NIS and prong collars General Chat

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by kcjack, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Lene

Lene New Member

Name:
    Lene
    Uhmm... I have never tried a prong collar, but I know my father used them in the 60's.. Reading up on them it seems you can cause more damage with a slip collar than a prong collar... and I do believe that is true, in the wrong hands...

I also think the use of ANY collar which works on the dog at the time, would be beneficial... The less stress the dog is going through to get the message, the better.

Prong collars are illegal in Queensland, Australia, so obviously I won't be using one... Choke chains you can buy anywhere, from petshops to supermarkets... I've even seen them in petrol stations.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. elaineb

elaineb New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    I have heard of them and would never use one. I think most peeps here have heard of a prong collar,after all we are all dog lovers, that's why we don't advocate them!
  4. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

Name:
    John
    If you read the posts in this section you will see there are many people that know very little of these collars. As you say; "I have heard of them and would never use one" What are you basing your views or opinions on if you have no first hand experience with the collar? As many have heard of them most are opposed because of the appearance of the collar or lack of knowledge of how to use one. I would like to say, We are all dog lovers, that's why we are on this site. To insinuate that the level of ones love of a dog is dependant on the type of collar one uses is without merit.
  5. mse2ponder

mse2ponder New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    What makes them work, when other methods have failed? How do they not hurt the dog, but cause it to comply? I have seen them used, along with e-collars, so am I allowed an opinion on the matter?
  6. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
  7. red collar

red collar New Member

Name:
    red collar
    pah! that's just a lil' baby thread only 2 pages long ..... amateurs, couldn't stand the pace :mrgreen:
  8. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

Name:
    John
    Read the post on page 9 of this thread, (post #89) by Boris. There is an article titled The Prong Collar Revisted. This article says it better and explains more in detail.