Nipping!!! Questions

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by Beano, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Beano

Beano New Member

Name:
    Lyndon

Nipping!!!

How can we stop the continual nipping ??? She goes into a frenzy and just leaps at you even after a training session..we try to just stand up and ignore her which works sometimes ..she's worse with my wife she sees her hands and arms as a bonio??? Any help or advice please...she's well stimulated I think but she loves a nip but never with children so far she's perfect around young children just seems to be us ???
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Rugby1983 likes this.
    If it is any consolation she will stop nipping - most young puppies are nippers but they usually grow out of it.

Do you have anywhere you can put her for a time out so she can calm down when she goes into a frenzy? It sounds to me that for some reason she gets over-excited, and the only way she can "let out" the excitement is by leaping up and nipping. Sometimes too much training can cause excitement and maybe she is over-tired.
  4. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Ouch and it does bring back memories of when Yoji was a pup, when he did it we forced a toy into his mouth and continually repeated “ get a toy, get a toy “ we did it all the time and eventually after a few months we were able to use the voice command “ get a toy “ and he shuffled of to his toy box and then brought it to us and we fussed him. We never ever took the soft toy off him, it’s his and even when people visited we instructed them not to attempt to take his “ toy “ it was to serve a purpose.
    Now at 20 months old when he wants to say “ hello “ or wants a fuss we don’t have to say anything anymore he just goes and gets his “ toy “
    It worked brilliantly for us, give it a try
    Unfortunately for you with a Border Collie isn’t their natural instinct to “ herd “ which can include animals, adults & children. Herding can also come in the form of nipping ankles, something to watch for if the children are playing outside
    Let us know how that goes & remember they go through many phases and usually each phase passes, it won’t be forever !
    Philippa
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka, CaroleC and Chris B like this.
  6. Beano

Beano New Member

Name:
    Lyndon
    Thanks so much for the reply we've had a cocker and a yorkie in the past and neither did as much nipping as our little collie I know it will stop but it's just finding what works..she could get over tired I just don't think she wants to miss anything..she's absolutely a beautiful pup though as they all are I'm sure
  7. Beano

Beano New Member

Name:
    Lyndon
    Hi there thanks for the reply I'm getting lots of different ways to try to stop this I'm feeling quite good about it ..we've had a cocker and a yorkie previous and they didn't nip as much but we shall press on
  8. Beano

Beano New Member

Name:
    Lyndon
    Excellent thanks alot for this..lots of help there we shall try it and hopefully it gets better looking forward to less nipping
  9. Donna Robertson

Donna Robertson New Member

Name:
    Donna Robertson
  10. Donna Robertson

Donna Robertson New Member

Name:
    Donna Robertson
    Hi My border collie Loki is approaching 12 weeks old and he gets very excited and starts pulling at our clothes and shoes. Have you come across this.

Any commands you can think of to stop nipping?
  11. Beano

Beano New Member

Name:
    Lyndon
    Hi there we have same probs ..mine is 13 weeks now ..we get crazy moments of nipping pulling clothes shoes and sometimes she kinda goes into a frenzy with it..at first we just didn't know as we had a cocker and yorkie before her and didn't have as much pulling and nipping with them..we now distract her with a toy or chew when she starts we try not to shout and pull now as I think that leads to more excitement..so we either try that or stand up or stand still and turn away ..or get up and walk out for a minute if you're on your own with her so she loses her play pal for a moment then come back in and get on with what u were doing or if all fails a time out in there crate if u have one ..main thing is perseverance everyone says it gets better! They are such beautiful dogs don t u think? Good luck let's keep in touch on here if u find something that works let us know
  12. Beano

Beano New Member

Name:
    Lyndon
    Also with the pulling clothes I stop still and firmly and calmly say off ! Or ouch ! When she nips ?