NI/Ute Health Problems Health

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Jo_W, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

I'm really not bothered Jo.

My dog's health issues are well documented on this forum so it is no big deal - I wouldn't have responded if it were. I just wanted to know what purpose you had in mind. That's all.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Im sorry Doe, you bred all yours to sell, not much more to say there then!
  4. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    As with practically all NI`s that were born prior to Oct 2006 they were initially registered with the NIS... they were reregistered with TIDA after the association was created. As was my Freya and ChaosJoeys Chaos.
  5. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo
    LS, I'm purely the type of person who likes facts rather than heresay. There are so many accusations thrown at the NI about ill health but I personally would like to see it backed up with evidence and you can't get better than asking the people who actually own the dogs, so that was my purpose. I don't particularly have an allegiance to one side over the other, I'm just a NI owner who would like to get an unbiased view of the health of NI's.

To me it seemed logical that if other groups have added other breeds into their NI's after the split and have then started to have health problems then it could be that those problems have occured due to the additional lines. Hence why I have asked about who they are registered with.

As I said in my op, I'm not looking to get lynched or involved in any arguments and I certainly do not intend to gets involved in the politics of it all.

I would just like some answers but if people don't want to give the information, then thats fine.
  6. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Just a thought but whilst doing your research have you looked into dogs/pups that have died and lifespans.
  7. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    Contrary to popular NIS belief... No TIDA dogs have been cross bred to date and most dogs that have come from stock that have shown hereditary disease were NIS bred & registered. There would be very few, if any solely TIDA bred & registered dogs having pups at the minute as they would only be 20 odd months old. (But remember their parents were still NIS dogs)
  8. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    personally speaking i`ve never met an NI older than 7.
  9. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo
    kcjack, no I have not but that doesn't mean I won't at a later point.
  10. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Questions are always good Jo - and good for you for trying to find answers.

I would just point out the points I did before - there are not very many Utonagan owners or breeders that are members on here so it might not be representative. Also, where membership of a society/club is concerned - people change alliegance all the time. For instance, I was never a member of a club until recently and my dog is nearly 4. Also this is a new Association and my reasons for registering my dog were because of the importance they place upon health issues. Had you asked me this time last year, I would not have been a member of anything.

That's all I was trying to say. :grin:
  11. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo
    LS, maybe we got off to a bad start, thats the problem with forums, it's easy to mis-interpret someones meaning.

I am genuinely asking as a NI owner not a NIS member and hope to get answers that will give a good indication of the health of the NI's. I like hard facts not he said, she said theories, if that makes sense lol.
  12. Karma

Karma New Member

Name:
    Ani
    Two girls [4 yrs, 18 months] one boy [6.5 yrs], all NIS registered, no health problems.
  13. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

It makes perfect sense Jo, hard facts etc., and I hope you get some answers. :mrgreen:
  14. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo
    Thank you, so do I :grin:

The running total so far, is as follows:

50 NIS registered NI's - 1 who had an infantile heart murmur, 1 with undescended testicle, 1 high hip score and 1 uneven above average hip score (25), 1 pup waiting for testicle to drop, 1 with seasonal tummy rash

9 TIDA registered NI - 1 cryptorchid, 1 idiopathic epilepsy carrier.

2 BIDC registered BI - No health issues to date

1 TUA registered Utonagan - Idiopathic epilepsy sufferer.

3 TIDA/NIS registered NI’s – 1 with epilepsy, a blood clotting disorder, retained testicle, grass allergy and 1 with HD to right hip and retained testicle

5 Not stated or not registered (1 NI x, 2 Ute, 1 NI) - No health issues to date

Total of 70 dogs.

Thank you to everyone who has replied, it's appreciated. Anyone else?
  15. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Problem is I dont think the real facts are out there so wont be accurate representation.
  16. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo
    Kcjack, that may be your opinion but that is just what it is 'your opinion'.

I do not see why any normal dog owner would feel the need to post on this thread and not give an accurate description of their dogs health.

Would you like to state how Kato's health is? Obviously, I would never insist that you do, it is purely your choice.
  17. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Kato is fine apart from going to vets as burnt skin of one of his nuts playing on concrete.

The normal dog owner maybe not but the breeders with the dogs then no may not give accurate description.
  18. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo
    As the breeders do not keep most of their puppies much past the age of 8 weeks, it will be the owners who are better positioned to answer such questions, do you not think?

Oh poor Kato, that sounds painful bless him.
  19. casandra

casandra New Member

peole I dont mind posting but I also dont want to start another war. I just thought the more info you got the better.
    The NIs I own were all bred by NI breeders.
    Two of which left the NIS--hence dual registration
    the blood clotting was tested for and came back negative von willabrands
    there are about 7 diff types of clotting disorders and dont know which he had.
  20. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo
    Carol, as I have stated several times, I'm not looking to start any arguments. I would like genuine, honest information regardless of which side it comes from.

If people have information regarding the health of their NI's but don't want to post it on the forum, I am happy to receive any info by PM (now that I can), on the understanding that I will then post the content into the thread but not name the person.
  21. S23Doe

S23Doe New Member

Name:
    Doe
    I'm sorry Dawn but that is a dam right lie...........so get your facts right ..........