NI article Discussions

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Louise13, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Yep, by some.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Louise13, tried to pm you but your box is full.
  4. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Have removed some stuff now.. still can't see the ad..but as I said people that advertise on Preloved etc are just trying to get rid..so I wouldn't class them as worth bothering about.. give me some Ute breeder websites blagging on about how wolfie alike they are..
  5. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Ok, I will pm you:grin:
  6. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

What's the big secret? :grin:

Both NIs and Utes have been advertised as wolf look-a-likes - that is well known.
  7. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    There is no secret, Louise asked me if Utes were advertised as wolf look alikes, I believed they were but wanted to confirm it, found a link but I didn't think it was allowed to put add links on here? So I sent it as a pm. I do not think this is against policy.
  8. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Having looked through a Ute breeders website...Well.... lets just say there are a few collie cross looking dogs on there and also a white gsd lookilike..

So.. other than not seeing a "type" in them..I don't believe they should be sold as wolf look a likes either
  9. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    Yet so many state,,,MY WOLF looky likey dog :?

I find it strange that some of the NI people have made so much of last nights program, more so as they have been trying so hard to have the breed recognised by the KC for years now :?

Perhaps you all got off light, lets face it had the NI been a KC breed by now, could your breed have been featured on the programe with questions being asked from breed clubs or top breeders about blood lines, health defects,
    what would the answer have been by said people,,, :roll:
  10. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

I think many NI owners on here have said they don't want KC recognition. Perhaps, going on last night's shocking revelations about destruction of breeds, it's a good thing too.
  11. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    Poss I should direct this at an NI owner, but where do you feel the NI will go if not the KC, are NIS no longer looking to gain KC recognition?
  12. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

:lol: Probably - definitely - best direct this towards the NI clubs as I am nothing to do with them. However, I personally feel Ute clubs should concentrate on eradicating - or at the very least reducing - any health issues before worrying about anything else for now and if the breed is to continue, to look at new blood as the gene pool is decidedly small. Plenty of time then to worry about fine tuning of looks etc.

How about you - what do you feel is most important?
  13. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I feel poss the Ute's have far less contoversy surrounding them, IMO,
    As for NI's well its all out there for the reading,

that said the two breeds did more or less start form the same point, so yes I think they need to sort out problems within the breed,
    With proper documentation being kept on everything.
  14. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Yeah it's a tough one, often because of the politics within the breeds.
  15. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Do you think thats because they are far less popular though, particularly as many do NOT promote them as wolk look alikes?
  16. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    My honest answer to that would have to be, Im not sure, there just doesnt seem to be as much nastyness, poss they are of lesser numbers too, but in a breed thats having problems reducing the amount being bred can only be a good thing.
    I cant say I have seen so as many wolfy Ute comments as you see in NI threads,
  17. ursula

ursula New Member

I think the nastiness is mainly on this forum not WITHIN the NIS
  18. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    Just out of interest, where would you look for this "new blood" and which breed(s) would you select for this addition to the gene pool. Where would you find excellent, health tested examples of these breeds to use in a breeding programme? No reputable breeder of any breed would be part of such an undertaking, so you would be back at the beginning - using unknown (or possibly badly bred examples of a breed) to bolster the gene pool.

Mick
  19. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    what's wrong with being 'wolfy' or 'wolf looking' ?... Aren't Min pins just chihuahuas bred with manchester terriers to be miniature 'doberman looking'. Aren't many dogs bred for what they look like and not what they can do?

Clearly it's not practical to keep a wolf and not safe to wolf hybridise, so breeding the wolfier looking dogs together to make a 'wolf' looking safe calm dog would be a better solution.

I had never heard of any of these breeds before I joined this forum so I am new to this 'debate'. I have to admit, I don't understand most of it.
  20. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    So why is there MORE threads started about these dogs by THEIR owners than any other breed of Dog? Surely they would stick to the NI forums where they can talk about them to their hearts content without any nastiness? I mean I would! :roll:
  21. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Indeed, which is why I said IF the breed is to continue. Given the two scenarios you mention then it's stalemate, isn't it? I'm being pragmatic as to what would need to be addressed. Others may well disagree and feel things are fine as is.