NI/Ute Health Problems Health

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Jo_W, Aug 26, 2008.

1. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    Forgot to add - DNA swab tests being submitted here too.

Everyone at the Skipton show was given a kit to submit samples to the Animal Health Trust for Canine Genetic Research.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    I'm doing that with mine too.
  4. zero

zero New Member

Hey that's really good!
  5. zero

zero New Member

Factual threads are good!
  6. Tania

Tania New Member

Name:
    Tania
    I'm doing my 4 as well.... somehow
  7. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    LOL, i know we have these 4 puny looking brushes and need to get samples from her cheek. I'm still thinking how the hell am i going to get that in and out in one piece?
  8. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    Mine have been DNA swabbed too.
  9. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    the KC sent out 4 kits to me a few years ago {not sure if they only sent them out to dogs that had taken part in the bva health tests such as hips/elbows?} but they survived the rotties so you should be ok, ;-)
  10. Tania

Tania New Member

Name:
    Tania
    I was more worried that it says for each swab you have to roll it at least 20 times inside the cheek. That's 80 times per dog, not sure how long they'll put up with me rolling swabs around their cheeks, lol. Will have to get them just after a walk when they're knackered!
  11. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna

Credit where it is due guys 8)
  12. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona

Tania, you have me confused here? you dont need to swab that much lol
  13. Tania

Tania New Member

Name:
    Tania
    On my instructions, it is actually 40 times!

Quote:

Hold the dog's head firmly and roll the swab on the inside of the dog's cheek at least 20 times on each side of the mouth, ensuring the brush is moved across the entire cheek surface.
  14. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    Oh yeah gotta do that aswell ( the swab thingy ) x
  15. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Well done!!! :023:
  16. phillipa

phillipa New Member

Name:
    phillipa
    I have 2 full Northern Inuit both are NIS registered both hip scored no health problems that i am aware of and will be doing the DNA swab tests as well :grin:
  17. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    Hi Tania, this may help when collecting swabs, I did think rotating the swab 40 times a bit much, I couldnt remember it being that difficult the last time I did it,

HTH x

http://www.vetdnacenter.com/canine-collection.html
  18. katie1630

katie1630 New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I have a 9 month old Inuit registered with TIDA who has no health problems so far and I'm not expecting any. I haven't had him hip scored as A) He's castrated and so not being bred from and B) I've just paid £4000 for a hip replacement for my lab and just found out his other hip has gone too so I am a bit skint at the minute!
    I would be interested in the DNA swabbing if anyone could give me any advice on it please?
  19. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo
    Thank you everyone who has replied.

I also have a male NI who is 7 months old and registered with the NIS and we have had no health problems to date.

I also keep in regular contact with his breeder and there have been no health issues within the litter, so that accounts for a further 6 NIS registered NI's.

So the totals are as follows:

29 NIS registered NI's - 1 who had an infantile heart murmur and 1 with undescended testicle.

8 TIDA registered NI - 1 cryptorchid, 1 idiopathic epilepsy carrier.

2 BIDC registered BI - No health issues to date

1 TUA registered Utonagan - Idiopathic epilepsy sufferer.

5 Not stated or not registered (1 NI x, 2 Ute, 1 NI) - No health issues to date

Total of 45 dogs.

If anyone else would like to add their details, it would be appreciated. Thanks
  20. looby-loo

looby-loo New Member

OK 1 non Registered NI dog 3 years old. No health problems
    3 NIS registered Bitches. 1 2nahalf year old above average hip score. an uneven 25. 2 ten month old bitches. No known health problems.
  21. Kristina

Kristina New Member

Name:
    Kris
    I have 2 NIS registered NI's. One is a 2.5 yr old bitch no known health problems but has not been hip scored yet and is spayed. Did have a reaction to internal stitches when she was spayed though.
    One 5 month old male. No known health problems although waiting on one testicle to drop atm.