. I knew I was having problems with my computer specs - stupid eyes and old age not helping much, but nice cheapo frames from China and a lovely optician who will glaze and reglaze them takes the edge off the expense. And the not so expensive cost of the lenses are nothing compared to good sight.

I cannot wear multifocal [ or whatever they are called] spectacles because I have different lens sights in each eye. My bifocals are fine for when I am out although I do have a folding magnifying glass with me - and no way will I now attempt to move around wearing specs. Been there. Done that. Nearly lost my eye - both eyes.

So, Amit turned up with a case full of lenses and followed me around to see what the specs I have and are OK, and why I needed new lenses for the computer. This is something that really cannot be checked at his place because I sit here, in front of my monitor and not there. And something he needed to see for himself, not just yes or no, this is better than that.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I have varifocal lenses and when I lost a lens (long story) I found out that it costs nearly as much to replace a single lens as buying a new pair of glasses. Also, if I'd have gone down the replacement lens route, they said the glasses wouldn't be guaranteed. Hence, I went for new glasses, but I liked my old frames better than the ones I have now :(

To make matters worse, they retested my eyes and found out that I have the start of macular degeneration so it wasn't a good experience at all, at all, at all
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oh Chis - as far as I know I do not have problems with macular degeneration and I do - ahem - have some really nice frames from China that Amit will put my prescription lenses in - you think I am going to argue about a couple of dollars for frames that suit me, are comfortable, and I like? He will put my prescription lenses in the frames as long as he thinks the frames are suitable.

Having worn spectacles since I was maybe six or seven years old, I feel naked without them and at the moment I cannot see too good when using my computer so I will be very happy when Amit brings my new specs, as at the moment I am having to squint and close my right eye in order to see the monitor clearly.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @Chris B - looking again at your post, the more I am grateful that Amit helps me so much. And the more grateful that I am that he will glaze the cheapo but perfect for me frames.

It is not so much the cost of the frames but that I feel comfortable wearing them and that I think they look good, the lenses will always cost a fortune but I need to be able to see.