NI query Discussions

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by JAYEL, Jun 19, 2009.

1. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    I must say I dont think an Ni is a great 1st time dog. kato is extremely powerful and I have had him since 6 months and every few months he tests the boundaries, not with us but with other dogs and general naughtness. I can imagine in an inexperienced owner you could end up with a big powerful nightmare.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    Oh I dunno...Ami my husky was a pain in the butt. At the time we thought it was just normal puppy behavior...but Lupa, my NI, has been quite a blessing. She picked up her manners instantly, no problems with potty training, eating things, not listening, pulling...it kinda made me realize that Ami was definitely not a good dog to start with, but I know that I am a much better pet owner and trainer now because of her. If Lupa is a good example of an NI, I would have to say that they are not the most difficult breed, like some like to say. If a puppy can travel nearly 10 hours to a person she never met, and still retain all puppy lessons from the breeder...and fit right into place with the family, I would say they would adapt to anything as long as they are properly socialized from the beginning.

As what was said earlier, it just depends on how dedicated you are.
  4. MaryS

MaryS New Member

Name:
    Mary
    OP hasn't posted for a while but here is my 2p anyway.
    I have nothing against these dogs...in fact when I've met them, thanks to all the hype I can recognise them now tho' I sometime confuse NI with BI and Ute LOL. The ones I have met have been lively but well behaved and not especially focussed on strangers ...ie will look through you when approaching: something many Northern breeds do.
    One thing I would say is look at the pedigree and see in 5 or 6 generations how many repeat dogs there are. The fewer the better. Ask the breeder to work out the COI - co-efficient of inbreeding. If they don't know what that is, find another breeder.
    There is quite alot on the net now about COI...in Europe less than 6% is mandatory in many countries......
    you will be protecting yourself and future pup owners if you ask about it as it will encourage breeders to be sensible in their breeding plans.

Good luck in your search.