New Wolfie puppy training General Chat

Discussion in 'Irish Wolfhound' started by Umasmama, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Umasmama

Umasmama New Member

Name:
    Gretchen

New Wolfie puppy training

Hi Irish Wolfhound lovers! We have a 12 week old puppy, UMa, who is a love, but pure puppy. We have read a lot of conflicting information about training and need some direction so we do this the right way before she gets any bigger. The things we are most concerned with correcting are chewing hands and not pulling on the leash. Any suggestions for wolfhound specific programs or tips?
    Thanks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Gretchen - welcome to you and Uma to Breedia from little Tikva and from me. :039:

The person you need is @Phil who has the gorgeous Willow, an IWH [and other lovely woofles] - and hopefully he will pop his head into Breedia to help you. :)
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome to the forum Gretchen and Uma.
    Carole, Eddie and Merry the Beagles.
  5. Umasmama

Umasmama New Member

Name:
    Gretchen
    Thank you!
  6. Umasmama

Umasmama New Member

Name:
    Gretchen
    Thanks!
  7. K-dawg

K-dawg New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    Hi there and welcome!

I started lead training Augie a few weeks ago and it has been quite easy so far. As there demeanour is naturally quite calm, he took to the "heal" command readily and the "sit" command came in short order.

Regarding biting on the leash, I would try to be patient and consistent by stopping her immediately with a correction "no" and when she does let go, praise for the corrected behaviour. It's also pretty normal puppy behaviour so I wouldn't lose any sleep over this.

The chewing hands bit we treated the same way (and we're still working on this at 5 months). It's just normal puppy behaviour and part of the teething phase. Again, being consistent and patient is the best path.

My two cents.

K
  8. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hello there,
    @Phil We seek your wolfie advice. Lol :D
    Jane
    xx