NI's/Utes and Gaurding. Behaviour

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by kyektulu, Mar 23, 2007.

1. jeaniebeck

jeaniebeck New Member

Name:
    becky
    I would agree as a rule most ni would not guard u at all. I think mani would look to me for protection. Saying that karma differs from most ni in that respect she is very loyal and quite protective. She adores my son ben and has barked once at my dad (who she adores) for play fighting with him as she didn't realise it was a game. It wasn't a nasty bark but don't think anyone would like to put her to the test in that situation.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Hmmmm. In my case my awnser would have to be yes & no.

Angel is a real wimp, he barks when people come to the house but only out of over excitement. When were out hes a big wuss, if were out after dark every lil noise worries him. When it comes to his own territory though I wouldn't be so sure.

We never use our back entrance ever so he knows its not normal for people to come that way, one day I got locked out & decided I'd try get over the back gate, Angel was in the yard & as soon as the gate rattled he started growling even with me talking to him so he knew it was me he but really wasn't happy, I couldn't get up high enough for him to see me but did make me wonder what would happen if a stranger ever did try to get over the back.

Misty is also a very people person but has a very special bond with my 3 yr old son & where hes concearned if push came to shove I actually do believe that yes she would protect him. Although shes never showed even the slightest sign of aggression ever, if people approach Logan too fast or make any sudden movements near him she litereally jumps in front of him putting herself between him & whoever, as if to say don't touch hes mine. If we go out in public with Misty & Logan you can't take him out of her site or she screams like shes been stabbed, practically pulling you off your feet to get to him & if we stop to speak to people she always tries to position herself in a way that people can't get to close to him, so in his case I think perhaps she would.
  4. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Just to add, without actually being put into that situation though, there really would be now way of knowing for sure one way or the other & its not particually something I'd be prepared to test.
  5. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    Mine is much too friendly to guard, but as people (know alls) round where we live think that mine is either a white gsd or a wolf dog I let them carry on thinking that.
  6. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Hal's a wolfey looking cross - he has the ute/ni look - and would be more likely to liberally the goose an attacker (especially if it were blonde and female) than anything, but I know that if I were attacked or threatened, or indeed anyone from my family, he would protect us. What form that protection would take, I am not sure, but I have seen him au naturel as it were, and it is definitely a case of dog rough in tooth and claw. His snarl would win a gold medal in the Snarling Olympics, and although I know is all balls and no trousers, it doesn't half look the biz!
  7. terrysibe

terrysibe New Member

Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand why people would want a dog to be protective when they have bred husky into it, maybe they should have put greenland etc into it if they want a cross that has a protective side to it
    Just my thoughts
    Terry
  8. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    not wanting to get into an argument, but we dont consider our N.I's to be crosses, back to the subject of the thread, all my dogs bark at complete strangers, moon does it while hiding behind me and the others are thinking,, mmmmm if you scratch my chest or rub my tummy some more, you can come in and take anything you like, i'll even come with you, huh, def no loyalty with my lot:grin:
  9. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    We're not saying we want our NI's to be protective. In fact it is often over emphasized how un-guarding/un-protective NI's are. This is what has been aimed for. Its what makes them what they are.

Kylie was just asking that given how un-guarding/protective many people claim NI to be, if any of us NI/Ute owners actually think that in a worse case scenario whether we think our dogs would stick to be what appears to be true to their nature (big wimps) or whether given such their extreamly loyal nature's they would actually protect us.

It is a hyperthetical question. If I wanted a guarding breed I sure as hell wouldn't have opted for an NI.
  10. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Hi Terry

I think the point is that the NI wasn't bred to be a protective dog at all - this wasn't one of the ideals. The OP was asking hypothetically. Also I guess most of us would like to hope our dogs would protect us (eg Lassie :lol: ) if it came to it ...
  11. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    I chose an NI because they are non aggressive, (as I have been bitten by various other breeds). If I wanted a guard dog I would have chosen a different breed, possibly another english bt or GSD, I wanted a family pet dog so I chose an NI. The wolfy looks may put people off (hopefully), if I wanted a sibe or mal or greenland dog, then I would have chosen one instead. My neighbour has recently had his house broken into and his stuff stolen while his 2 staffies were inside, so they seem to be non guarding as well.
  12. juliekelham

juliekelham

Name:
    julie
    i dont think anybody has brought northern inuits as gaurd dogs,if they did i think they would be very disapointed