Newfoundland photos please! Photos

Discussion in 'Newfoundland' started by Lorna, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Lorna

Lorna New Member

Name:
    Lorna
    I'm really quite falling in love with the breed.....Icon would definitely love a newfie friend - he would probably play with it constantly as he's a really social being is my baby boy!

I think a black and white newfie girlie would look rather lovely with my black and white dally boy......what do you think???
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    On days my hubby walks Mo he goes to the woods (I can't manage it, too steep) and nearly always comes home telling me about a Newfie he meets. He said one day "cor don't they slobber?" but I had no idea how much til I read these entertaining posts :lol:
    The story goes that this Newfie lives in a pub on the harbour and if anyone inadvertantly lets him out, he is straight in the harbour, swimming for all he is worth and it takes hours to get him back on dry land :roll: :lol:
    They sound a fascinating breed and thank you all for such funny stories :grin:
  4. shiba

shiba New Member

Name:
    kirstie
    Yes definately, sometimes jess suprises me at just how fast she can run when she wants.

You just have to be carefull early on, no jumping from cars, no stairs etc

I think the best thing you could do is meet a breeder and there dogs for the afternoon.

Be warned though on a serious note, and i mean it...if you are house proud it will be an issue. They can go out in the garden, find the smallest puddle or container that has collected water and within 2 minutes they have either tried to paddle in it or rolled in it...then quite happily walk across your carpets etc. Could you put up with that? She walks through my kitchen and leaves mud trails all on the front of my kitchen cabinets daily. It is amazing how much mud and dirt a newfie coat can hold. Even if it is dry for a bit you still have hair EVERYWHERE. You will never go out on a posh night without hair or a small dribble mark on you no matter how fast you get to your front door.:lol:

In saying that they are the most devoted loyal loving friends you will ever have......and most people you meet want to talk to you about your dog and say hello. I am very proud to say she is mine.:lol:
  5. IsoChick

IsoChick New Member

Name:
    Shelley
    Goodness, I know how that feels! Doesn't matter what you wear, how you try to distract the dogs before racing to the door or anything; dribbly chops, muddy paws, dog hair..... mmmmm
  6. Losos

Losos New Member

Name:
    Harvey
    I'd just like to confirm what Shiba has said. I think it's very important to be aware that if you have a Newf your house will never be pristine, not just the house but the garden as well, and the car:lol: If you think you can handle it try this simple test, go to the garden and get a handful of grass, come inside and throw it all over your carpet, then go and get some soil and do the same, then put on your best glad rags and cut your hair and rub the cut offs all down your dress.

We had to invest in a Bosch GAS25 industrial vacuum cleaner to cope with all the hairs and they still pop up in my steak & kidney pud on a regular basis.

You probably think I'm joking and it can't be that bad, but it is believe me, we've got two.

Of course as Shiba has also said they are the most devoted and loving dogs and their character is such that one can't help loving them. See my signature below.
  7. Losos

Losos New Member

Name:
    Harvey
    Yes, totaly agree with that statement:lol: Forgot to mention above that we also had to go out and buy a new car big enough to carry them.

On a very serious note, if you are a young lady of slimline proportions you really do need to visit someone who has a fully grown Newf. and try walking them 'on lead'

Our Rianna for example can pull me, (a reasonably fit man weighing 90 Kgs.) up a very steep hill with no bother at all.:roll:
  8. leo

leo

Name:
    marie
    Good point losos.
    You have to think because you have to be careful with exercise with a young pup, learning to walk to heel is a long process.
    While the little bundle is growing fast, and getting stronger every day.
    It doesn't mean it can't be done though, i'm about 7 stone tob was at his biggest 88 kg,so he could throw me round like a rag doll if he wished.
    But thats were the control and what is expected comes in to it, otherwise i could never have mine on the lead, without being dragged behind.
    Theres nothing like getting a buzz from walking a big dog to heel.
  9. ShaynLola

ShaynLola New Member

Name:
    Jules
    Very good point.

My Newf is pretty slight compared to some but she is strong as a bull. Aged only 6 months she pulled my 6'2", 14 stone OH off his feet on wet grass and he injured his back :shock:

Oh, and I noticed, Lorna, that you metioned getting a black and white? On the nuttiness scale, Landseers are only marginally behind the browns :lol: Do yourself a favour and stave off premature greying for another few years...get a black ;-) :lol:
  10. Lorna

Lorna New Member

Name:
    Lorna
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

I love this, I'm not houseproud.....dalmatian hairs get EVERYWHERE so I'm pretty prepared for that! Drool will be a new one, as dallys don't drool. I am only 8st, so that is one of my hesitations regarding strength, but thats where the training comes into it - dalmatians are a very pully breed....

So are the black and white ones more nutty than a dalmatian?

I would definately want to go an meet a newfie family before I even consider one lol! Any takers for a small welsh bird to invade one afternoon lol!
  11. leo

leo

Name:
    marie
    Lorna if i am 7 st and can walk a leo, which are generally quite a bit bigger in weight than neffies theres no reason you can't.
    But it will strengthen your muscles.........;) You won't need to weight lift i can tell you.
  12. Lorna

Lorna New Member

Name:
    Lorna
    Awesome, I'm not a big fan of the gym (that was a blatent lie....I go twice a week to taekwondo, and to the gym...!)

So on the nuttiness scale......where would the dalmatian come in amongst the different coloured newfies?
  13. ShaynLola

ShaynLola New Member

Name:
    Jules
    I think dalmatians are a different kind of bonkers :lol: but I'd say probably less so than a brown and maybe about the same as a Landseer.

The benefit of getting a brown first is that every other dog in future will be a doddle in comparison (she said, desperately looking for the silver lining on this particularly mental brown cloud :roll: :lol: )

The strength/pulling thing is just something to bear in mind. My Xbreed weighs about the same as my Newf (so that's just 17 stones/110kg of dog at the end of the leads :shock:) but I can walk them together and haven't (yet) had any mishaps. Early & consistent training is the key. It would also help if your Dal is already trained to walk nicely on lead.
  14. Lorna

Lorna New Member

Name:
    Lorna
    I'm still falling for a Landseer.......

Icon walks lovely when I have food lol! He's clicker trained, and I've always got a clicker on me, when we were at training last night, he was quite literally my angel, he was as good as gold, but the vet nurse did tell me that he's going through his adolescence and will be a pain when other doggies are around for quite some time - all he wants to do is play with them constantly!!!!! When I let him play, I then have to physically go and fetch him, or the other family adopt a dalmatian!

Hence the planning very much in advance......!!!!!!

I really need to go visit some Newfies don't I lol! They are so beautiful though!
  15. ShaynLola

ShaynLola New Member

Name:
    Jules
    My Xbreed was very like your pup at the start (although he was 6 months old when we got him) and was far more interested in other dogs but the novelty has worn off as he's got older. Now he's far more focused on seeking out discarded kebabs :roll:

I've recently started clicker training my Newf too and she has taken to it very well :grin: I'll definitely be clicker training any pups I get in future. I have my name down for a black boy pup from a gorgeous imported bitch and he will hopefully be with us in 2009 (fingers firmly crossed!!)
  16. Lorna

Lorna New Member

Name:
    Lorna
    I note the use of the word BLACK there lol!!!!!!!!

I love clicker training, the effects are just brilliant! You do realise if you get your wee puppy in 2009 I will actually be banging on your doorstep to be newfiefied!
  17. ShaynLola

ShaynLola New Member

Name:
    Jules

And you and Icon would be more than welcome :)

Yes, note the word BLACK!! :lol: Actually, if a Brown cropped up in the litter, I'd have it like a shot, being the glutton for punishment that I am, but I'm pretty sure it'll be an all black litter.
  18. Lorna

Lorna New Member

Name:
    Lorna
    Awwww I would love to be newfiefied, we'd have a ball with your gorgeous babies! You're sooooooo going to end up with a brown ;) xxxxxxx
  19. DippyLeo

DippyLeo New Member

Name:
    DippyLeo
    Had to laugh at that shaynlola - soooo true!!

Have to agree with everything the Newf Peeps have said, owning newfs is a way of life ;-)

Just a pic or two of my Brown Idiot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ooops .... Sorry got carried away! :mrgreen:
  20. Lorna

Lorna New Member

Name:
    Lorna
    oh my goodness those pics are just gorgeous!!!!! Look at those puppy pics!!!!!! Any more?????? :D:D:D:D:D
  21. DippyLeo

DippyLeo New Member

Name:
    DippyLeo
    :lol: Don't get me started on the pics Lorna, I'd never stop posting! (not that I like to show the idoit off you understand! :twisted: )