NI breeder General Chat

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by kcjack, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Our fence is 5ft as our pair are not fence jumpers, we taught them from day one that any sort of fence is a boundry and not be crossed unless told to. We also did this with doors and gates as well so they wont just shot through an open door way.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I am not sure how I view jumpers. I used to think it was all about training but I remember reading of a lady who was beside herself, ref her dog jumping and exploring his neighbour hood (farm land), that was a BID. Then I met the dog I mentioned (NID). I now truly believe some have wonder lust and they will go given a chance. Same as some of the Northern Breeds, I guess, I am sure high fencing is recommended for them. Not all will try and go off exploring but some will.
  4. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    my girl can and will jump a 6ft+ fence from a standstill, if she wants to find me.
  5. Kalasin

Kalasin New Member

Name:
    Kalasin
    Kiba can clear our front garden's 3.5ft fence from standing to get to me if we're washing the car or doing something out the front. But that garden was never meant to be dog proof anyway. In the back garden we have 6ft mesh fencing and I've never had a dog go over that. Kiba can almost get his paws to the top but wouldn't climb it because he'd get his feet stuck in the holes and certainly couldn't jump it.
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    They also suffer from extreme separation anxiety. (not all) I believe several NI owners used electric collars to gain some "control" of their NI's as they have high prey drive and many have poor recall. You may need to address your concerns with the breeder, some will say anything to get a sale, the best ones will be the most honest. Look at where you pup has been bred and reared and its parents too, it may be correct that "they" ;-) dont wreck, but if kept in a concrete kennel and run all their lives, they are hardly likely to dig are they?

Just a word of caution, do your homework and you will be best prepared for the puppy on its arrival.:001:
  7. velvetvampyre

velvetvampyre

Name:
    Not for the likes of you lot
    Homeworks great fun.....I'm one of the lucky ones, my NI doesn't have SA.....I did little games with him like hide and seek and peekaboo...yep really did.......just stayed out longer and longer......no problems now, never have been. I know because I have the house windows open and I'd hear. I don't have a routine of grabbing a bag or keys either to alert him. I also do not say good bye to him. I reward him when I come back home or into the room. He also doesn't come into our dinning room while the family eats....it's a routine that we have stuck with....he will curl up under the stairs and watch the door though :0) Start as you mean to carry on.....puppies get away with lots.
    I do know that if there was a barrier between us and I was calling him to me then he would do his upmost to get to me.......that can be any dog though...it's our bond. :grin:
  8. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    My girls are both jumpers Misty more so than Dita as she can clear the 4ft gate from almost sitting if/when she so chooses and has come over the 6ft fence at the side of the house with the aid of the bin as a leg up. I also remember when I lived in Newcastle, Dita got out the back garden, ran round to the park behind the houses across the road, scaled the neighbours 6ft solid wood fence and promptly went and plonked her self on their patio and sprawled out sunbathing happy as larry, I was non the wiser - that is of course until I got a knock on the door asking if I would like to collect my dog! :blush: They often visit my current next door neighbours by hopping over the fence and even fitting through tiny gaps left when its been highered I ended up building my own fence with gate to keep them off the grass and away from next door's fence and they learn't to lift the latch on the gate so thats now a bolt! They are not stupid thats for sure!!

Dita is a horrendous digger and she can dig very very deep and make lots and lots of mess in a very short space of time.
  9. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie

LOL.. we had a similar incident.. i got a knock on my front door.. there stood my neighbour, she asked me can you fetch your dog. Apparently she had jumped over a 6 ft fence, gone through their open back door and was sitting on my neighbours settee with her border collie. The neighbour had been upstairs when Freya invited herself in :mrgreen:

Both of mine dig and had churned all the lawn up.. they were continually coming in with muddy feet, as they can open doors by them selves. So we decided to gravel the entire garden... much cleaner.

i have not been in the mud.. honest
    [​IMG]
  10. Kalasin

Kalasin New Member

Name:
    Kalasin
    These are my natural markings...honest!
    [​IMG]
  11. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Digging pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. Kalasin

Kalasin New Member

Name:
    Kalasin
    Now THAT is a prize winning hole right there! Well done Thunder!

I love Shunka's face wrinklies in that first pic. Utterly gorgeous!
  13. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Yep, we call Thunder a minner!!! Shunka does alot of 'directing' but also his fair share of digging:
    [​IMG]
  14. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Infact, perhaps he taught Kaliska:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Glad this thread has been bumped as I missed this the first time around....

WHy would I know these people??
  16. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    When Batmandy said she is surprised you don't know them , I didn't know what she meant. That is what 'have I missed something?' meant.
  17. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    I know what you meant..BUT I want to know what she means...

Never heard of them, I don't "move" in NI circles or Andalusian horse circles either!
    I presume they aren't from my area as I don't know of any Andalusian breeders in my area..

What a very odd thing to say!..Clearly I have missed something too:roll:
  18. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Don't worry about it. I know you wont anyhow;-) Xxxxxxxx
  19. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Well you know me LOL..

I've PM'ed to find out what she means!
  20. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    :mrgreen: You can keep us posted then xxxxx
  21. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    Isis isn't a full NI but she's been seen Jumping a 8ft wall from standing, no clambering up it or anything just up n over :shock:
    She's never done it since though thank god lol x