NI/Ute Health Problems Health

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Jo_W, Aug 26, 2008.

1. zero

zero New Member

I know it's a serious matter but, :lol:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    Its not something I have ever had a problem with so just wondered, How much time does the vet give the testicle to drop before he sees it as a poss problem?
  4. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    I was told to wait till 10 months with Inka, he had 1 drop the other was stuck in the canal ouch !
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    One thing I do notice with NI hip scores is that most of them are uneven.
  6. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    poor boy,, Thanks for that, Im guessing he had them removed after the ten months were up? Or did mr Inka's drop before that?
  7. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    Is there not quite a high % of breeding done from uneven dogs thus,, uneven offspring?
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Probably yes Shona, realistically though, hips shouldnt be uneven.
  9. Kristina

Kristina New Member

Name:
    Kris
    lol Mys its not that serious.Well not like an illness anyway! My vet says he could drop it anytime up to 18 months as the breed are slow to mature. But he recommends if by 18 months it hasnt come down i should definitely have him neutered. It certainly doesnt bother the little fat tart to have his balls checked over by the vet or anyone else who will give him a fondle!!! x
  10. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    LOL, i saw this as Skipton! He was right on his back for anyone to have a look and an feel!!!!

Ela is still upset he was such a man tart to all the other girls . . :001:
  11. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo
    I have spoken to another friend today, who has a NI and she can account for a further 7 NI's who are all healthy although one has a high hip score, so the running total now is as follows:

42 NIS registered NI's - 1 who had an infantile heart murmur, 1 with undescended testicle, 1 high hip score and 1 uneven above average hip score (25), 1 pup waiting for testicle to drop

8 TIDA registered NI - 1 cryptorchid, 1 idiopathic epilepsy carrier.

2 BIDC registered BI - No health issues to date

1 TUA registered Utonagan - Idiopathic epilepsy sufferer.

5 Not stated or not registered (1 NI x, 2 Ute, 1 NI) - No health issues to date

Total of 58 dogs
  12. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

A retained testicle (unilateral cryptorchidism) can lead to a greater risk of testicular cancer.

I read that a dog with a retained testicle is 13 times more likely to develop tumours, which together with an increase in female hormones, can affect blood cell production. Apparently the tumours can spread around the body too.

Having both removed if it doesn't drop seems to result in a normal lifespan for the cryptorchid dog. :grin:
  13. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    This is why we had Noah castrated at 10 months old.
  14. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    To avoid the effects of castration, i.e probable weight gain, coat changes, possible temperament changes (particularly in timid dogs) you can just have the retained testicle removed. the dog will then remain exactly the same as he was. He will however still be fertile, and as an inherited condition should not be bred from.
  15. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Dawn, I have read that both should be removed ... ?:?
  16. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    problem is though everything starts tightening up around 12 months so the surgery is more evasive...inka was done at 11 months shona...
  17. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    thanks Elaine, ;-)
  18. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    They dont have to be LS, there is absolutely no reason why the normal one cannot be left, and thus avoiding all associated issues.

I expect the Vets would WANT to remove both as thats what they do.;-)
  19. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Ok Here are mine:

Angel - 3 1/2 year old male, no known health problems, testicles descended early, hip score 5:5, eye tested.

Misty - 3 year old female, no known health problems, late first season, hip score 5:4, eye tested.

Dita - 1 year old female, no known health problems, eye teste, due to be hip scored in the next few months.

All 3 are NIS registered.
  20. chaosjoey

chaosjoey New Member

Name:
    Nicola
    One more to add!!

We have Chaos who is 2 at the beginning of October. She is registered with both NIS and TIDA, has no known health problems although was late coming into her first season.
  21. casandra

casandra New Member

heres mine
    3 --2 reg with tida and NIS 1 with Tida.
    I --epilepsy, blood clotting disorder, retained testicle. grass allergy
    1 -- hip diplacia in right hip, retained testicle
    1 --still a puppy --no health probs