NIS and prong collars General Chat

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by kcjack, Oct 22, 2008.

1. suzy1b

suzy1b New Member

Name:
    suzy
    Some NI owners may choose to use collars some owners of other breeds may choose to use collars, I feel its wrong to say NID are not suitable as family pets beacause of some owners choosing a training method.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    having not read the post on the other forum.. can anyone shed some light on to the reasons for use of them,.. eg is JK saying use them for pulling or something else?
  4. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    We dont all have perfect Nis like yours and your mums suzy, who bred yours?
  5. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Dogs pull, is that so terrible, they naturally walk faster than humans usually at a trot, does that mean they should be punished for doing something that comes naturally ? Would you punish a child for walking too slowly because it can't keep up with you?

By all means teach a dog to walk at your side but don't punish it for natural behaviour :x .

And before anyone asks no I haven't been shown how to use a pronged collar, if it comes to that no one has shown me how to use a whip either or to kick with my boot , the principle behind using any of these methods is the same ,if an animal doesn't understand that what is required of it /follows its instincts/doesn't submit to the will of a human use force to make it comply.

Some people just don't deserve to have a dog :-(
  6. suzy1b

suzy1b New Member

Name:
    suzy
    Does JK say she uses them herself or that she knows where they can be obtained? I havent read the other forum thread either.
  7. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Suzy you are a troll and a liar if you havent got the balls to speak as who you really are then no one respects anything you say.

And cant really see JK taking all her 14 plus dogs for a stroll.
  8. suzy1b

suzy1b New Member

Name:
    suzy
    Good post, not sure about not deserving to have adog though, I have never seen one being used ,if its like the pic shown earlier then fair play to your comment.
  9. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    In the position she is in (shouldnt be in) she should not be promoting such things, disgraceful conduct.
  10. monosyllabic

monosyllabic New Member

Name:
    Ben
    I hate prong collars I think you might aswell just hit your dog when it pulls because it's probably nicer to them and causes less pain. (I am not saying hit your dog btw) Because thats all they do. you pull= I cause you pain.
    I don't agree with the ecollar part though my friends dog is alive because of an ecollar.
  11. suzy1b

suzy1b New Member

Name:
    suzy
    How juvenile and rude - I just wanted to see how long untill you reverted to type.... not long eh!
  12. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Least I am not a coward, you have all these wonderful Nis as does your mother and so healthy and well behaved yet cant name who bred them, go stick a prong collar on see if it shocks you into remembering.
  13. suzy1b

suzy1b New Member

Name:
    suzy
    Not a coward just enjoying you showing yourself up... bye for now off to play with my wonderful ni's
  14. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    what i mean is if a prong Collar is a Recommended piece of equipment for walking a NI then these dogs are not easy. Theres so many ways of making a dog stop pulling if Training, a head collar or a non pull harness dont work, are these dogs too uncontrollable ? my own dogs pull but can easily be stopped by abit of basic bit of training or a head collar/harness. can NI be trained by these methods? if so why do they seem to recommend a prong?
    I REALLY like the look of these dogs & am a fan of them, but this is abit worrying
  15. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    To be fair I'm really not sure why anyone would recommend a prong collar unless they were being paid a dump truck of money to endorse them or were selling them on commission.

I have looked at training sites that explain all the wonderful things a prong collar can do if correctly fitted and used responsibly... I just can't can't see how anyone could look at the collar and see anything other than a piece of barbed wire wrapped around the dog's neck.

I know I am being clearly biased and I really rarely take a stand like this (don't know what's got in to me actually, too much coffee)? But please... Surely no dog lover could with a clear conscience put one of these on their dog and pull it tight.

Put prong collar on the google image search and see all the happy dobes, shepherds and rotties with the collars on, then imagine yanking the slip chain... Could you do it? Really?

I couldn't.
  16. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Totally agree....
  17. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    the really sad thing in it all is.. I have delt with all of the above breeds... some really hard/difficult dogs.. and had great success in all of them without the use of prongs..
    the diff may be it takes a bit longer... to me everyone is looking for a quick fix that uses these.. or they are inconsistant in there training methods
  18. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Excellent post - totally agree!
  19. boris

boris New Member

Name:
    Ian
    Barbed wire is pointed, prong collars have blunt tips.

As regards "yanking the slip chain", a prong collar is like a half-choke, you choose whether to use the dead ring or the live ring. In the case of the dead ring pulling the lead doesn't tighten the collar, obviously the dog feels the upwards pressure on the collar, if you use the live ring then the collar will tighten but not by much.

Providing a prong collar is used correctly I believe it is safer for the dog than a full choke, however this wasn't my view until I saw them being used in the flesh, I used to take the view that they were barbaric when I too based my opinion on photo's on the 'web.

Ian
  20. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    some dogs just dont deserve to have their spokespeople
  21. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    have you had to use them on your rottwieler