NI breeder General Chat

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by kcjack, Jul 16, 2009.

1. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue

No That was Inukshuk, her first litter, this time its Tikaani but dont know his registered name:grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Aw thanks, just had a look its mahlek Ituah ( tikkani ) they look very similar x
  4. Tracey381

Tracey381 New Member

Name:
    Tracey
    Yes they are Registered with the NIS and yes i agree a lovely litter pups, and a very nice man too.
  5. batmandy

batmandy New Member

Name:
    Mandy
    I know who they are very good breeders, suprised louise13 doesn`t know them:)
  6. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    :?: Have I missed something:?: Ref Louise that is.....
  7. **Leanne**

**Leanne** New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Lovely pups! I do have to ask if KCJack really has nothing better to do than post about NI's?
  8. maggiep

maggiep New Member

Name:
    Maggie
    Hi Claudine,

Can I pick your brains please? I was looking at your posts and was really impressed by your training, esp with regard to livestock, and I wondered if you had any experience of training an NI with regard to not digging up the garden?

We have reserved an NI pup with a breeder (Julestar Inuits), and are due to collect him in a few weeks. I have owned dogs before, but I am now quite worried about the various posts I've seen (esp on the NI Society website) about NI's digging your garden up.

I'm happy to spend as much time on this as necessary with the pup, and also for him to have a small area of the garden where we can make a game of digging.

I'm finding it a bit odd that there are so many posts saying how intelligent and trainable the NI is, but then going onto say what a mess they make of the garden!

Grateful for any ideas! Thanks, Maggie
  9. velvetvampyre

velvetvampyre

Name:
    Not for the likes of you lot
    Hi Maggie
    Not all NI's dig :grin:
    It is great to watch them though if you don't mind. I had a patch ready foy my puppy but thought better not teach him at all. It's a case of being vigulant when they are outside, using voice commands to tell them no, even a quick spray with the hose. I clap my hands when I'm not happy with him digging, when he stops I call him over and praise him. It's a habit now and the kids do it too. It works. :grin: :grin:
    If they are given bones and they don't finish them then they will bury them for sure. If that's the case then let then have them on a paving area and remove them as soon as the dogs finished. I'm in the process of having a wooden fence and gate made to keep my doggy off the grass and shrubs while outside when alone. This will also help the grass too. Good for the winter as no muddy paws either.
    It is very possible to train them but dogs will be dogs 8)
  10. maggiep

maggiep New Member

Name:
    Maggie
    Thank you very much, I feel a bit happier now and am looking forward to getting the little chap.
  11. velvetvampyre

velvetvampyre

Name:
    Well Lucian's 10 mths now, still in puppy mode, a total delight, my first dog ever and I've never looked back. I can feel your excitment. Congratulations :0)
  12. Kalasin

Kalasin New Member

Name:
    Kalasin
    If you like your garden the way it is, is there any way you could maybe fence off a section for the pup to have 'play time' in? Much as we keep an eye on Kiba in the garden, what with him and the boarding dogs as well I have a couple of nice craters in my garden!

Not that I mind as the grass is all dead and the garden is more of a jungle right now anyway.

Best of luck with your pup, many happy years to come!
  13. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    All of mine have been diggers. They adore digging.

Goodluck with your new pup.
  14. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    ps you should pop some pics in the NID / Ute owners thread xx We all love cooing over puppies xxxxx
  15. claudeen

claudeen New Member

Hi Maggie

I totally agree with velvet vampyre's reply. You can train them not to dig, as they respond to your command, but its when they are alone in the garden that they can get a little carried away:roll: . Something usually triggers the digging though, mostly bones and toys, or if they can smell rabbits or moles. I would not have a digging patch at all, better not to encourage the behaviour. Otto only ever digs when he is in the field, never in the garden. Lola usually to bury a bone, and the other 2 always seem to smell something, they dug down to the mains water pipe last week. The thing is, if you shout NO they instantly stop what they are doing and leave, they are very clever they know when they are doing wrong, however they will push to the limit because they are so damn cheeky;-) I would also suggest that you fence your lawn off and leave a patio play area, its much easier to clean and disinfect if your dog has a toilet accident :grin:
  16. maggiep

maggiep New Member

Name:
    Maggie
    Thank you all! I will see how we go and be prepared for every eventuality. Sounds like I will need eyes in the back of my head though!
  17. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    You certainly do for these dogs :mrgreen: xxxxxxxxxxxx
  18. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I must confess, I have never stopped them digging as the garden needs a refurb anyhow. However, OHs father was over at Xmas, saw the dogs digging and banged on the window and shouted 'no'. They stopped, looked at him for a mo, then carried on, lol!!!!! XXXxxxxxxxx
  19. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Ours will dig if left unattended in the garden, they have been trying to dig up the big cherry tree since we got Raina. They will stop when asked as they know its not allowed but will carry on if left again. Its the cheeky streak in them. We have now fenced off the patio area so the grass can grow and we have a lawn!

As well as digging them playing, zoomies and fighting tears up the grass as well which was another reason for the fence. Oh and they tend to eat/chew the plants as well i have found
  20. velvetvampyre

velvetvampyre

Name:
    I got my idea from your pics Razcox......looking forward to my fence...thing is...HOW HIGH NOW!!! lmao....then again that's another subject...how high can yours jump?:shock:
  21. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Depends if you have a 'jumper/climber' or not? I know of one NID who will jump/climb 8 ft no problem:shock: Mine, thank god, will not , although more than capable, I am sure, they seem to accept that boundary. That being said, when Thunder was a youngster, he would climb a 6 ft wall, luckily he seems to have grown out of it.