NI's Why Not? Discussions

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Katie Beardy, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Katie Beardy

Katie Beardy New Member

Name:
    Ryann

NI's Why Not?

Hi everyone
    I know this seems to be a touchy subject with a few of the dogsey people...but....since meeting a Northern inuit at the discover dogs earlier in the year...and....reading through lots and lots of threads on here about them, i still find myself very attracted to them, could you all tell me WHY you personally wouldn't have one
    thanks in advance
    Ryann
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    You cannot possibly know if what you are getting is what yo have got! Too many lies from breeders and breeding from unhealth tested stock, and even when they are tested and come back with bad results, the ignore them and breed anyway.
  4. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ....... oh DONT DO IT!!!!!

read thru a couple more of the threads on here

....are u reading them? and u still want one :?

and they are not a breed :roll: im actually annoyed that they were at dd :-(
  5. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    from another thread posted by another ni owner ;-)...

I tend to tell people the worst about my dogs first and also the potential health concerns. I also tell them the history is dubious and that they'd be far better going for a recognised, long established breed from a well recommended breeder. As much as I love them I'm not blinkered.
  6. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Never saw them at dd ... Did not have a booth..
    Could have been in one of the shows...
    Call my a cynic but when i see new members ask these kind of questions i wonder if they are for real or not ...
  7. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    i too would say don`t do it.. at least wait a few more years and judge if anything is being bred at that time with less health problems and more conformity
  8. Kalasin

Kalasin New Member

Name:
    Kalasin
    Aren't they enough NI bashing thread that you could go through without creating another one.

It makes me feel very ostracised as an NI owner seeing threads like this when I really do try my hardest to be a nice member here on Dogsey where a lot of NI owners have failed because they become...let's say over-passionate defending their breed.

If you're looking at the breed, do your research properly. Meet them for yourself and spend as much time with them as you possibly can. Read the actual reports and not the hearsay. Yes there are problems, the biggest being HD. Yes there have been cases of epilepsy and unknown deaths. Yes there is a problem with retained testicles but you really do have to research them properly and meet as many from /different lines/ as you can before joining the ranks of the displeased.
  9. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ...i think im with murf.. possibly a troll or trouble maker ;-)
  10. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    My experiences with them have been enough to make me want to steer clear.

Admittedly, (in my line of work) I do tend to see the worst.

I think you have highlighted straight away what many people get cross about.

These are not a breed of dog - they are a type.
    Because there have been SO many arguments within the people who breed these dogs, there are now 5 (?) types of what basically started as someone wanting to breed a dog that looked like a wolf, but not really going into it properly.

I remain cautiously optimistic about the OP -in the hope they are genuinely interested.

ETA - Although having re-read - the OP asks why you would not have one...surely if you were interested you would ask why people had one?
  11. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Im assuming its the OP thats directed at?

Sorry, you do not own a "breed" the NI is a crossbreed and nothing more.

A look at the other threads on here will show you that perhaps people have, been lied to (whats new) bought a dog, suffered the heartache..

Hearsay, are you serious? Can you PLEASE PLEASE tell us the hearsay bits.

Id like also for you to expand on "lines." Cause there isnt any, only the original lied about one with all the name changes and no knowledge of any dogs, the same dogs that were wolf hybrids when it was a good idea, but became the NI when it wasnt! How can you have new lines when no new dogs have been introduced?
  12. Kalasin

Kalasin New Member

Name:
    Kalasin
    That's okay...I can agree they are a type. I'm not that fussed to be honest about calling them a breed or whatever. If I have to call them a type then so be it. In fact, you may have noticed in most of my posts I refer to them as 'breed or type' to appease whomever, but I forgot this time so there you go.

If people have been 'lied to' then they haven't done their research properly or haven't gone to the right people.

By lines I more mean breeders, affixes, whatever. As you mention they are a 'type' and you'll notice that some breeders are more 'typey' than others.

The 'hearsay' is everyone trying to push up the prevalence of the HD or epilepsy or whatever, what is needed are the actual health reports or even the BVA reports to show the true prevalence and not what everyone assumes it may or may not be. Show me the facts across the board and I'll lay my hands down.
  13. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    The same person who had 2 convictions for animal cruelty, its beggers belief that anyone claiming to be a dog/animal lover would want anything to do with that person, never mind actually support them.

I'm hardly a shining example of morality, but there are things that not even I would do, and abusing innocent animals is one of those things...along with supporting someone who has/does.

I think I'm with murf and Layla though, the op is prob a troll.
  14. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Did you SEE the VWD results for the pups you bought and their parents?
  15. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    Is there as much controversy surrounding the Utonagon?
  16. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    I would take on a rescue one as I would take on any rescue with unknown parentage.............but I would rather stick pins in my eyes that line JK pockets:mrgreen:
  17. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Dont worry she is doing that very well herself, Im told has 2 litters at the moment.:shock: :roll:
  18. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    If not more, all pretty much in the same game, same dogs etc..
  19. Kalasin

Kalasin New Member

Name:
    Kalasin
    How many have you seen with VWD? :? again with the statistics please. What is the prevalence?
  20. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    There have been a few.:roll: Ill ask you again, did you SEE the the results for the VWD tests your breeder had done? A few dogs have been done, but have all the results been made known? Just a question.
  21. bint

bint New Member

Name:
    Susan
    Sometimes it is very difficult to know who is telling the truth! There have been some very unscrupulous people involved in this type of dog over the years and so many little cliques supporting them, sometimes without even realising what's going on! This is not hearsay, this is fact.