NI/Ute Health Problems Health

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Jo_W, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo

NI/Ute Health Problems

OK, firstly I would just like to say that I am not looking to be lynched here, nor am I prepared to get involved in any arguments, however, I am curious.

Obviously, there are quite alot of NI/Ute owners on here, so I would just like to know, how many you own, what diagnosed health problems they have, if any and if they are registered with any group and if so which one please?

And please don't turn this into a row, I really would like genuine answers only.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    I have 1 full Northern Inuit she has no health problems that I am aware of, she will be hip scored in the next few months just so i know if she will have any problems in the future, she is also a NIS registered girl. ( edited to add she is a one testicle gene carrier)
    I also have 1 NI mix she also has no health problems that i am aware of she does however have a dodgy stomach but i think thats due to her prior neglect, she will also be hip scored when old enough again just so i know if any problems are going to occur. She is not registered with anyone as she is not a full NI xx
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2008
  4. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    I own a British Inuit (split off from the NI), member of the British Inuit Dog Club, and he has no health problems, so far.
  5. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    I hope you get some useful info.
  6. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo
    Sorry, should have included BI in the title oops.

Sal, Thank you
  7. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    I have two NIS registered NIs, both two years old.
    My entire male has no known health problems.
    My speyed bitch has no known health problems.
  8. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    I have 2 Utonagan girlies that are litter sisters, they are coming up to 3 years old this year and they have had no health problems at all. As far as I am aware all the litter siblings I am in contact with or hear about are in the same good health.
    They were hipscored nearly 18 months ago, they are soon to be eye tested and will be having VWD/Addisons tests as well. Although I am not aware of any problems with the elbows, as it is now a requirement in all dogs going for hip scores, I will (when in funds) have them elbow scored
  9. dsmem3429

dsmem3429

I have one NIS registered spayed bitch.

She was 4 this month.

No health problems so far.

(Just missing a front tooth where she banged it on the marble coffee table:roll: )

Her breeder is no longer NIS reg, expelled for bad breeding practices. Still breeding but calling them a different inuit.
  10. zero

zero New Member

Two NI

One is over 4yrs old - one will be coming up to 4 in a couple few months.

one male
    one female

zero health problems to date.

I belong to no one [NIS / TIDA]
    I'm not a member - but both are registered with the NIS.

Forgot to say the girl is speyed and the boy is intact [with bits where they should be]
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  11. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    2 NIS Registered, no health Issues, ages 3 years and the other 10 months:grin:

1 TIDA Regsitered, no health issues, age 14 mths:grin:
  12. Tania

Tania New Member

Name:
    Tania
    undescended testicle issue in my dogs - no pups had it including males. 2 boys now snipped, girls as soon as possible.
  13. Animal

Animal New Member

Name:
    Shel
    Three NI

One is 5yrs old
    One is 2 years old
    One is 1 year old

Two male
    one female

One male had a mild infantile heart murmur which resolved itself as the pup matured (been tested and given the all clear by a vet)

Other than that, zero health problems to date.

Both males are registered with the NIS, the female isn't registered with any breed club.
  14. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    I have 2 NI.. a spayed bitch who is 2 1/2 years old.. no health problems to date.. she was registered with the NIS and is registered with TIDA. My castrated male is 18 months old he was cryptorchid, apart from that no other health problems to date.. he is TIDA registered.
  15. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

One male Utonagan, almost four years of age, with diagnosed idiopathic epilepsy, a condition which is in other dogs in his lines.

Registered with The Utonagan Assocation because I felt this is the only group that feel the same way as I do about health issues and health testing - especially with regard to breeding (or not!) - and in-breeding.

I am not a breeder, nor do I intend to breed.
  16. ElaiRs

ElaiRs New Member

I have 1 male NI. 7 years old. No known health problems. Neutered at 18 months old.

He was most likely registered with the NIS as a puppy.
  17. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    I have 4 TIDA reg NI's, 3 girls one aged 3yrs one aged 17 months the other 5 months and my boy aged 3yrs.

My 3yr old girl is a carrier of idiopathic epilepsy and is due to be spayed. The others are all fine so far.
  18. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    great thread, so nice to see people coming forward and talking about these dogs,
  19. Dragan

Dragan New Member

Name:
    Dragan
    1 BI
    i think she is registered BIDC .
    no health problems.
    4 months old
  20. Heidi1

Heidi1 New Member

Name:
    Jill
    Our male is 2 years old and no health problems to date.
  21. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    1 bitch 5 months old with no health problems, she will be hip/elbow scored when old enough. She is reg with the NIS.

Both monther and father had good hips and i have also meet the grandam and grandsire both in good health. DNA samples are being sent to help with research via the NIS.