NI/Ute Health Problems Health

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Jo_W, Aug 26, 2008.

1. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Oh Wolfie i am so so sorry to hear this :cry:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    OOPS!! sorry my apologies, it was Werewolf. All these Wolves got me confused! Sorry Wolfie.
  4. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Can anybody tell me if its possible to buy a NI with a 5 generation pedigree that does not include a Mahlek dog?
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Not a chance on this earth! although im sure one could be made for you! ;)
  6. batmandy

batmandy New Member

Name:
    Mandy
    Now now Dawn keep it clean:lol:
  7. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Ok that was pretty funny :lol:
  8. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    LMAO :lol:
  9. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:
  10. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd
    This topic has me totally confused to be honest I dont know who is telling the truth and who isnt? one thing that is playing on my mind though and is slightly off topic, and will possibly be deleted, who are you to contact if say for instance a NI/Ute/TAM or whatever turns up in a rescue center? it seems as though breeding is very indicscriminate, and I would be concerned if say for instance one of these dogs turns up at the rescue center I work at, I would "normally "contact the breed rescue, but I would be hesitant to do so if I thought I was possibly going to pass a dog over to someone that "may" go and breed from it?

sorry for being off topic for this but it is important.

Mo
  11. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    Dawn it's not that werewolf doesn't want people to know why her dog died. Its just that she obviously doesn't want to post on a public forum what is obviously so upsetting to talk about.

I had a dog die several years ago and can only imagine the hurt when your dogs keeps being brought up on the internet.

Werewolf is having computer problems at the moment and has asked me to reply on her behalf.

Dawn, how does the old Elvis song go....'

'What was it called ? Suspicious Minds?'

I will be back xxxxxxx
  12. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    You are not the only one to think like this Mo..

The rescue near me won't touch any of them with a bargepole either..and will rehome themselves after neutering/spaying
  13. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Yes it is very important. If i were you i would ensure that whoever was taking the dog on came in & paid for the castration / spey & it was done whilst the dog is in your care before handing it over. Its the only way you'd ever know for sure with these dogs.
  14. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch

As `type` is so vague I would neuter then adopt out without contacting any of them quite frankly, [ the way things are at the moment at least ], as I have seen far too many posts/comments all over the place of rescue/rehome dogs of this type being sold on under the false guise of `rescue` when they are certainly used for breeding, at least one under which there is a serious question mark that a breeding contract went with a dog who was passed through various homes in a very short space of time during which he was used at stud :091:
    That one was destroyed for aggression which may or may not have had a medical condition as the cause of the aggression, [ the claim was made but proof of diagnosis has not been provided as yet ].

Had that dog been snipped and properly rehomed as a rescue dog and all the criteria met as per ethical rescue formula, that dog may well have not ended up dead, [ health issue notwithstanding of course ].

Every dog going through rescue/rehome should be neutered, end of, and if there is not enough trust toward any - that`s any - particular breed rescue then they should not be approached at all.

I am not aware of any of the breeds in question having a specific properly organised rescue centre anyway, it all seems to be loosely done on that score between various contacts within this or that breed rather than a dedicated rescue organisation for them but I`m open to correction on that of course. Contacting breed orgs for any possible information on an individual dog is another matter but either way I would`nt let any out with procreation ability.
  15. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    s I said, its up to her, nobody else. People will always have "suspicious minds" its human nature. I lost a dog, never mentioned it on here, didnt feel I needed nor wanted to.
  16. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

TUA have a dedicated re-homng person. I think most clubs do? However funds are often scarce so it might often mean trying to find a foster and/or permanent home for a dog, rather than taking it into rescue kennels.
  17. batmandy

batmandy New Member

Name:
    Mandy
    I know rescue centre are meant to castrate or spey, and i agree with this 100%.
    BUT 10years ago my neighbour got their dog from Battersea and he wasn`t castrated they were given a voucher to have him done, but didn`t have to get back to Battersea and prove he had been. I have to say i was shocked as i thought it was their policy to castrate or spey
    mandy
  18. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd
    Not all rescues have the funding to spey neuter, and will give a discounted voucher for a dog to be returned for this, also not all rescues have the facilities to staff during the night to keep an eye on dogs that have been done before they are adopted out. where I work there can be anything up to 500 dogs on site in any one week to neuter all of them at this moment in time is nigh on in possible, as maybe 20 dogs a day are rehomed and 30 dogs a day are being brought in. so we offer a very reduced cost neutering service to owners, during certain hours, the other hours the vets are on site they are dealing with other health issues the dogs on site may have. if I had my own way and we had the funding I would personally have every dog spayed/neutered.

Mo
  19. ElaiRs

ElaiRs New Member

Excellent post Mo :grin:

I would not contact the breed rescue until after the dog is neutered. All rescue centre's that I know have a spay/neuter policy. They only go out to a new home once the dog has been neutered unless health or age (puppy) prevents them from doing so. The pup or sick dog is then sent out under contract to be neutered once health improves or pup is old enough.

I know rescue centre's often struggle for funds but I would still have the NI/Ute etc. neutered and then pass the cost onto the breed club before they can take the dog. If they dont want to pay it then they dont get the dog :grin:
  20. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    There's a big difference between a rescue and a rehome. It's important not to get the two confused I think.
  21. batmandy

batmandy New Member

Name:
    Mandy
    Ok i stand corrected thanks for that it was like i say 10years age

Mandy