Newly adopted 5 yr old shedding A LOT Health

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by Lspocsf, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Lspocsf

Lspocsf New Member

Name:
    Dan

Newly adopted 5 yr old shedding A LOT

Hello, all. New to this forum. We adopted a 5 year old Dane about 10 days ago - owner had died and dog was shuffled around a while. My wife had Danes in the past so she has experience...

Anyway, we noticed a lot of hair on the floor when we vacuumed after a few days - started brushing regularly - seems like a LOT of hair comes off, and more still gets vacuumed. Anyway, looking for suggestions. Or maybe this is normal.

We did change diet somewhat. Dropped some of the supplements they provided. Rescue never said why they were feeding those, or reported hair shedding... Vet is mostly unavailable given corona virus biz shutdown...

I guess first question: do Danes shed a lot? No bare spots or anything.

Thanks in advance
    Dan
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Dan, welcome to you and your new Dane to Breedia. I do not know anything about the breed but hopefully someone will be able to advise you about his shedding.

What food are you giving him now and what [and why] did you change it from what the rescue were feeding him, also what were the supplements they were giving him and was there any reason why you stopped them? Are you still giving him any supplements, if so what are they? Possibly the loss of his previous owner, the shuffling around and then another new home with you, plus a change in his food and supplements are the cause of his shedding.

Well done for rescuing him - and please post some photographs to share with us. :)
  4. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    It could be that he's a bit stressed.

His World has been turned upside down and he's still getting used to his new surroundings and people.

He won't feel secure yet in knowing that he is in a forever home.